If a company similar to OLC in Japan was created and wanted to buy the Disney parks, would you embrace it?

AndyS2992

How did they ruin the place?
Poor maintenance, broken effects and animatronics everywhere, broken benches and faded paint on buildings, graffiti covered every queue and bathroom, CMs were often rude and miserable. The ‘Disney’ atmosphere just wasn’t there, I could go on.

Go to Disneyland Paris now and it’s completely different with all of these problems having being fixed. The parks are much better now under complete Disney control than under EuroDisney. But as I said, not really their fault they had limited money to work with,

Last edited:

el_super

Go to Disneyland Paris now and it’s completely different with all of these problems having being fixed.

TWDC spent a billion dollars fixing up the place when they took over. Seems a little difficult to blame EuroDisney for the lack of maintenance when the park just hadn't been making money for almost 30 years. They got bailed out.

ladybat2

However, the salad days of Disney World occurred long after Walt died. Other CEOs added and expanded the brand very admirably. Its just the current management that seems so far adrift from the company's traditional culture. It really shows you how far standards have declined that some would even contemplate Disney's crown jewel being in better hands with an outside company.
If we could know for sure the company that takes over running it would keep it more inline with Walt's style then for sure I'd love that. But it would be a gamble. I used to somewhat dislike Iger's way of doing things. Then the ones who came after him made me wish he was running things again! I don't know why I thought he was the one who messed things up. He was the one in charge when EPCOT first opened up right? In those days EPCOT was amazing! Its a pale shadow of its former self now. Whose idea was it to chop up the Imagination ride and Universe of Energy then eventually yank it out entirely and Horizons gone replaced by what? Test Track? God I hate that ride. And other replacement attractions seem like nothing more than cheap screen rides. I go to that park every time I make a WDW trip which is not very often since I live in Ca and have to pay for air fare. But every time I go to it I get depressed because it was sooooo beautiful and captivating when it was new and its nothing like that any more! I can't blame that on Iger.

lazyboy97o

The parks are much better now under complete Disney control than under EuroDisney. But as I said, not really their fault they had limited money to work with,
Disney always controlled Euro Disney. An SCA is a unique type of structure that allows a minority partner in the business to be the managing/controlling partner. That’s how Disney people moved back and forth between Disney and Euro Disney. Disney just wasn’t interested in fixing the financial situation they created because the resulting profits would be shared with others.

ladybat2

Mission Space actually ;) Test Track replaced World of Motion.. naturally.

Never having ridden Horizons or World of Motion and only seen video ride throughs, they both look pretty over hyped to me 🤷‍♂️
World of motion! Thats right! I guess its a matter of perspective. Some of us are cerebral dark ride kind of people and some are fast paced thrill ride adrenaline spike kind of people. Old hippies such as myself are more into the former. I miss those rides so bad. Don't get me wrong. I love thrills too but I want fantastic visuals with them. I can't wait to try out guardians and that new one in the star wars section. They look like a combination of both. But always my last day of all my WDW vacations are spent in the MK riding Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash and thunder and taking in the Tiki birds and the Presidents, and strolling up and down main street. Over and over again. I will never get tired of it. I saw Walt in person once at Disney Land when I was 5. He was riding in the back of a convertible in the day parade. I was in the front by the curb. He looked right at me and winked. I'll probably remember that on my death bed. (grin).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Poor maintenance, broken effects and animatronics everywhere, broken benches and faded paint on buildings, graffiti covered every queue and bathroom, CMs were often rude and miserable. The ‘Disney’ atmosphere just wasn’t there, I could go on.
They had no money. The resort was still suffering under its mountain of debt. 5 billion if I recall. But it wasn’t as bad as you make out. It wasn’t great, nor was it a ghetto. And I’m the first to talk about the problems it’s had.

yensidtlaw1969

You answered your own question. “Never having ridden”.
I'm grateful we're at a place now where camera technology is so advanced. The level at which attractions can now be preserved is impressive, even if it's never quite the same as just riding the actual thing.

Imagine trying to convince someone how amazing The Haunted Mansion was if all you had to show was 1987 VHS tape-quality video?

AndyS2992

You answered your own question. “Never having ridden”.
Alright, calm down lol

I'm grateful we're at a place now where camera technology is so advanced. The level at which attractions can now be preserved is impressive, even if it's never quite the same as just riding the actual thing.

Imagine trying to convince someone how amazing The Haunted Mansion was if all you had to show was 1987 VHS tape-quality video?

I'd think a grainy 1987 VHS would add to the experience of the Haunted Mansion, kinda like a found footage horror movie 😳

Vegas Disney Fan

If we could know for sure the company that takes over running it would keep it more inline with Walt's style then for sure I'd love that. But it would be a gamble. I used to somewhat dislike Iger's way of doing things. Then the ones who came after him made me wish he was running things again! I don't know why I thought he was the one who messed things up. He was the one in charge when EPCOT first opened up right? In those days EPCOT was amazing! Its a pale shadow of its former self now. Whose idea was it to chop up the Imagination ride and Universe of Energy then eventually yank it out entirely and Horizons gone replaced by what? Test Track? God I hate that ride. And other replacement attractions seem like nothing more than cheap screen rides. I go to that park every time I make a WDW trip which is not very often since I live in Ca and have to pay for air fare. But every time I go to it I get depressed because it was sooooo beautiful and captivating when it was new and its nothing like that any more! I can't blame that on Iger.
Card Walker gave us Epcot, Eisner was the one who gutted it. Eisner also gave us five mediocre parks in EuroDisney, HS, AK, DCA, and Disney Studios, Iger then took the next 2 decades “fixing” everything that Eisner built but not investing beyond that. (And Shanghai)

It’s amazing how parks as beloved and successful as Disneys have a long history of managerial failure. Eisner gave us new parks but they were underdeveloped half day parks (HS and AK)and outright bad parks (DCA and DSP), Iger spent decades fixing the problems and provided much better quality but only invested what was necessary.

I don’t think the company has had a good parks focused CEO in half a century.

Lilofan

Card Walker gave us Epcot, Eisner was the one who gutted it. Eisner also gave us five mediocre parks in EuroDisney, HS, AK, DCA, and Disney Studios, Iger then took the next 2 decades “fixing” everything that Eisner built but not investing beyond that. (And Shanghai)

It’s amazing how parks as beloved and successful as Disneys have a long history of managerial failure. Eisner gave us new parks but they were underdeveloped half day parks (HS and AK)and outright bad parks (DCA and DSP), Iger spent decades fixing the problems and provided much better quality but only invested what was necessary.

I think my best times at Epcot was during Millennium Celebration pre 9/11. For drunken enjoyment some scaled the pyramid at Mexico.

The Empress Lilly

There will never be another Walt Disney. I don't care who is in charge. The one and only is gone for ever. And what remained in the parks of his spirit, style and imagination are vanishing more and more each year.
Walt was unique. I know nobody with his intuitive sense of what works for an audience. I think this sense got trained as a cartoonist, an animator. Everything must be conceived of, or it doesn't exist. And it is expensive to produce. So throughout you ask yourself if something works for your audience. An art which Walt perfected. I'm convinced he walked all of Disneyland in his head, as a guest, before any spade went into the ground.

But the golden age of Disney parks were the three decades after Walt's passing....

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
The drastic decline in grooming guidelines in the US parks irks me to no end
It's really sad to see. I still remember getting a stern talking to from a manager because some of my hair was over my ear!! Nowadays, you can roll on stage with bed hair and it's a-okay. I hate to say this (because I love the park dearly) but Disney CMs now look no different than SWO team members. With lax grooming guidelines, Disney might as well toss the themed costumes because it's all ruined.

Vegas Disney Fan

Walt was unique. I know nobody with his intuitive sense of what works for an audience. I think this sense got trained as a cartoonist, an animator. Everything must be conceived of, or it doesn't exist. And it is expensive to produce. So throughout you ask yourself if something works for your audience. An art which Walt perfected. I'm convinced he walked all of Disneyland in his head, as a guest, before any spade went into the ground.

But the golden age of Disney parks were the three decades after Walt's passing....
I also think Walt only succeeded because of Roy, Walt alone would have bankrupted the company long before DL was even a concept, the partnership of dreamer and realist seemed to be a major factor in their early success.

ladybat2

Very interesting information thank you! What happened to Mr. Walker? Is he still around? So it was Eisner that chopped up Imagination and Universe of Energy and took away Horizons and World of Motion? Well for me he really ruined it. And it seems we never get any MORE or ADDED attractions. It seems they remove one then put another in its place but nothing actually more. But we do get more and more price increases. Nothing will change that unless the overwhelming majority of the human population collectively decides to stop going to Disney parks and resorts.

Vegas Disney Fan

Very interesting information thank you! What happened to Mr. Walker? Is he still around? So it was Eisner that chopped up Imagination and Universe of Energy and took away Horizons and World of Motion? Well for me he really ruined it. And it seems we never get any MORE or ADDED attractions. It seems they remove one then put another in its place but nothing actually more. But we do get more and more price increases. Nothing will change that unless the overwhelming majority of the human population collectively decides to stop going to Disney parks and resorts.
When he retired as CEO he was in his late 60s but he remained on the board into his 80s. When he died around 2005 he was in his mid 80s. He started working at Disney in the 1930s so he worked for Disney his whole life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom