I Want My Attraction DVD's

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I brought up this idea in another thread but felt the undeniable urge to create its own thread. I would like to see Disney Attraction DVDs produced. Of immediate interest to me would be those attractions which are no longer with us. Take Horizons, for example. I would love to see a DVD produced on this attraction. Among the contents I would expect to see:

1) Footage of the attraction from the rider's point of view
2) Behind the scenes production footage
3) A creation to construction documentary
4) Audio commentary from involved imagineers
5) Audio outtakes and other cutting room floor media
6) Interviews with production personnel
7) A gallery of still images
8) A promotional piece on its replacement (M:S)
9)Etc.

...and I'm sure your ideas could easily double the length of that list.

I don't know exactly how much media was produced in connection with the production of Horizons (and other past attractions) but Disney has always been the type to visually document stages of construction which can be seen in other books and videos, so I assume there is enough out there to create a wonderful DVD.

On the other hand, we have a number of current attractions which are recently closed, almost closed, or in production. Given the low cost of high quality video production nowadays, it would be easy for Disney & co. to thoroughly document an attraction specificaly for DVD production. Take the CoP for example, seeing as how it's still running (more or less), and possibly facing extinction, a video crew could easily get in there one night and record the entire show from different anges, distances, etc. This would allow for superb documentation that would literally last forever. Likewise, production of new attractions such as M:S should be thoroughly documented knowing that one day a tribute disc will reach store shelves.

I was in the store yesterday and saw some of those Disney Treasures collectors DVD's, you know, the ones that come in tin containers stamped with limited quantity numbers. Anyway, for those that might think releasing "attraction dvd's" would be giving away "secrets," there's a bold statement on the back of one of the particular tins that reads something along the lines of 'Walt Disney [was enthusiastic about] sharing the secrests behind his magic.' (Maybe someone who has the dvd can provide the exact quote.)

So you see, releasing attraction dvd's with behind the scenes content would only be in the true spirit of Walt Disney himself.

Disney has done a wonderful job releasing classic media such as Disneyland opening day footage onto DVD that was never intended for such a medium. So just imagine what they could do with that particular goal in mind.

:sohappy:

Tk

WDWspider

I had this same idea in a different thread. So hopefully there are people working on this very thing. Surely Horizons is filmed somewhere, I mean they use to show clips of it on specials and maybe Vacation Videos too, so I hope so.

disneyisbest

Well we know they film the construciton of about everything they do. Otherwise how would they have the footage they used on the Animal Kingdom special on the travel channel. The only reasons I could think of for them not doing anything like that would be legal reasons.

PaisleyMF

A Mousterpiece

Wow what a great Idea. Also why not have a classic flare to it by including the Inaguration of the parks with the Classic Atractions not longer with the park. Like do the Epcot Center park with a full view of Horizons, World Of Motion, the original Jorney Into, a time laps of some of the constructions, like Spaceship Earth and so on, plus as a bonus the Captain EO or Magic Journey 3D movie with glasses, so u can still remember the Magic. Also as a Hidden Bonus or Easter Egg a presentation or a Video montage of Illuminations over the years (of course just getting to Illuminations 25) That would be a great way to feel and remember the old Rides and Promo the New features around the Park... a huge collectors item plus a great piece for any WDW fan around the World!!!

MKCustodial

TK, AWESOME idea, like I said at the other thread. Have you tried e-mailing Disney or phoning them about it? Since I've heard around here that they tend to call back Guests when it interests them, who knows, right?

And besides these "Disney Treasures: Attractions", I'm also waiting for a Disney Treasures: WDW", like the "Disneyland USA they already released. It'd be awesome, it'd be like Walt Disney World Explorer, but on DVD instead of a PC CD-ROM...

dreamer

If Disney thought it would make money and not reduce park attendance they would do it.

Does anyone think this might detract from the "magic" of going to the parks?

MicBat

Originally posted by dreamer
If Disney thought it would make money and not reduce park attendance they would do it.

Does anyone think this might detract from the "magic" of going to the parks?

Not really b/c it's not like we can go on any of the old attractions anymore.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by MicBat
Not really b/c it's not like we can go on any of the old attractions anymore.

And that's not all. I think you can see an attraction or a park being built without actually giving it ALL away. I mean, if you saw the concept drawings and the AA's for the Haunted Mansion, you'd quit riding it because the ghosts would stop looking real?

Maybe this has nothing to do with anything, but I saw lots of making-ofs for Spider-Man, and the movie and the stunts still amaze me...

PaisleyMF

Not just would bring some old memories but will actually may increase attandance to the parks since you may apreciate the hard work of the all the people working in day in and day out in the parks in WDI (or the old WED) and remember the old times the thing that may come, a way like when the presented Disneyland by Walt Disney in the days of Disneyland the TV series... have some fun like the old Disney Inside Out and even play looking for Hidden Mikey's around those attractiosn even on the DVD to unlock the easter eggs...

Cliff

Timekeeper,

101% perfect post!!!

I have been carefully archiving my favorite attractions ever since Horizons died. I'm currently working on Spaceship Earth. I have a direct "board" recording of the entire score and Jeromy Irons on seperate tracks!! ( NOT open air mic recorded) So, I'm very carefully shooting the scenes from multiple angles and various shutter speeds to edit into it.

Anyhoo, as long as this new DVD celebrates past attractions, it cannot hurt any current attractions today.

This should be an EASY "win win" decision for Disney.

Even the MOST confused, lost and "out of touch" Disney executive could make this no brainer call!!

Excellent idea Timekeeper!!

CT : - )

Nineinchnailsmk

good idea, i would love to see that along with a dvd detailing all of the ideas and whatnot that walt put into the WDW resort. I mean, there are historical broadcasts just like the disneyland one. i just wish they would put those on dvd yano?

anyway...

Fido

I agree as well. You know Disney archives every ride that they make, so why not share with us (especially if they already shut said rides down)?

stingrock23

This is one of the best ideas i've heard in a long time. I know that i would buy a dvd with classic attraction footage. I mean, think about it. How many people miss all the attractions that don't exist anymore?? People would buy these so they could relive great disney memories of the past. Disney could make a fortune off these dvd's, and it's a great way to keep the spirit and history of wdw alive.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Demand

Thank you for the wonderful posts and ideas. As was mentioned above, I'm probably not the only person to have come up with this DVD idea, but I did want to hear some response from those other fans as well.

I did not directly address this idea before, and it may seem rather obvious, but I'll go ahead and bring it up. Is there a demand for this type of material out there? After all, for something to move forward in their business, Disney would have to see a demand and profit, right?

I would say that the demand is relatively at the same level as demand for for Treasures collection - which was obviously put into production. But more specifically, is there demand for something (a DVD) which is 75% "behind the scenes" rather than "show"? I turn to the current market to answer this question.

Let's take a look at all of the 'popular' / new DVD's on the store shelves. Many of them are packaged to contain two DVD's. Some of them contain more. But why entice the market with a two DVD set? What's the benefit of the additional DVD's in those packages? The answer: behind the scenes material!

One of the most recent DVD's which I purchased is the Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring package. That puppy's got two extra DVD's freaturing the "the making of" type documentaries. There's even a third DVD created by National Geographic if you purchase the collector's box set. This means that you end up with literally more material on the "behind the scenes" side of the fence than the actual movie itself. So is there demand for behind the scenes material in the current market place? Yes! And would Fellowship of the Ring have been released with so much "behind the scenes" material if it was thought to "ruin the magic" of the movie? No. And was this material provided despite the fact that there are yet two additional movies to be released in this trilogy? Yes.

So you see, upon careful examination of the current market trends, releasing Disney Attraction DVD's can *only* be a good idea.

:sohappy:

Tk

stingrock23

I think if Disney produced park and /or attraction dvd's, they would make lots of money. With all the disney fans throughout the world , i think lots of people would buy these dvd's. just think if there was a dvd for each theme park, with a special section featuring construction videos and pictures of each park as well as construction of the attractions themselves. If there's an audience for the Disney treasures, than there should be an even bigger one for attraction dvd's.

Why would i want to buy a DVD of the rides when i can get the footage on the net... ERR... i mean... i'd be more than happy to go buy a DVD :lol: :lol: :eek: :lol: :lol: :animwink:

Fido

Well I'm sure you can find footage on the net, but it's unreliable and time consuming at best. I'm not inclined to spend that much time and effort when I could just buy it and pop it into my DVD video player. And that's another thing...I don't want to mess with converting/burning/etc. just to watch stuff full screen on my TV either (and no, computer video out to my TV isn't an option I choose).

General Grizz

I have always loved this idea. I sent out requests (especially for the EPCOT Attractions) in letters I wrote a few years ago...and I got a reply from the legal department. "We can't accept ideas"... D'oh!

blm07

Well for one thing they would have alot of legal problems, but maybe they should get permission to release any material that would be have problems. Also I don't know if they would sell to good if people download it more than buy it (which I would buy). I am not saying that downloading is bad, but I do buy stuff that I really like (or I will when I get money).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom