I would buy into DVC if....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If Disney devised a program around frequent weekend travelers utilizing the value and/or the moderate resorts.

With my current WDW visiting patterns the maintenance fees alone would be more then I spend per year at PORS. Factor in the buy in on top of that and the price really shoots up.

Nebrfan

We love Dixie Landings and have stayed there 5 times over the years. We also recently bought a Beach Club timeshare resale via the Timeshare Store, which was very easy to do.

That being said........ you can use your points to stay at any Disney hotel, including Dixie Landings (POR). The points are expensive for non DVC properties but it can be done.

Patsc85

Original Poster
We love Dixie Landings and have stayed there 5 times over the years. We also recently bought a Beach Club timeshare resale via the Timeshare Store, which was very easy to do.

That being said........ you can use your points to stay at any Disney hotel, including Dixie Landings (POR). The points are expensive for non DVC properties but it can be done.

Really? Well thats pretty cool. I learn something new about DVC everyday!

jakeman

A moderate DVC resort would be an interesting concept...

I'm not sure how it would be implemented though. Obviously the points per night would be less and the level of luxury (for lack of a better word) would be down a notch.

It seems that the lowering of points to stay there would have demand skyrocket. If not for new purchases, then at least for current members clamoring to save points.

SSR is great, don't get me wrong, but I would be just as happy at even Carribean Beach for 1/2 or 3/4 of the points.

bgraham34

I would have totally been a DVC member if my dang cesspool did not broke and $2000 worth of crap happening to my car.

I am planning on doing this in February when I go to DL. I would not be able to stay at GCH paying cash, discount or no! Yes, it will gobble up my points for the current use year, but I don't have any other plans for them right now, so what the heck!

JnKmon

Financial Justification?

If Disney devised a program around frequent weekend travelers utilizing the value and/or the moderate resorts.

With my current WDW visiting patterns the maintenance fees alone would be more then I spend per year at PORS. Factor in the buy in on top of that and the price really shoots up.

I don't see how you can justify DVC from a financial standpoint. I put together a quick spreadsheet that showed breakeven at year 16. Am I missing something?

maelstrom

My dad looked into DVC back when the only resort was Old Key West and it was actually just called the Vacation Club Resort. He said it wouldn't have been cost effective for us. I don't mind. We can still stay at any of the DVC resorts if we want by paying cash. I definitely want to stay at the Contemporary villas if they do indeed appear.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't see how you can justify DVC from a financial standpoint. I put together a quick spreadsheet that showed breakeven at year 16. Am I missing something?
If you go to Disney for around 1 week or more per year and stay in Deluxe accomodations it lines up to a break even point in around 6-8 years. It also helps if you have a party size of 4 or less. That seems to be the model that Disney has constructed DVC's value around. However, if you are like my family with 8-12 2-4 day trips per year that always include a Saturday and Sunday at a moderate or value resort it never seems to pan out. We also have a family of 5 which throws another monkey wrench into the DVC equation as the smallest room we can fit into is a 2 bedroom villa.

But to be fair it is not an apples to apples comparison as a 2 bed room villa at WL is considerably better that a room at PORS. So in truth we would be paying more but getting more at the same time. For me it comes down to what you see as a value in accomodations. I would rather buy the affordable Honda then the luxury Acura

If Disney were to come up with a program that would simply allow me to get X amount of nights per year at a moderate or value with the same 6-8 year break even point I would sign up in a second.

dixiegirl

they added DVC to Dixie Landings...::cough:: I mean Port Orleans: Riverside

Exactly why we ended up waiting 12 yrs( and kick ourselves)!!! When we went down for our Honeymoon 12yrs ago we Stayed at Dixie Landings which ended up being our favorite place to stay and did so for every year once, twice sometimes three times a year staying There ( It'll always be Dixie to us) to the point that we could recognize when they added new shrubs and grass, yes we pretty much knew the place like the back of our hand!!! Then last Sept 06 we decided to take a tour just for the heck of it at Saratoga Springs.. See what the DVC hype was all about...

Well needless to say after taking a tour and going over prices it made us sick to think that we could have paid twice over for a DVC membership for all the times we've been to Disney...Now we can still go once or twice a year, we usually book far in advance anyway for our annual Vacation in Sept, so that's still not a prob, even for long weekend or quick getaway bookings ( well we found anyway)... So last Dec 06 we went for first time staying at Saratoga, Yes , its not POR but rooms are pretty spacious , we've only done a studio as of now, I love haveing a kitchette , micro, toaster and fridge and if I choose, have a grocery order delivered..Its like anything else there are advantages and disadvantages....
My girls love the pool, slide and pool activities that they have for the kids....Its something that I think you can research, and ask people about it but must see for yourself if its for you. Now when we went this past Sept and checked out Animal Kingdom Villas....

Wow gorgeous!!!!! (hubby liked the flatscreen tv, me I liked the tub)... Sorry to ramble on but I can totally understand , I find the more we go to Saratoga i'm growing to like it more and more I've found some people like it othes do not, kinda like I found with (gasp) POR, you really have to find what you like!! To ask if I miss POR of course I do It was there that we realized How much we loved Disney World and could'nt get enough of the World, the dining hall and Boatwrights and I miss the arcade , Bob the piano man..Oh and Muddy Rivers...But I realize I can still go back anytime..But for now I enjoying looking out my Balcony and drinking my glass of wine while loving the view I have (if its available lol) Of Downtown Disney!!!

Phonedave

You just justified it. It breaks even at year 16, after that it's a savings.

For me the break even is at an earlier point (I only finananced about 3,000 on it)

But the point is, if it breaks even, then it becomes a savings.

Of course the $64,000 question is - in 16 years from now are you still going be to going to WDW with the same frequency and room type as in your analysis?

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom