ID for a toddler on Southwest Airlines

TrentMom

Hi All. Has anyone flown on Southwest recently with a toddler? My DH and I are going to WDW with our DS, who is 2 and a half yrs old. I swore I read on their website, that no on under 16 needs an id. Then, a friend of mine who flew on another airline with a 2 yr old was given a hard time because she did not have id for her daugther. I just want to be prepared.

So, does anyone know do I need id for my DS?:veryconfu

Thanks
Trentmom
18 Days!!!!:slurp: :slurp:

TrentMom

Original Poster
NTI2002 said:
if the check in agent gives you a hard time abotu your toddler's Identification, just immediately have your child take a dump in his or her diaper, then promptly remove the diaper and hand it to the agent and say "here's your identification go and run a DNA scan" then take your tickets form his hand and get on your plane

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

TrentMom

Original Poster
Yellow Shoes said:
I agree with Ringo8n24 because I've seen those episodes of Airline also.

But your child is 2 1/2, so she should have a ticket. IF she does, she won't need ID.

However, if you are trying to sneak her in as a lap child, then you will probably be asked for a birth certificate. (I am NOT In any way suggesting that you are trying to beat the system and are anything less than honest. But some people don't hold themselves to very high standards.)

IMHO, it's worth whatever the ticket costs NOT to have to hold the kid on my lap!

I would never do that...My DS is way too active to stay on my lap for 2 and half hrs...LOL :lol: oh, and it is dishonest, too....:)

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
DS has a passport. I got it for him two years ago after my ex forgot both their birth certificates at her house when we were on our way to our Land&Sea. I got more grief from U.S. and Canadian Customs agents... I calculated after we go home that I had been lectured for two and three-quarter hours and could have been arrested or refused entry into a country at least four times - For a mistake _I_ didn't make!

Between my smooth-talking and my wardrobe of various U.S. and Canadian Gov't Agency golf shirts, I managed to convince the various law enforcement officers we were confronted [and chastised] by that we were truly who we said we were and were not in any way trying to question their authority to do their sworn duty...

I'm certain the only reason we successfully re-entered the U.S. after the cruise was that I was wearing a National Security Agency polo shirt that morning...

Now he and I will have passports any time we travel! My ex still hasn't bothered... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Yellow Shoes said:
True, but...

That's about $100, and for young children they're only good for 5 years or so (too lazy to look it up).

Unless you anticipate foreign travel (remembering that in 2007 trips to Mexico will require a passport) this is, IMHO, an unnecessary expense. Certified copies of birth certificates are around $10.

I'm 47 and have NEVER had a passport.

Some of us live lives of quiet desperation..........

Passports will be required for entry into US from Canada in 2007 as well.:brick:

Tink

Upvote 0

disneyislove

I know this isn't the same exact thing, but it's on the same idea. I just had a question. We're going to Disney in June and wer'e going with my four daughters (triplets and an older daughter!) my wife, and my niece (17) for her graduation present. I just wondered if anyone knew the policy of going with someone who is 'extended family' if there is anything she needs to do special. But she has the same last name, so should we just say she's our daughter?

Sorry if this seems wierd, I'm new and just trying to figure everything out.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any answers you might have!:)

Upvote 0

Heatherbell

Tinkershelly said:
Passports will be required for entry into US from Canada in 2007 as well.:brick:

Tink

If you go to the Caribbean as well, not just Mexico/Canada. Starting December 31st, 2006. :fork:

IMO, another government money making scheme.

Luckily we don't need passports for Disney.....yet :lookaroun

Upvote 0

lewisc

AngryEyes said:
Seriously, you guys. The child does not need an ID. There is no need to be on the safe side. It's clear cut.

The child does not need id to get through security. The child will need proof of age (copy of birth certificate) if the child is flying on an age related (youth) fare. A copy of a birth certificate is also needed if the child is a "lap baby" or is flying with an infant fare but that shouldn't be applicable in this case since the child is 2 1/2.

SW asks for proof of age for all lap babies, the honor system wasn't working and asking id for all infants avoids having debates with parents.

The OP said a friend had a problem when they didn't have id for a 2 year old. I suspect the 2 year old was either a lap baby or was flying with an infant fare.

Upvote 0
disneyislove said:
I know this isn't the same exact thing, but it's on the same idea. I just had a question. We're going to Disney in June and wer'e going with my four daughters (triplets and an older daughter!) my wife, and my niece (17) for her graduation present. I just wondered if anyone knew the policy of going with someone who is 'extended family' if there is anything she needs to do special. But she has the same last name, so should we just say she's our daughter?

Sorry if this seems wierd, I'm new and just trying to figure everything out.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any answers you might have!:)

Are you travelling internationally? If so then there are forms that need to be filled out by both parents and notarized stating that they know and approve of their child being in someone else's custody. I'm not sure about domestic travel. You should have medical insurance for her and make sure that you are legally allowed to authorize medical care for her in the case of an emergency.

I don't recommend lying about your relationship to her, it can cause a lot of problems and potentially delay your travel. Its always good to be completely honest with the authorities. Have picture ids and notarized documents ready and you shouldn't have problems. If you get caught in a lie you might have a lot of explaining to do and that may cause you to miss your flight or worse:cry: .

Just my $0.02 worth.

Tink

Upvote 0

disneyislove

Thanks for that information. That's pretty much what we were thinking, but it's always good to get reassurance. And, we are only traveling from the northeast of the US, so it's not long trip, so hopefully all will go well.

Thanks again!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom