Iconic Purple Directional Signs Being Replaced

Disstevefan1

I guess if your account is supposed to be a parody and critique of people who complain about the direction the company is taking, I can at least see what you're going for.

Otherwise, it just reads as reflexive negativity with no real thought behind it.
Depending on my mood either can apply.

Thanks for the analysis o_O

UNCgolf

Is bland fine? So much of our built environment is cheap, ugly and outright hostile because we accept the premise that bland is fine for so many things.

For road signs, I think yes. Their goal is to be functional and easy to read; not attractive.

That doesn't mean they can't also be attractive, but anything that distracts from the goal of getting people the information they need is a negative and potentially dangerous.

I also think there's a place for bland, in that if essentially everything in an environment is designed to attract attention, it actually detracts from the really significant pieces because they no longer stand out. You end up with something like the Rococo, which was just too much, at least for me.

JoeCamel

Are they expecting to add more to the 192 sign? All that space and such small representation of the road sign. Make it larger if possible so you can see it well down the way, the road is four lanes with a merge lane at that point I think so if someone needed to move over in heavy traffic they would have time?

solidyne

Of course they are clearer, they are new. The reflective coating has worn off of the old ones.

Road signs are reflective thanks to the glass beads, microprisms, or encapsulated lenses present on reflective sheeting. These materials bend light, so it comes back to the source, making road signs highly visible at night to drivers with their headlights on. There are three different grades of this sheeting: engineer, high-intensity, and diamond.

Engineer Grade Reflective Signs

Engineer grade signs use glass beads or prismatic optical technology to reflect light and have the lowest prices. Engineer grade signs have less visibility, usually around 400 to 600 feet, making them only suitable for non-critical uses. You will often see these signs in areas like parking lots and garages.

High-Intensity Grade Reflective Signs

High-intensity signs use cube-corner or prismatic material to offer superior reflectivity. Most cities use these for their traffic signs. You will also see high-intensity grade reflective signs used for barricades and construction zones. They provide better visibility than engineer grade signs and can be seen from around 800 to 1,200 feet away. They work well in areas where street lights can affect reflectivity.

Diamond Grade Reflective Signs

Diamond grade signs have the highest visibility, around 1,300 to 1,600 feet. They are used in areas where high visibility is critical, including interstate highways. These are the best option for cluttered urban environments that have a lot of lights and other signs.

Thank you!
Every once in a while you come to these boards and actually learn something that you never knew. Today was the day for me!👍
Yes, but wouldn't it have been nice if the
source of the cutting and pasting had been supplied?

At the very least, quotation marks?

Smiley/OCD

1. It sure looks like the signs need replacing.
2. I bet the new standard color paint is cheaper and that the old colors were a special order:
View attachment 676739
First off, the signs aren’t painted…they’re covered in a reflective film/sticker (if you will) as @bpiper said, the cost differential isn’t in the color, it’s in the different reflectiveness/quality of the film. I’ve checked with my friend who designs and builds signs and USUALLY, the only colors that are more expensive are metallic colors (gold, silver, bronze, etc) and custom colors, which would be a one time upfront charge to develop the color…once that’s done, they can run 50 miles of the film to cover every sign needed and have 20 miles left over for new/redone signs.
That all being said, I liked the purple/red/yellow signs…as others have said, it made you feel you were off I-4 and on property…if you couldn’t read the signs, maybe you shouldn’t be driving. Just my .02

Smiley/OCD

Is bland fine? So much of our built environment is cheap, ugly and outright hostile because we accept the premise that bland is fine for so many things.
THIS…let’s pull all the giant fiberglass characters out of POP, ASR and AoA and the people will complain that the resorts are just overpriced Holiday Inns and Motel 6’s…

LittleBuford

You end up with something like the Rococo, which was just too much, at least for me.
Your mention of the Rococo (which I personally love) reminded me of this travelling Disney exhibition, whose next stop is the LA area for those who may be interested:

Vegas Disney Fan

THIS…let’s pull all the giant fiberglass characters out of POP, ASR and AoA and the people will complain that the resorts are just overpriced Holiday Inns and Motel 6’s…

It’s a fine line between too bland and too much, I think Sassagoula floatworks is a good example of how toning it down can be an improvement.

B3D38D24-2AC4-46E6-B42F-1D48600A47CE.jpeg
73E2480D-B836-4C41-AD02-71E3C41444DD.jpeg

I find the rooms slightly boring now though.

Disstevefan1

First off, the signs aren’t painted…they’re covered in a reflective film/sticker (if you will) as @bpiper said, the cost differential isn’t in the color, it’s in the different reflectiveness/quality of the film. I’ve checked with my friend who designs and builds signs and USUALLY, the only colors that are more expensive are metallic colors (gold, silver, bronze, etc) and custom colors, which would be a one time upfront charge to develop the color…once that’s done, they can run 50 miles of the film to cover every sign needed and have 20 miles left over for new/redone signs.
That all being said, I liked the purple/red/yellow signs…as others have said, it made you feel you were off I-4 and on property…if you couldn’t read the signs, maybe you shouldn’t be driving. Just my .02
Thanks for the signage education! Makes sense it’s a wrap and not paint.
I agree I liked the old colors too.
I am impressed how much milage this thread is getting too.

lazyboy97o

For road signs, I think yes. Their goal is to be functional and easy to read; not attractive.

That doesn't mean they can't also be attractive, but anything that distracts from the goal of getting people the information they need is a negative and potentially dangerous.

I also think there's a place for bland, in that if essentially everything in an environment is designed to attract attention, it actually detracts from the really significant pieces because they no longer stand out. You end up with something like the Rococo, which was just too much, at least for me.
That’s not really a true choice. Things can be functional and attractive. They can also be well designed without being overly attention grabbing and garish.

UNCgolf

That’s not really a true choice. Things can be functional and attractive. They can also be well designed without being overly attention grabbing and garish.

Of course, but your response to me was also a false dichotomy. Bland doesn't automatically mean poorly designed or ugly.

UNCgolf

Your mention of the Rococo (which I personally love) reminded me of this travelling Disney exhibition, whose next stop is the LA area for those who may be interested:

I'm a big fan of the Baroque (especially in music, but in other areas as well), but the Rococo just took it too far.

That's not to say I hate ALL Rococo design, because it does work in places.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom