I wish the Canadian Womens Hockey will stop being bashed for running up the score

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
For anyone who has been watching the Olympics you may have heard how the Canadian's Womens Olympic Ice Hockey team is being critized for running up the score by the United States Womens team. Well I say to them who cares. Everyone knows it's going to be Canada vs USA for the Gold Medal in Womens Hockey & everyone in Canada would agree with me on that. Well in order to be the "home team" for the game, Canada needed to do a few things. Win all their games in the round robin which they did score the most goals out of all the remaining countries which they did by out scoring them 36-1 in three games, so they could be the home team so they could have last line change which in Hockey is very important. Well the American team claims that Canada is being to cocky & not playing fairly by running up the score. In their 1st game Canada beat Italy 16-0, in their 2nd game beat Russia 12 - 0 & in their last game beat Sweeden 8-1. I say so what if it was the Americans who were winning their games by those same scores would they be saying the same thing? The Women are doing what they need to win. Besides did anyone complain when the US Womens team domintaed Soft Ball at the Summer Olympics & when NBA players were allowed to play Basketball at the Summer Olympics, did anyone complain that they were running up the score & embarrasing their opponets? Back then 99.9& of all NBA players were American & how many countries back then were devloping Basketball players like today? I feel if the Americans are not dominating every Olympic sport they look for ways to complain about other countries who might be better then them, well here is some news for the United States Olympic team. You can't win at everything so don't complain, besides how many medals have you won at the last Summer & Winter Olympics? Anyway thanks for letting me rant about this & say GO CANADA GO, bring home the Gold.

imagineer99

yeah, let's Kill those dang' Americans, eh!

Seriously, though:

Chill-Pill.jpg

Wilt Dasney

I have to tell you, this is the first I've heard of this, and I am absolutely SHOCKED at what I'm hearing!

(I didn't know anybody in America was watching the Winter Games) :eek:

jesserin

I'm rooting for USA - but I don't care if Canada is running up the score... they're not running... their scoring... if the other teams are that bad then what does America have to worry bout? They'll beat them by the same... and if their not as good - well then, we just have to practice a little more... ;)

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
In past games with the Canadian & American Women, their games have always been close. So it won't be a blow out like it was when Canada beat Italy 16-0.

TAC

1] No they are not. They are running up the score.

2] Yes, they did. Many countries complained, and because of the USA Softball team blowing out the other teams during the last Summer Games, softball is not going to be played in the Summer Games for the foreseeable future.

3] I don't think it's right for ANY professional athlete to be able to compete in the Olympics. The USA's "dream team" was a big farce, and I did not watch it. You might even notice that it's actually pretty difficult for the USA to field a mens basketball team because no one wants to play. In fact, the USA team did not even medal in the last Summer Games.

4] Yes, the USA tends to dominate in the Summer Games, especially the track (NOT field) events. But what does that have to do with running up the score?

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
The Women are doing what they need to win. Besides did anyone complain when the US Womens team domintaed Soft Ball at the Summer Olympics & when NBA players were allowed to play Basketball at the Summer Olympics, did anyone complain that they were running up the score & embarrasing their opponets? Back then 99.9& of all NBA players were American & how many countries back then were devloping Basketball players like today? I feel if the Americans are not dominating every Olympic sport they look for ways to complain about other countries who might be better then them, well here is some news for the United States Olympic team. You can't win at everything so don't complain, besides how many medals have you won at the last Summer & Winter Olympics? Anyway thanks for letting me rant about this & say GO CANADA GO, bring home the Gold.

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
The way I see it is if the Americans are not winning medals in any sports, or not being the country that no one wants to go up against, then they find ways to complain & say things are not fair. Well boo hoo, they have to realize that Canada is better then them at Hockey, besides Canada invited the game & how many Americans even watch the NHL?

TAC

Since when is America complaining? Actually it was the other countries than had the score run up on them that were complaining. Please get your facts straight.

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
The way I see it is if the Americans are not winning medals in any sports, or not being the country that no one wants to go up against, then they find ways to complain & say things are not fair. Well boo hoo, they have to realize that Canada is better then them at Hockey, besides Canada invited the game & how many Americans even watch the NHL?

Iakona

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:

Gee, let's look at the medal count:

Us medals = 5 Gold and 2 silver. More golds than any other country and only Russia and Sweden have more medals.

So, I guess saying America is not winning any medals is not really that accurate. :brick:

Also, since Canada INVENTED hockey you would think they would have a little more respect for the game. They have outscored opponents 36-1 in 3 games. Great hockey team yes; classy hockey team NO.

There are ways in hockey to avoid running up the score. Working on set plays and holding shots, using the 3rd and 4th line. Putting defense on forward and vice versa. Hockey is not like softball where even if you do not swing you can end up on base. If the American softball teams did run up the score on purpose then shame on them. It hurt their sport.:hammer:

And by the way, no we will not accept that Canada is a better team. We will wait until the game is over for that decision.

How many American's watch hockey? Quite a few apparently since Canada keeps losing teams due to lack of support.

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
Iakona said:
Gee, let's look at the medal count:

Us medals = 5 Gold and 2 silver. More golds than any other country and only Russia and Sweden have more medals.

So, I guess saying America is not winning any medals is not really that accurate. :brick:

Also, since Canada INVENTED hockey you would think they would have a little more respect for the game. They have outscored opponents 36-1 in 3 games. Great hockey team yes; classy hockey team NO.

There are ways in hockey to avoid running up the score. Working on set plays and holding shots, using the 3rd and 4th line. Putting defense on forward and vice versa. Hockey is not like softball where even if you do not swing you can end up on base. If the American softball teams did run up the score on purpose then shame on them. It hurt their sport.:hammer:

And by the way, no we will not accept that Canada is a better team. We will wait until the game is over for that decision.

How many American's watch hockey? Quite a few apparently since Canada keeps losing teams due to lack of support.
1st Of all you should get your facts straight. I said the American Womens Hockey team was complaining about how Canada was running up the socore, I never said anything about the total medals that each country has at the this point. Also Canada in general is a better & more powerfull Hockey nation then any country in the world & here are the facts to back that up. The Canadian Men & Women are currently the Olympic Gold Medal Champions in Hockey, the men won the 2004 World Cup Of Hockey, they have won the last to World Junior Hockey Championships & until last year they had won the previous World Hockey Championships in 2003 & 2004. The Canadian had won the Womens World Hockey Championship 8 staright years & the USA only won the last won in a shoot out & during that whole tournament Canada did not allow a goal in regulation or overtime play. Lastly Canadian fans do care about Hockey, expect living in the United States they never show the fans who love their teams win or lose, they always focus on the negative side. The reasons for Quebec City & Winnipeg moving the United States, is because their owners thought they couldn't make any money by having them stay in Canada. Besides there some cities in the United States that shouldn't have Hockey teams. Some of those cities are in Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina & etc. They only sell out when those teams are winning & when they lose no one could care less about Hockey.

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
Another thing the USA Womens team did at the Salt Lake City Olympics was walk on the Canadian flag they put on the floor of their dressing room with their skates on. If you ask me that is down right disrespectfull & shows they have no class.

SpongeScott

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
Another thing the USA Womens team did at the Salt Lake City Olympics was walk on the Canadian flag they put on the floor of their dressing room with their skates on. If you ask me that is down right disrespectfull & shows they have no class.
I have to congratulate you--I didn't think there was any way we could have a thread on the Olympics possibly closed, but you're leading the charge to have it happen.

I don't believe Canada has run up the score IF they have put in the worst players on the team and benched the best ones. If they can still score at will with that happening, more power to them.

We are winning medals, at least more than our neighbors to the north. Perhaps some on the USA team feel it is running up the score; they are there seeing it first-hand, so I would assume they have a better take on it than we do. Canada may very well win the gold with both teams, but let's allow the competition to settle that, and not base it on history or origination. I would also gather that there are many more Americans who watch hockey than Canadians seeing how we have many more NHL teams than you do.

imagineer99

You know what's fun? Arguing about pointless things on the interweb.

It's so darn cool! It makes me feel important!

Who wants to debate whether cats or dogs are better? Boxers or Briefs? I can pretty much nail out a 10 page thesis on why my Dad can beat up your dad. So, bring it!

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
I have a feeling in 5 years some teams from the United States are going to move to Canada. One of those teams that I think will be moving is Pittsburgh. Marrio Lemieux has already put the team for sale & there is a rumor that a group from Winnipeg is willing to purchase them & move the team there, so Canada will get back an NHL franchise they never should have lost. Besides Marrio said they need a new stadium or they won't stay in Pittsburgh & the lease on the Mellon Arena expires in 2008. So don't be surprised if more teams move to Canada.

SpongeScott

imagineer99 said:
You know what's fun? Arguing about pointless things on the interweb.

It's so darn cool! It makes me feel important!

Who wants to debate whether cats or dogs are better? Boxers or Briefs? I can pretty much nail out a 10 page thesis on why my Dad can beat up your dad?
Dogs are better. I hate my cat.
Briefs. I've never gotten a feel for boxers.
Your Dad wins. Mine is 83 years old. I could whip him now.

SpongeScott

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
I have a feeling in 5 years some teams from the United States are going to move to Canada. One of those teams that I think will be moving is Pittsburgh. Marrio Lemieux has already put the team for sale & there is a rumor that a group from Winnipeg is willing to purchase them & move the team there, so Canada will get back an NHL franchise they never should have lost. Besides Marrio said they need a new stadium or they won't stay in Pittsburgh & the lease on the Mellon Arena expires in 2008. So don't be surprised if more teams move to Canada.
Six teams out of 30 play north of the border. Not a good ratio for the country that invented hockey, eh? If a franchise can move to Canada and flourish, so be it. At least you guys have a better National Anthem than we do.

Wilt Dasney

I prefer boxer briefs. Best of both worlds.

And the Star-Spangled Banner could whip O, Canada with one hand behind its back. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom