Trip Report If At First You Don't Succeed...*COMPLETED*

Well we're trying again.

Easter week at WDW.

Not my favorite week to visit but when your travel buddy is a teacher, you make the sacrifice. Except this year it doesn't feel like a sacrifice. The loss of our Easter 2020 vacation (thanks to COVID) was harder than I expected. I’m excited to have the chance for a do-over!

Of course the plans we had in 2020 aren't the same for 2021. We'll have no Fastpasses to skip the long lines. There will be no turkey sammie for lunch at Be Our Guest or All-American Sundae from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. No fireworks to conclude our Disney days. And we'll be staying at a different resort.

But that's all okay....there's still fun to be had! And thanks to the credit we received from last year's cancellation, most of our trip is already paid.

I have to give David's Vacation Club Rentals props. Eighteen months ago I'd signed a "no refunds" contract for our 2020 points rental, figuring it was a low-risk gamble. When the pandemic happened and WDW closed, we considered our monies lost ~ disappointing for sure, but understanding that was the result of the risk we took. After all, David's is a business which would also lose money from this pandemic. Legally they did not have to do anything for us. Yet I received a travel voucher for the full amount we paid.

I hope to report live on the adventures of Tuvalu and Em beginning next Sunday. Time will tell if I succeed. ;)

3D585BEC-14E4-4156-9423-5BCD6271BEF2.jpeg

(Must have been a Callan photo shoot. :hilarious:)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Late catching up but All Star Sports did the same thing to my mom and I a couple years ago. In addition to the King sized bed we were also in a handicap accessible room that did not have a tub or shower stall but just a curtain and a drain on the floor. But when we called to try to get a new room they did not have any rooms with two beds available but the adjoining room was available so they gave us that room as well so we each ended up with our own King bed and our own bathroom so it worked out in our favor.
I’m glad to hear that what began as very awkward ended well for you!

And the camera on buzz we did work out which flash it was one year as we did a different face for each one but I just can’t remember now which one it was - sorry - but try that idea next time you’ll work it out.
Thanks for the suggestion. :happy:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, April 11

I am amazed at how quickly Em can get up and out the door. I want to be out of our room by 7am. She climbs out of bed at 6:45am and we are hauling our luggage out of the room exactly fifteen minutes later.

We load the car and make a very short drive.

82F1B017-D25D-4D77-B018-F281E1F53BB0.jpeg

We arrive in plenty of time for our breakfast ADR. The restaurant isn’t even open yet. There are a couple other families milling around the entrance. When a CM appears at the check in desk (about ten minutes prior to opening time) he is nearly bombarded by a man who could moonlight as a bouncer, along with three teenage males.

Though we can’t hear the conversation it is pretty clear the man expects his party to be allowed in for breakfast. Lots of angry gestures. I suspect they are Contemporary resort guests....who haven’t done their homework.

F8844E73-194B-433D-9F86-4AADCBA41EB2.jpeg

(I didn’t realize until now that he’s in this picture. Oops!)

The CM holds his ground and they are turned away. The man and the teens reunite with a woman and three more teens near the Outer Rim bar.

They are upset because their party of EIGHT can’t just walk in for breakfast at Chef Mickey’s?

Songbird76

Hoping to get lucky does not always make one clueless......getting angry because you didn't get lucky is wrong.
But why would you get angry if you knew that it was a long shot and you'd be lucky to get in? I'd say it was probably being clueless, not hoping to get lucky.

There do seem to be a lot of people who don't do their homework. For some, it works....they feel extra magical when there are suddenly characters at their meal, etc. It's the ones who just show up and expect to be let in first without a reservation, etc who are so annoying. There was a couple on ECVs on one of our trips...maybe 2016? We approached Akershus to check in for our ADR and this couple didn't have an ADR, so they were asked to wait, and then they were annoyed that we got a table before they did when they had been ahead of us in the check-in line. Even outside of Disney, if you don't have a reservation, people who do will be seated before you...why would that bother you? That's how it works!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The disgruntled party is gone by the time my phone buzzes that our table is ready.

We go to the check in area and our temperatures are taken.

We have never been to Chef Mickey's for breakfast. Years ago (and I'm talking years) dinner at Chef Mickey's was a family staple.

Three words: Parmesan Mashed Potatoes

I have the recipe but they don't taste the same. But they were so good that when I traveled solo with my college age son (who was paying his own way) he remarked: "Will I pay $35 for Chef Mickey's potatoes? YES I WILL."

As you know, self-service buffets are currently unavailable. Food is brought to tables family style. The former buffet space is being used to plate and store food for the servers to grab and go.

08B2BCCE-80C1-42B9-B9FA-8FB3573D9254.jpeg

Em and I are led to the small back room where the monorail enters. Lots of tables have been removed and only a few parties can be accommodated here.

0B750E7C-8DBD-436B-AEB3-13444FA4720A.jpeg

C827965B-EA6F-4537-8C04-CC68E626BDEC.jpeg

We choose to sit beside each other so we can see the characters when they arrive. We don't need to be "in" the picture with any of them.

2E053351-7662-4445-8358-9A99EEF72583.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Our server asks if we want coffee. Em nods.

"We also have juice and soft drinks," she adds.

I ask what kinds of juice. I stop her when she begins, "and a special blend of passion fruit, orange...."

POG juice!!! The must-have Disney breakfast juice.

97B5249E-16B0-4A62-8BDD-B091A8CF4808.jpeg

Em is quick to pipe in, "I'll have a glass of POG juice too."

Our food is brought by a runner. And run he does! As soon as he puts down the sweet rolls, he leaves to get the pancake and french toast....puts them down....and runs to get the savory items....depositing them on our now-crowded table.

It's a bountiful harvest which is way too much food for the 2 of us.

Fresh fruit cup, yogurt parfait, strawberry rolls and cinnamon-sugar fritters
6C74A869-E002-4090-A8FF-C9179D86707A.jpeg

The fritters are tasty (though I wish were warmer) but the strawberry rolls are just....odd. They are the same Parker House rolls served at most WDW restaurants now (we had them at Liberty Tree Tavern and Kona) only with some strawberry flavoring. Not a necessary (nor good) addition IMO.

Mickey Celebration pancake, banana bread french toast
48444880-179A-4E47-9929-1E8BFE7C4F37.jpeg

The pancake tastes like a pancake. The french toast has an espresso whipped topping which neither of us care for.

Loaded potato-cheese casserole; skillet with eggs, bacon, sausage, brisket and Mickey waffles
AD0F570E-7890-4AE8-A7A7-86DEDDCD6518.jpeg

For me, the potato-cheese casserole is the breakfast version of Parmesan Mashed Potatoes.

Sooooo yummy!

(@Darstarr has the recipe but don't ask her to make it. I'll let her share the story if she wants to.)

The bacon is extra crispy the way we like. Eggs are fine. The brisket is flavorful and we get a ton of it (though only sample one slice.) We pass on the sausage and only take a bite of a Mickey waffle, because how much sweetness is necessary in one meal?

There are enough leftovers for two more breakfasts. We feel bad wasting food but cannot put another thing in our bellies.

93boomer

Premium Member
Our server asks if we want coffee. Em nods.

"We also have juice and soft drinks," she adds.

I ask what kinds of juice. I stop her when she begins, "and a special blend of passion fruit, orange...."

POG juice!!! The must-have Disney breakfast juice.

View attachment 551030

Em is quick to pipe in, "I'll have a glass of POG juice too."

Our food is brought by a runner. And run he does! As soon as he puts down the sweet rolls, he leaves to get the pancake and french toast....puts them down....and runs to get the savory items....depositing them on our now-crowded table.

It's a bountiful harvest which is way too much food for the 2 of us.

Fresh fruit cup, yogurt parfait, strawberry rolls and cinnamon-sugar fritters
View attachment 551029

The fritters are tasty (though I wish were warmer) but the strawberry rolls are just....odd. They are the same Parker House rolls served at most WDW restaurants now (we had them at Liberty Tree Tavern and Kona) only with some strawberry flavoring. Not a necessary (nor good) addition IMO.

Mickey Celebration pancake, banana bread french toast
View attachment 551031

The pancake tastes like a pancake. The french toast has an espresso whipped topping which neither of us care for.

Loaded potato-cheese casserole; skillet with eggs, bacon, sausage, brisket and Mickey waffles
View attachment 551032

For me, the potato-cheese casserole is the breakfast version of Parmesan Mashed Potatoes.

Sooooo yummy!

(@Darstarr has the recipe but don't ask her to make it. I'll let her share the story if she wants to.)

The bacon is extra crispy the way we like. Eggs are fine. The brisket is flavorful and we get a ton of it (though only sample one slice.) We pass on the sausage and only take a bite of a Mickey waffle, because how much sweetness is necessary in one meal?

There are enough leftovers for two more breakfasts. We feel bad wasting food but cannot put another thing in our bellies.
Whoa that’s a lot of food! I don’t think 4 people could eat all that!🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The Fab Five pop in to visit.

2D6D3FA0-CC20-4C52-8B7F-2D25D656CC05.jpeg

E0BEF6F0-8FFC-40DC-82D7-5DEAC2F97D85.jpeg

8E5E26E3-3A06-45CD-8621-65FAA1BCA62A.jpeg

974CF3B2-5423-4299-9EE9-15D8BE6A87BA.jpeg

FB07B209-69CE-4FD5-921B-A010FC4B488E.jpeg

High props for the distanced "meetings." All of our friends take their time to interact with and pose for (in multiple positions!) each family. Later some music plays and three of them return to our room to dance. (No napkin waving/twirling however. ;) )

Though pricey, I feel breakfast at Chef Mickey's is a good value for the food variety and character interaction. Should I return with the Tuva-tinys, this will be a must-do.

And if we get the same table and the girls get to watch the monorail through the opaque windows, that will be a BONUS!
51C1E8F6-76BC-4E02-9B14-5D0E5BFE6D73.jpeg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Though we can’t hear the conversation it is pretty clear the man expects his party to be allowed in for breakfast.

Perhaps it "might" be that they assumed Breakfast would not require a reservation, unlike dinner, which is usually expected. (I was a little surprised, myself, to read here that a reservation was necessary for breakfast.) Then again, when I'm on vacation, I only grab a muffin and coffee "to go" someplace.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We finish breakfast in just under an hour.

Time to hit the road.

Heavy rain is in the forecast for FL and we want to beat it if we can.

I send the next two pictures to @Darstarr with, "Get here fast, the sun is out!!"

99B886FC-C628-47F8-97B6-8881AFE60003.jpeg

E2FC114B-F391-438D-9717-091C393D753D.jpeg

She is on her way up from South Florida. We had hoped for a quick meet but the timing doesn't work out. At Chef Mickey's I was able to "virtually" receive a fun present she had for me (photos can be found in her TR.)

We are in the car less than an hour when the rain begins. It is relentless for several hours. Traffic is horrible. We get rear-ended.

But Em and I would do it all again for the fantastic vacation we just had!

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Haha. You know I am making those this weekend! (With the tweak, of course😉)
The french toast has an espresso whipped topping which neither of us care for.
Why would they ruin perfectly good french toast like that?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Perhaps it "might" be that they assumed Breakfast would not require a reservation, unlike dinner, which is usually expected. (I was a little surprised, myself, to read here that a reservation was necessary for breakfast.) Then again, when I'm on vacation, I only grab a muffin and coffee "to go" someplace.
It’s certainly possible, but showing up at the restaurant well before opening and then pleading with the host for a table (or two in their case) indicated to me that they were aware of a reservation system.

I 💕 the cheese potatoes at Chef Mickey 😊
Old (Parmesan mashed) or new (loaded potato cheese)?

Or both? :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom