If the descent touchscreens were in Project Tomorrow,they wouldn't even draw a crowd!

And judging by your username, I'm glad to see the Epcot now appeals to the South Park crowd. I bet your going to like, like, make the raddest, silliest face at the camera on Spaceship Earth!

So let me get this straight? South Park fans are immature morans? Have you done some sort of nationwide poll in order to draw that conclusion?

I think that is because it is the "details" that seperate Disney from the rest
I agree, but the constant complaining and bickering between everyone re: SSE, as well as other things, has gotten out of hand. How many more threads are needed about the evils of SGE, how crappy SSE has become, etc. And, as a side note, I didn't appreciate the head-banging-against-a-wall smiley. Unless you are some high-up WDW exec, this is a site designed for friendly WDW discussions by WDW fans, and my opinions are just as valid as yours.

EpcotMark

If people are satisfied that the reason for visiting the star attraction in the park is to make a funny face at the camera and watch yourself on a cartoon character, then we have truly lost Epcot for good.

R.I.P.

I agree with this guy. In fact, the shear number of threads criticizing the descent of the new SSE, speaks for itself and gives indication of yet another oops in Epcot. (Lest we forget Imagination.) Pseybert is entitled to his own opinion and I agree with it. Epcot has still many wonderful qualities (notably the world showcase) but there has been a perpetual brain drain persistent in future world for a long time. (Mission Space is intelligent though.) WDI has some good ideas, but they have to deal with corporate pressures and when they suck up to the sump pump of commercial capitalism, we see the current result. But I sure wish WDI would bring back Larry Gertz.

Enderikari

I love that I'm being a flamed for discussing something within WDW. Which, is of course, the point of these boards.

I care a lot about Spaceship Earth. It's one of those things I can pick out as being amazed by on my first visit to the World.

Actually, you are being flamed for the sheer arrogance it takes to say something like this

Hey Bert! said:
Honestly, how is it that I am smarter than WDI these days?

Really? You? Do you know any Imagineers? Have you seen the pressures of budget, timing, executive opinion, internet speculation, and the truly crazy ones who demand to know more than they are entitled to?

You don't. In fact, I would go as far to say you don't know anything about Walt Disney World at all. Sure, you may visit once or twice a year. And experience all the cool things as a guest amongst the things created for you.

But when it really comes down to it, the nitty gritty of operating A: The largest single-site employer in the world B: The single most attended vacation destination in the world C: One of the most closely examined enormous arms of a fortune 100 company, is beyond you.

Its kind of like my old metaphor, I'll bring it back for you now.
Me said:
Let's say there's this guy, and every week, for the past 5 years, he has gone to this bakery, let's call it Roy's Bake Shop on Wednesday, because he is a fan of their chocolate cake. And every Wednesday, for 5 years, he has bought a piece of chocolate cake, and eaten it on the spot. He raves to all of his friends, relatives and co-workers about Roy's delicious chocolate cake, and really expresses himself as an expert of Roy's chocolate cake.
Of course, he doesn't actually have the recipe (he only knows a few of the ingredients) for Roy's Chocolate Cake, and really doesn't have the acumen to reproduce it in the kitchen anyway; but this guy is a huge fan of Roy's Chocolate Cake.
Now, this guy has become such a fan of Roy's Chocolate Cake, that he starts suggesting things to Roy to add to the chocolate cake, not really knowing the original ingredients in the first place. The suggestions aren't really taken to heart by Roy in the baking of his chocolate cake; knowing that the guy isn't a baker by trade. This only midly upsets the guy, but he shrugs his shoulders, and still continues to buy the chocolate cake that he has loved for many years. However, this guy has been eating Roy's Chocolate Cake for so many years, the cake has begun, not only to taste plain to him, but also is no longer (in the eyes of this guy) known as Roy's Chocolate Cake, but instead he thinks of it as "That Guy's Chocolate Cake."
Unfortunately, even the perceived ownership that that guy has towards the cake doesn't make it his cake, and one day, for whatever reason, Roy decides to change the recipe, adding and subtracting ingredients to produce what Roy thinks to be a better cake, after all, it is his cake.
That Wednesday, this guy walks into Roy's Bake Shop, and orders the chocolate cake. As he sits down to enjoy the meal he has been expecting (even though the cake has begun to taste plain to him, due to his familiarity with the cake), he bites into the cake and realizes that the cake has noticeably changed. He begins this tirade, leaving the store in a rage. For the rest of his days, he tells all of his friends, co-workers, and family that Roy's Chocolate Cake really went down hill, and his friends smile and nod, because they, as a group, now go every Wednesday to Roy's Bake Shop, to enjoy their chocolate cake.

Pseybert

Original Poster
Amen to that. Is it just me, or are people complaining more and more about the most minute of details?

Since when is Spaceship Earth a minute detail?

You don't. In fact, I would go as far to say you don't know anything about Walt Disney World at all. Sure, you may visit once or twice a year. And experience all the cool things as a guest amongst the things created for you.

I guarantee I know more about WDW than you do. There is simply no excuse for the state of this attraction. Why do you feel the need to defend it by trying to degrade my knowledge of the World?

Since when is Spaceship Earth a minute detail?quote]

SSE isn't a "minute detail". It is the icon of Epcot both past and present. I was actually referring to a previous post in this thread.

But, even you have to admit that sometimes people waste a lot of energy on bickering about what SHOULD be done about SSE and about a million other WDW-related topics. These kinds of posts will eventually lead to two or more people responding pompously because they of course, are the reincarnations of Walt himself, and therefore know exactly the right course of action to follow.

I've said it before. These threads, for the most part, are posted by amateurs who love Disney and especially WDW. Some have more knowledge than others, but what's the point in fighting about it? It seems incredibly childish to pick a "I know more than you do" fight.

One of the problems with making changes to something as iconic as SSE is that a lot of people want the attraction to virtually remain the same as it was before a refurb.. People who experienced Epcot as small children in the 80s seem to want things to be like they were 25 years ago. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that this will happen.

Other fans have very specific ideas on how the finished product should be. These fans are oftentimes disappointed.

We've had about 15 SSE-refurb-is-awful threads during the last several weeks, and I think everything up until now has been said...I miss 80s Epcot too, but what's the point in fighting about it?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don't consider the idea that us fans want it "just like the 80's" version, but it's so clear that the ending of the ride does not fit in any way with the rest of it.

Take a serious narrative about the history of civilization, add some super high-tech animatronics to make it even more realistic, and suddenly you're supposed to choose your own future as a cheap cartoon doing things that are not realistic at all.

Tell me HOW that fits in anyone's mind???

Miss Stitch

If you guys are going to complain SO MUCH about the tiniest unsatisfactory, why do you even go anymore? :brick:Do you guys know what I'd give to get to go see these new attractions that nobody lets anyone hear the end about how "awful" they are? You guys get to go to the most desirable theme park and people STILL find a million reasons to complain about it. Be happy you even get to go in the first place.

I don't consider the idea that us fans want it "just like the 80's" version, but it's so clear that the ending of the ride does not fit in any way with the rest of it.

Take a serious narrative about the history of civilization, add some super high-tech animatronics to make it even more realistic, and suddenly you're supposed to choose your own future as a cheap cartoon doing things that are not realistic at all.

Tell me HOW that fits in anyone's mind???

I'm not saying that the dreaded touchscreens are appropriate, necessary, or desirable. I'm sure that several people on these boards could have come up with something ten times better. But that's just it. We don't have the power to make such decisions. The general consensus is that the touchscreens are terrible. Granted. But what's the point in 15 threads complaining about the same thing? If I had my way, I'd bring back Mr. Toad, and 20,000 Leagues, but I have no authority, and no amount of griping from anyone, myself included, will change it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If I had my way, I'd bring back Mr. Toad, and 20,000 Leagues, but I have no authority, and no amount of griping from anyone, myself included, will change it.

The second version of Imagination got improved and Figment was brought back, Mission:Space added a non-spin&puke version, the submarines came back to life in DL...just because you dont think things can change, if enough of people hate it and show it, then Disney will listen.

That doesn't mean I agree with 15 threads on the subject, but the sentiment is still there and quite valid

scasta86

While I agree that there are many forums discussing the new changes to Spaceship Earth, I also think that the Pseybert has a very valid point in saying if what the touchscreens show now was presented in Project Tomorrow it is a safe bet to say that they would not be the most popular or awe-inspiring displays. They do not present a realistic view of the future, don't really add that much to the guests' experience and and they don't inspire, inform, or compell to action. :shrug:

Tom Morrow

If you guys are going to complain SO MUCH about the tiniest unsatisfactory, why do you even go anymore? :brick:Do you guys know what I'd give to get to go see these new attractions that nobody lets anyone hear the end about how "awful" they are? You guys get to go to the most desirable theme park and people STILL find a million reasons to complain about it. Be happy you even get to go in the first place.
This is a cop-out, and its attitudes like this that make it ok for such blatantly terrible ideas to actually make the final cut.

When you are very passionate about something, it doesn't mean you can't criticize certain aspects of it. Obviously we all will still enjoy our time at Epcot with this new version of SSE, and I'll still probably ride it each time. But the parks and rides, like any form of entertainment, are open to criticism.

Heres an analogy: Lets say your favorite music artist puts out a bad album. A true fan would admit that album's faults, rather than blindly accepting it and saying its great. You could say "I am so grateful that they are simply still making new music!" but if its bad, why would you want to listen to it?

goofyfan13

I agree with this guy. In fact, the shear number of threads criticizing the descent of the new SSE, speaks for itself and gives indication of yet another oops in Epcot. (Lest we forget Imagination.) Pseybert is entitled to his own opinion and I agree with it. Epcot has still many wonderful qualities (notably the world showcase) but there has been a perpetual brain drain persistent in future world for a long time. (Mission Space is intelligent though.) WDI has some good ideas, but they have to deal with corporate pressures and when they suck up to the sump pump of commercial capitalism, we see the current result. But I sure wish WDI would bring back Larry Gertz.

The only problem with this is, the members of this board are nothing more than over-critical fan-boys/girls. Everyone's opinion is valid, however, because there are a lot of threads here complaining about SSE, doesn't mean that the average guest isn't satisfied with the new SSE. Simply put, we don't represent the average guest.

Case in point, people complain that rides like WOM, and TLS were replaced by TT and Nemo respectively. Now, the popularity of these attractions on a day to day basis is much higher than their previous versions. Now do I think that TT and Nemo are better attractions than WOM and TLS? No...but I don't represent the majority of guests that travel to WDW, and simply put, they aren't as into the plot immersion of the old attractions as we are, as sad of a reality as that is.

Pseybert

Original Poster
I also think that the Pseybert has a very valid point in saying if what the touchscreens show now was presented in Project Tomorrow it is a safe bet to say that they would not be the most popular or awe-inspiring displays. They do not present a realistic view of the future, don't really add that much to the guests' experience and and they don't inspire, inform, or compell to action. :shrug:

Thank you.

BTW, I rode the other day, and when Judi Dench told me to "Thank the Phonecians," I turned around and screamed "Thank You!"

Main Street USA

Thank you.

BTW, I rode the other day, and when Judi Dench told me to "Thank the Phonecians," I turned around and screamed "Thank You!"
It doesn't matter if it's a valid point. The SAME point has been made several times in EXISTING threads. You've said nothing new or original at all. You started this thread seperately for the sole reason that YOU want YOUR opinion to be heard over everyone else's. Ugh. Some people just don't get it.

Oh, and by the way, I'm sure those around you really appreciated you calling out in the middle of the attraction like that. If you think for one second that anyone was anything other than annoyed, you're sadly mistaken. Yet another example of extreme immaturity your part. You're just like the idiot teenagers and kids (and some adults) who think it's funny to let out a fake scream when the lights go down in the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion....or the other morons who think it's cool to spiel along with the video in the library at ToT.

It's great to have fun at WDW, but not when it affects those around you in a negative way. Use your head and have some manners.

Pseybert

Original Poster
It doesn't matter if it's a valid point. The SAME point has been made several times in EXISTING threads. You've said nothing new or original at all. You started this thread seperately for the sole reason that YOU want YOUR opinion to be heard over everyone else's. Ugh. Some people just don't get it.

Oh, and by the way, I'm sure those around you really appreciated you calling out in the middle of the attraction like that. If you think for one second that anyone was anything other than annoyed, you're sadly mistaken. Yet another example of extreme immaturity your part. You're just like the idiot teenagers and kids (and some adults) who think it's funny to let out a fake scream when the lights go down in the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion....or the other morons who think it's cool to spiel along with the video in the library at ToT.

It's great to have fun at WDW, but not when it affects those around you in a negative way. Use your head and have some manners.

Wait, I'm confused. Why am I wrong for performing an action the narrator asked me to do? Perhaps they should remove that horrid line from the script if it's going to "affect those around me in a negative way." :brick:

MythBuster

I'm not basing my opinion on nostalgia. I think TOT is creatively one the top 3 rides at WDW. Other newer attractions like Philharmagic and DL's Indiana Jones are certainly jewels in the Imagineering crown. But look at all the duds these guys and gals have built in the last 10 years. MILF may be vastly improved but it's still a disappointment. It's a copy of Turtle Talk that isn't as entertaining as the original. If it wasn't across the walkway from one of the worst Disney attractions ever, I imagine MILF would be considered an unequivocal failure.

Mission: Space (and Everst, too) had the potential to really deliver in a thoroughly engaging way, but ultimately, they're not up to classic WDI standards in terms of giving the audience an unforgettable show (M:S might be more successful at this than Everest is).

But I still think this generation of Imagineers isn't up to the creative standards of WED circa 1969. I don't think that's being nostalgic, just realistic.

If you really want to be realistic, then think about the number one factor involved: MONEY

Yes, it comes down to money. The dreaded beancounters are controlling WDI not the other way around. In 1969, it was a different corporate environment then.

I have worked with many WDI engineers and there is so many different divisions of WDI. Creative gets all the ideas flowing with new ideas and great innovations and just a lot different and creative ideas. Then they present to management and see if they will fund the project. If it is green lighted, then the design team has to design something that will fit in that budget.

So if WDI had a unlimited budget, then you would see some amazing things!!and then of course, ticket prices and everything would be a lot higher also.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's not all budget though.. knowing how to spend the budget you're given is inherent to the creative design realm.

Budget: Tiny Screens used for a few mins in the ride or Elaborate sets?

I vote sets.

Pseybert

Original Poster
If you really want to be realistic, then think about the number one factor involved: MONEY

Yes, it comes down to money. The dreaded beancounters are controlling WDI not the other way around. In 1969, it was a different corporate environment then.

I have worked with many WDI engineers and there is so many different divisions of WDI. Creative gets all the ideas flowing with new ideas and great innovations and just a lot different and creative ideas. Then they present to management and see if they will fund the project. If it is green lighted, then the design team has to design something that will fit in that budget.

So if WDI had a unlimited budget, then you would see some amazing things!!and then of course, ticket prices and everything would be a lot higher also.

If you read my original post in this thread, you would have seen a pretty common sense way they could have saved tons of money. Lack of money wasn't an issue this time around, but perhaps there should be a much larger budget for both imagination and creativity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom