If They Built EPCOT Today...

SMRT-1

Original Poster
I was just thinking what would EPCOT be like if they built it today? What would have been done differently? What would they include that was not possible in 1982? I think with such recent updates to Test Track, Future World is looking a little more "futuristic" to today's standards.

Jim Chandler

IMHO it might not be much different than it is now. It seems they try and stay ahead of the curve but we all know the curve today is so much smaller than it was even just 10yrs ago never mind30 yrs ago.
What is notin the park right now that is not now or the immediate future.
Space travel we are doing we are just going further out.
Maybetheonlything would be under the sea.
What is the future is that I do not see it moving as fast in new things as it did from the 60s to 2000

Timekeeper

I was just thinking what would EPCOT be like if they built it today?

Journey Into Meg Crofton's Imagination

...Or Lack Thereof

11653741-large.jpg

:eek:

Mr.Skunkape

It would look nothing like the EPCOT we know today. If Disney said they're going to build an area as large as worldshowcase and that it only has 2 rides in it people would go nuts. Fantasyland is adding 2 new rides in a much smaller area and you hear people saying that it is not enough.

lazyboy97o

It would look nothing like the EPCOT we know today. If Disney said they're going to build an area as large as worldshowcase and that it only has 2 rides in it people would go nuts. Fantasyland is adding 2 new rides in a much smaller area and you hear people saying that it is not enough.
Substance need not be rides. That's what the Fantasyland Expansion truly lacks.

bethymouse

;) I guess TT 2.0 is now up to date!
Mission Space could be updated w/ a trip to another planet w/o Gary Sinise?;)
Spaceship Earth always fits in IMHO.;)
Universe of Energy needs an update w/o Ellen IMHO.;)
The music is great! The fountain is perfect!:)

Club Cooloholic

Journey to the Center of the Earth Sponsored by Chevron
An exciting ride that shows the magic of fracking and how it helps our world by providing wonderful natural gas!
Sit in your water drop shaped car and watch a wonderful 360 movie on how awesome natural gas with your host the funny and bumbling Joe the regular guy Natural Gas Driller(played by Rush Limbaugh) , the movie and ends then the cars start to move simulating the water shooting through the various levels of the earth down to the shale. Boom we hit paydirt the ride speeds up to 50 mpgs and rockets us into a nearby underground spring, wow now it's a water raft ride! Finally we get dropped off at the giftshop to purchase your very own reverse osmosis water filter featuring two beloved Disney Icons (choose from either Stich or Duffy the Bear) so you don't ever have to worry about those dangerous fracking chemicals at home.

MarkTwain

I got to ask this exact question to Marty Sklar once. His response (to my surprise) was that his #1 change would be to put the entrance in the middle of the park, roughly between World Showcase and Future World, to make the park more manageable and so guests could choose which side they wanted to see first. Apparently some of the proposals for EPCOT Center actually had this feature. Definitely wasn't expecting that answer, though.

sweetpee_1993

My first thought was that they wouldn't build it at all because it would cost a lot of money. Then, I gave Disney the benefit of the doubt. Okay so maybe they would announce it at the next D23 expo but ground won't be broken for at least 3-5 years and construction wouldn't complete for at least 15-20 years.

Epcot does need more rides in the world show case. 2 water rides just doesn't cut it even when they opened. I like Epcot just when you have kids that want to ride rides. I ride or more rides would not hurt the feeling.

s8film40

They essentially over the years have rebuilt Epcot. You need look no further than the park that is today to see what they would do if they built Epcot fresh. Just imagine Future World without the preexisting structure and remnants of former versions of the attractions. Test Track was pretty much a new attraction not that long ago and they seem to be using the ride technology currently so it's safe to say a new Epcot would include TT, they just wouldn't need such a large building for it. Mission Space is a fairly recent addition and built new from the ground up. I think it's a safe bet as well probably with very few changes. Obviously they wouldn't want WoL, they have it sitting there and CHOOSE not to operate it. UoE is basically an overlay on the original. I don't think they would include an energy attraction now days maybe just some interactive energy exhibits with corporate sponsorship. As for Imagination again this was rebuilt pretty much, just within the shell of the former attraction. The key points I would take away from this is less figment less ride. I think it would be a significantly scaled down pavilion, maybe just a small exhibit. The Land served an opportunity to clone an attraction from elsewhere, I think the Epcot built today would likely have several such cloned attractions. The Seas again was pretty much a complete redo. They wouldn't need the big fish tank obviously, I think the seas pavilion would be more like the Little Mermaid in FL a small dark ride, maybe a turtle talk show next to it. SSE seems to have been their biggest obstacle. It's in the entrance, it's an icon, and it's difficult to change whats inside. If you look at what they have changed though the emphasis has been on interactive exhibits and games. I think elements of SSE would simply be incorporated into a much larger inovention/merchandise area that would serve as the focal point of the park. As for WS I don't think they would put this in the park, I think they would maybe build that as a shopping dining area and take whatever direction the tenants chose on that area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom