I wish the Canadian Womens Hockey will stop being bashed for running up the score

SpongeScott

With its vast advantage in goal differential, Canada will be the home team in the gold medal game if its wins its semifinal match. Some Canadian fans back home - and U.S. defenseman Angela Ruggiero - accused the Canadian team of running up the score against Italy and Russia.
The Canadians deny any intimations of bad sportsmanship, but forward Hayley Wickenheiser warned they won't show much mercy.
"This is the Olympics, and it matters," Wickenheiser said. "If there was no goal differential that mattered, we would probably dump the puck in and sit back. But it makes a mockery at the same time when you just sit back. Fans don't want to see that ... If I was watching (the U.S.) scoring so many goals, I might wonder, too, but differential does matter."
Being the home team means the Canadians would get the last line change during the gold medal match. Their opponent would have to make substitutions first, and Canada would be able to respond.

MouseMadness

Wilt Dasney said:
I have to tell you, this is the first I've heard of this, and I am absolutely SHOCKED at what I'm hearing!

(I didn't know anybody in America was watching the Winter Games) :eek:

The whats? :veryconfu Are there horses involved? :lookaroun Because I'm so there.

I dont' suppose anybody else read the Romana books when they were little? She does an awesome version of the Star Spangled Banner. :lookaroun

*goes away and lets the boys argue some more* :eek:

Iakona

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
1st Of all you should get your facts straight. I said the American Womens Hockey team was complaining about how Canada was running up the socore, I never said anything about the total medals that each country has at the this point. Also Canada in general is a better & more powerfull Hockey nation then any country in the world & here are the facts to back that up. The Canadian Men & Women are currently the Olympic Gold Medal Champions in Hockey, the men won the 2004 World Cup Of Hockey, they have won the last to World Junior Hockey Championships & until last year they had won the previous World Hockey Championships in 2003 & 2004. The Canadian had won the Womens World Hockey Championship 8 staright years & the USA only won the last won in a shoot out & during that whole tournament Canada did not allow a goal in regulation or overtime play. Lastly Canadian fans do care about Hockey, expect living in the United States they never show the fans who love their teams win or lose, they always focus on the negative side. The reasons for Quebec City & Winnipeg moving the United States, is because their owners thought they couldn't make any money by having them stay in Canada. Besides there some cities in the United States that shouldn't have Hockey teams. Some of those cities are in Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina & etc. They only sell out when those teams are winning & when they lose no one could care less about Hockey.

WDW FAN 4 LIFE, don't let facts get in the way of your argument. Your quote:

"The way I see it is if the Americans are not winning medals in any sports, or not being the country that no one wants to go up against, then they find ways to complain & say things are not fair."

I put up the medal count as a counter point to your statement. A factual counterpoint.

Also, there are plenty of sports we do not win medals in and there is no complaining. You felt the need to ratchet this up by going from a dispute between 2 hockey teams to accusing an entire country of complaining. Sorry, but I am not letting that go without refuting it.

Is Canada a better hockey country than the US? Sure, but the US Olympic teams (in fact no team anywhere) should ever concede until the game is played.

As for the Women's hockey team walking on the Canadian flag, I never heard that, but IF they did then they should be ashamed of themselves. This team is not the Salt Lake Team and I won't brand them with that.

Also, find it in my post where I said Canadian fans do not care about hockey. I said they do not support them. Money is the measurement of that support and the fact is owners feel they will make more money in America than in Canada. Until teams start going from south to north this is a reality. If the Nashville owners lose money they will fold or move.
Fact is Canadian teams have gone south. Will an American team go North? Maybe, but it has not happened.

From what I have read 1 player from Team USA said something. If I were her coach I would have told her to shut up and play. In my opinion what she said is correct, saying it was dumb.

Have a nice day. :wave:

wannab@dis

SpongeScott said:
Some Canadian fans back home - and U.S. defenseman Angela Ruggiero - accused the Canadian team of running up the score against Italy and Russia.

:veryconfu

To Ghostbuster:

some Canadian fans > one US defenseman (in case you need a translation, > means greater than)

I think this quote has now been used to end this moronic argument.

Have a magical day! :wave:

edit: Scott, do you have the link to your quote?

Number_6

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
Well then how come the USA Womens Hockey games are not being shown on NBC, or being talked about?

The reason that the Team USA Hockey games (both Men's and Women's) are not being played on NBC is that they are being show live on "USA" network. Since it's one of the only team events in the Winter Olympics, NBC Sports thought it would be a good gimmick to have "Team USA on USA."

TAC said:
3] I don't think it's right for ANY professional athlete to be able to compete in the Olympics. The USA's "dream team" was a big farce, and I did not watch it. You might even notice that it's actually pretty difficult for the USA to field a mens basketball team because no one wants to play. In fact, the USA team did not even medal in the last Summer Games.

The thing about the "Dream Team" coming into the Olympics was that the Team USA Basketball team was getting beaten soundly most of the time in the Summer Olympics. Part of the reason for this was that many of the European teams were sending their professional players and not amatuers such as collegiate athletes. In order to try for at least balance, if not a major edge, Team USA sent their professionals as well. At that time, it was made up of many players that you would have never seen play alongside each other for any reason, which was why they called it the "Dream Team." Calling any team after that a "Dream Team" is ridiculous, but when the first one was formed, it was a more than suitable name, IMO.

dandaman

Iakona said:
"The way I see it is if the Americans are not winning medals in any sports, or not being the country that no one wants to go up against, then they find ways to complain & say things are not fair."

I put up the medal count as a counter point to your statement. A factual counterpoint.

Let me just rant for a minute (not necessarily about the task at hand).

It always seems that CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) coverage is lightyears ahead of both the quality and quantity of NBC. The "if they're not winning, they find things to complain about" thing I don't agree with. However, NBC is almost always biased, IMO, in their American coverage.

You might say, "Sure, they're an American company. Why wouldn't they be?" Well, CBC appears to show all of the other events happening as well, and not just Canadian competitions. Maybe it's just because NBC has to fit all the day's best coverage into a 3 hour primetime slot, but it still irks me all the same.

Regarding the medal count: I blame our government for improper athletic funding (and therefore less participants/pro athletes), but political discussions have not a place on these boards.

dandaman

SpongeScott said:
I would also gather that there are many more Americans who watch hockey than Canadians seeing how we have many more NHL teams than you do.

Here's what I've seemed to find: When it comes to Canadian teams, they're relatively spread out. However, fan loyalty always seems a whole lot more intense. Take the Leafs, for example. Lots of people across the country are diehard Leafs fans. Around here, even with the close proximity to Detroit, the majority of hockey fans root for Toronto.

Even if their favourite team is thousands of miles away, they stick to it. So, whether they be in Nunavut or the middle of Manitoba, I can guarantee that almost all Canadians have a preferred NHL team.

My point being: Quality, not quantity, makes good fans and therefore more viewers.

('Course, the fact that our pop. density is 3 per square kilometre might have something to do with the number of viewers :lol: )

Iakona

dandaman said:
Here's what I've seemed to find: When it comes to Canadian teams, they're relatively spread out. However, fan loyalty always seems a whole lot more intense. Take the Leafs, for example. Lots of people across the country are diehard Leafs fans. Around here, even with the close proximity to Detroit, the majority of hockey fans root for Toronto.

Even if their favourite team is thousands of miles away, they stick to it. So, whether they be in Nunavut or the middle of Manitoba, I can guarantee that almost all Canadians have a preferred NHL team.

My point being: Quality, not quantity, makes good fans and therefore more viewers.

('Course, the fact that our pop. density is 3 per square kilometre might have something to do with the number of viewers :lol: )

I think your quality over quantity point is true here as well. the perfect example is the Boston Bruins. When we as fans perceived a significant lack of quality due to, shall we say, cheapness (yet prices kept going up) by ownership the fans stopped going. We still love the Bruins, but refuse to pay premium prices for a sub-premium product.
There is also a lot more hockey in Canada to watch. The semi-pro leagues and Jr's have some phenomenal talent. I was lucky enough to be in Quebec and see pat La Fontaine play before he came into the NHL. The place was packed!
As for NBC, they do slant everything towards their American audience. The American TV audience will generally only watch when there is a compelling reason to and most of the time that compelling reason usually involves another American. I'm sure NBC has plenty of stats and research to back that up. This time around there are several stations involved (USA) so more events will be available.

Then again Eddie "the eagle" (non-American I believe) and the Jamaican bobsled team were pretty popular int he US so we do have our moments.

Connor002

dandaman said:
It always seems that CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) coverage is lightyears ahead of both the quality and quantity of NBC. The "if they're not winning, they find things to complain about" thing I don't agree with. However, NBC is almost always biased, IMO, in their American coverage.
You might say, "Sure, they're an American company. Why wouldn't they be?" Well, CBC appears to show all of the other events happening as well, and not just Canadian competitions. Maybe it's just because NBC has to fit all the day's best coverage into a 3 hour primetime slot, but it still irks me all the same.

NBC's primary market is the US, which is know for one mindedness, to put it simple, a lot of American don't care about other countries. They see the Olympics as a competition in which to prove American better that others, rather than a world-unifying event meant to promote Peace and world justice. Call it what you want, but NBC is doing what the set out to do: Cater to their audience.

Dan said:
Regarding the medal count: I blame our government for improper athletic funding

Be careful what you wish for... there are/have been places were things have gone too far...

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
I agree with the fact the NBC is pro American which is understandable since they are an American network. Sometimes I wish CBC can be a little more biast to the Canadian athletes the way NBC is to the Americans, although then CBC would be just as bad as NBC & they shouldn't because they are fair to all countries. I even noticed Canada won the Gold in Moguls NBC did not interview the Girl who won, the way CBC did. In fact I remeber during the 2002 Olympics when Canada beat USA for Gold in Mens Hockey, NBC broke away to comerical when Canada was being prestented their medals & I can't remember if they showed the Canadian anthem. If the Americans had won CBC would have shown the Americans celebrating.

crazycalf

Who ever said that NBC had good coverage?
You can find all the results accidently on the internet or tv scroll bars before NBC even airs it.

I had a harder time last night finding who got kicked off of dancing with the stars last night.

GoofyMike29

let be serious...its women's hockey- enough said. americans have a tough enough time watching the NHL, let alone women's hockey in Italy...quite frankly no one cares.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom