Idiot on Letterman says she plays Poppins

crazydaveh

The local CBS station here in Otown also re-aired the clip with the local Cm several times yesterday during their newscasts... Mainly boasting that a local person was on Letterman, not that she played a character.

I don't think it's a big deal, like others have said, she tried to play it off, but Letterman kept going and she was cool about it.

I'm sure she'll be called into an office or two, chatted with, and then back out as a character.

If anything, she gained the mouse some free publicity among the 18-54 demo the last night of sweeps!

PLTram

Thursday night on letterman, a women in the audience playing a game said on national televison that she plays mary poppins in WDW. way to ruin the work of thousands who came before you that respected the position enough to not expose that. what a jerk

"Idiot?" "Jerk?" Since when do Disney fantasies outweigh common human decency?

MythBuster

Also, there are different type of characters, "costumed" characters and "face" characters. The pretty are usually the face characters, so she never wears a mask. She just wears more makeup and a wig and a dress. Mary Poppins can still relax in normal clothes.

Rob562

There was woman that was in Miss America that is/was The Little Mermaid in MGM. Was there alot of static over that? I met a guy in the parks that was telling me that is a MM character. He just got off work and was getting on a ride before going home (this was several years ago). Said his son knew, but didn't really comprehend what it meant.

And didn't one of the boy band (Backstreet/Nsync) members play Aladdin at one point? That was stated many times publicly, and the younger end of their audience's age bracket included kids that were still of the age who generally still believe...

-Rob

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thursday night on letterman, a women in the audience playing a game said on national televison that she plays mary poppins in WDW. way to ruin the work of thousands who came before you that respected the position enough to not expose that. what a jerk

I don't think she did any thing wrong.

She keep her character integrity until pushed for the whole truth.

It's not like she breached protocol and revealed a State Secret undermining national security.

Mr Bill

And didn't one of the boy band (Backstreet/Nsync) members play Aladdin at one point? That was stated many times publicly, and the younger end of their audience's age bracket included kids that were still of the age who generally still believe...

-Rob
I seem to recall Wayne Brady being good friends with Tigger.

DisneyDefenders

Wayne Brady was in N'SYNC ? :D

N*SYNC considered adding Wayne Brady to their group when they considered releasing a new album to compete with the new Backstreet Boys album. Since they're an all white boy band, they figured the black guy would help them sell records. :lookaroun

Oh and the so called Mary Poppins should never have revealed a secret as big as she did...I mean...it wasn't like Jack Bower was interrogating her! :lol:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
N*SYNC considered adding Wayne Brady to their group when they considered releasing a new album to compete with the new Backstreet Boys album. Since they're an all white boy band, they figured the black guy would help them sell records. :lookaroun

Oh and the so called Mary Poppins should never have revealed a secret as big as she did...I mean...it wasn't like Jack Bower was interrogating her! :lol:

Wow, I never have heard that. (Never did keep up with any of the boy bands anyway.)

I don't see the big deal, as she is a face character, she could be recognized anyway.

LoriMistress

Who cares if this woman said what she does at WDW. It's not like she works for the CIA or whatnot. She works for the Disney Corperation...not NASA.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Who cares if this woman said what she does at WDW. It's not like she works for the CIA or whatnot. She works for the Disney Corperation...not NASA.

True, but the company she works for has guidelines and rules about things such as these. It may not be rocket science, but it is called following the rules of employment.

Marley's Ghost

You know I saw a Mary Poppins in a movie I saw recently called....sound of music you think it was the Mary Poppins? someone should tell Disney.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Ashley Brown is currently playing Mary Poppins in the Broadway company of that show. Must she go around all the time pretending she actually is Mary Poppins? Can she never admit to anyone that she plays Mary Poppins? She recently received an Outer Critics Circle Award nomination for playing the role. Is she allowed to attend the ceremony and potentially accept her award, or would that undermine the integrity of the character?

Anneliese Vander Pol (from That's So Raven) is currently playing Belle in Beauty and the Beast. She's a fairly recognizable figure among the target audience of Beauty and the Beast. Disney has no problem using her name to help sell tickets to the show. If it was such a huge issue for them, she would not be appearing in every print ad that show is running right now, which proudly proclaims, "Starring Anneliese Vander Pol from That's So Raven as Belle."

Gorjus

Everyone is right in this argument. There are rules of Disney employment and there are "Basics" of behavior. CM's...what are the Basics? :D

Among the "Basics" are, I stay in character and play the part. And part of that is character integrity. So, no, she shouldn't have made it quite so clear that she portrayed Mary Poppins. However, who among us faced with such a nervous situation such as being on national television would hold it together long enough to think straight.

The girls mentioned from Broadway are not the characters, they portray the characters. If you want to meet them, you meet the actresses that portray Belle and Mary Poppins.

At WDW you meet the actual characters.

And recognizing someone who is friends with a face character?...:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: for me anyway.

Example: one day "Stephanie", who is friends with so many people goes to WDW and "hangs out" with Snow White for breakfast. Around noon, she leaves Snow White and goes to hang out with Aurora for the afternoon. Later in the evening she hangs out with Cinderella. Let's say I'm the character attendant or photographer who coincidentally has been assigned to work with Snow White, Aurora, Cinderella and (because she was hanging out with them) Stephanie for the day. I've now spent 15 hours with these women. I could get on the bus in the evening and sit right next to Stephanie and never know it was she that I have just spent the day with. Sometimes you can tell, but sometimes you can't.

Which is a little unnerving when someone comes up to you, face or fur, and says "great job today" and you reply, "do I know you?"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom