IASW Introducing Dolls in Wheelchairs

_caleb

Neo's correct.
If people are going to pat themselves on the back about how great showing a single disability is, where are the rest of the disabilities?
Not sure where youā€™ve seen anyone is ā€œpatting themselves on the back,ā€ but most of us here are celebrating one small step in a good direction.

Are you of the mind that unless everything can be done, nothing should be done?

Joel

The crazy thing is that no one ever had a problem with Disney showcasing people with weird kinks in Small World. I mean, millions of masochists have ridden it every year since its inception, but I've never seen anybody here complain!

ohioguy

I just find it amusing that people are fine with disability representation but not the representation of other cultures elsewhere (the Splash Mountain conversion). It's the same concept: Disney is updating the ride to reflect modern society.

Now before we get the obvious "But 'Small World' is all about other cultures", notice I said "elsewhere".

I guess one is a major change, the other minor, BUT the argument exists that it's two peas from the same pod, as they say.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just find it amusing that people are fine with disability representation but not the representation of other cultures elsewhere (the Splash Mountain conversion). It's the same concept: Disney is updating the ride to reflect modern society.

Now before we get the obvious "But 'Small World' is all about other cultures", notice I said "elsewhere".

I guess one is a major change, the other minor, BUT the argument exists that it's two peas from the same pod, as they say.

I don't think many people have a problem with Tiana having a ride, the problem is shoehorning her into a ride that is perfectly fine the way it is.

JIMINYCR

Itā€™s a positive move. WDW hosts many children in w/c and allowing them to see children in IaSW letā€™s them relate and view themselves as an acceptable part of the world and not separate. Even with disability awareness now being taught in many schools now, many children are still ostracized and feel set apart from their peers.
DW has been in a w/c for many years and goes into schools to do programs on disability awareness. She has a Barbie doll that is in a w/c that she takes as a prop.
Both adults and children can benefit from the addition to IaSW even if it just starts a positive conversation around accepting those with disabilities in the community. Maybe Dis can also include a service dog with one of the dolls.

Incomudro

Itā€™s a positive move. WDW hosts many children in w/c and allowing them to see children in IaSW letā€™s them relate and view themselves as an acceptable part of the world and not separate. Even with disability awareness now being taught in many schools now, many children are still ostracized and feel set apart from their peers.
DW has been in a w/c for many years and goes into schools to do programs on disability awareness. She has a Barbie doll that is in a w/c that she takes as a prop.
Both adults and children can benefit from the addition to IaSW even if it just starts a positive conversation around accepting those with disabilities in the community. Maybe Dis can also include a service dog with one of the dolls.
What about the children with other disabilities who do not see themselves represented by dolls in wheelchairs?
Where is their representation?
I'm pointing out the absurdity of the collective back slapping that so many people engage in over this stuff.
It's selective.
It's hypocritical.

Chi84

Premium Member
What about the children with other disabilities who do not see themselves represented by dolls in wheelchairs?
I'm pointing out the absurdity of the collective back slapping that so many people engage in over this stuff.
It's selective.
It's hypocritical.
Not all cultures and countries are represented in IASM, yet no one is upset about that. Your posts seem to concentrate more on the "back slapping" or "patting on the back" - the intentions of the people who designed the change - than on the actual inclusion of dolls in wheelchairs. Are you upset because you see this as some sort of "win" for a group you don't like, or are you actually concerned about the lack of representation for people with other disabilities? I only ask because sometimes people we don't like and normally disagree with can come up with a good idea for the right reasons.

Last edited:

thomas998

Just debuted at Disneyland, coming soon to WDW.

I adore this change.

Of course the irony is that Disney is bleeding money and missed it's projected earnings costing shareholders hundreds of millions. To the point that they are going to cut jobs, and yet they have money to spend on something as trivial as this. A lot of people won't notice it, it wasn't a big point of contention with people picketing in front of Small World... but it certainly didn't come cheap. Before Disney axes jobs like a lumberjack on a rampage they might want to reign in their woke crusade and get their house in order before spending money on things like this.... Frankly if they wanted this change someone should have asked how much revenue will it generate. Will it pull in more guests or keep guests from turning away? I doubt it does either, but it still cost a company money that they claim they don't have to spare.

thomas998

It's selective.
It's hypocritical.
It is, I have never seen any one armed dolls, no dolls with cleft pallets, no dolls with vitiligo, and on and on. If you are going to boldly showcase one disability why aren't you showcasing them all? And who decides which ones are worthy and which are not?

Californian Elitist

It's selective.
It's hypocritical.

It is, I have never seen any one armed dolls, no dolls with cleft pallets, no dolls with vitiligo, and on and on. If you are going to boldly showcase one disability why aren't you showcasing them all? And who decides which ones are worthy and which are not?
Youā€™re serious?

Have you ever complained about the ride not representing every single country, tribe, ethnicity, etc.? Where is hypocritical part? The idea that meaning is nothing without every single piece of the puzzle is absurd and incredibly dense.

Prince-1

Youā€™re serious?

Have you ever complained about the ride not representing every single country, tribe, ethnicity, etc.? Where is hypocritical part? The idea that meaning is nothing without every single piece of the puzzle is absurd and incredibly dense.

Of course he is serious even though he comes off as a joke. He and the other genius just like to say things to get a reaction. Basically just trolls who makes absolutely no sense at all.

Angel Ariel

Iā€™m totally supportive of the splash Mtn conversion, and excited to see the new theming :)

Angel Ariel

It's selective.
It's hypocritical.

Itā€™s called being a symbol. Many disabilities are invisible and would never be able to be depicted in a ride or figure of any kind. And yet representations of disabilities that can be depicted visually still communicates that disabled people are being thought of and considered - included - even if their specific disability may not be.

And yes, children are capable of understanding this at age appropriate levels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom