Trip Report Revisiting 2016's War and peace I took one for the team

Hello it's me again and if you want to know what the title means you'll have to stick around for a while. Sorry but no spoiler This trip was 3 years in the making and the official countdown started at 439 days. Surprisingly the time seemed to fly by. Our little adventure was taken by me (for those who don't know I'm Figmentfan423 Figgy to my friends here), my dh and our 2 boys James 14 and fellow Disney planner and M who's a bit older autistic and doesn't like getting his picture taken or me talking about him. Our trip began at
IMG_0009.JPG
am on July 30th. We sang happy birthday to my little guy while driving down the street on our way to Disney. I'm a very mean mommy who made my baby spend his birthday in the car. Any way it was smooth sailing until half way through Virginia where we hit rain and traffic all the way to the North Carolina border. It was bad enough we worried a bit about making it to our hotel for the first night but once we hit NC the skies cleared and so did the traffic:joyfull: and we made it to Florida
IMG_0012.JPG
to take the obligitory first Florida picture of the boys. With a bit of luck and excitement we made it to Ormond Beach to get a good night's sleep.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
View attachment 163277 View attachment 163276 View attachment 163275 Wednesday August 24th we got up early and finished getting everything into the car. We got almost everything into it the night before so it was only one bag the cooler and us. We headed off to Universal and only a few minutes after rope drop. Here's where my lists having lists payed off LOL. We split up that morning as we had been on all the rides and seen all the shows. The boys headed off to IOA ro Ride Kong and the coasters, Jim headed off to studios to ride MIB and do some shopping(he better have gone to the Irish shop or else LOL) and I headed off to Portofino passing through the Hard Rock hotel along the way. it was a nice coo but breezy morning and I wanted to get in a bit more resort hopping. It was as peaceful and as pretty as any place I've yet to find in Disney to just take a walk

^
This. I find it annoying that the theming is ignored and put down by many. Uni has really stepped up their game. I stay at the Portofino and it is so lovely. By night it is beyond awesome. By night I can't think of a more romantic resort than Portofino.

I so love MIB. We rode so many times. We purchased the express this trip as we stayed put at Disney being just less than a 2 week trip and having just a day at Uni. It was very costly but so worth it.

I so loved the Irish store. I came home with a mug. We could have emptied our wallets there.

Gabe1

The Portofino was amazing from before I even got there the views were great!View attachment 163285 View attachment 163286 Of course I had to check out the shops and it was like going through the pavillion at EPCOT only cheaper. After a bit of shopping and looking around I got a nice cup of coffee and just sat out in the sun taking in all the sightsView attachment 163286 View attachment 163287 View attachment 163288 View attachment 163289 View attachment 163290 View attachment 163291 View attachment 163293

I just love the Portifino too. If you and hubby have the opportunity to stay there as a couple you will not be disappointed. Their pools are awesome and their quiet pools trump anything I've seen at Disney. We have always been upgraded to the bay view when we arrive on convention. Just love the place. It reminds me very much of POR ambiance but in a more condensed area which seems to work well. So well plotted out.

Gabe1

Gabe1

These are from our arrival day View attachment 163490 View attachment 163491 View attachment 163492 It figures he got the best alligator pic:cautious:

We were not covert look'n but we didn't see any alligators.

\

You got to see the Fantasmic Boat! Woot!

\\

I am totally blanking. Where is this?
100_2847-jpg.163518

Gabe1

Gabe1

Time for a few final thoughts. It was a great vacation, not the best one we ever had but very close. 2011 James got to be in the Star Trek show at Kennedy, be in a SWW parade and pull the sword out of the stone so that will never be topped.
Best meal TIFFINS everything was excellent
Best nonsignature meal Sanaa
Best buffet/all you care to eat Tusker House
Best qs Thunder Falls Universal the platters were huge and the boys loved the dinosaur themeing and the food
Best qs Disney tough choice Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's were both great I was quite surprised how good the falafel burger was
Best sangria Antojito's
Best wine Carmen at Tiffins
Biggest let down BOG dinner it was our favorite meal last trip
Best place to pop in for a drink Nomad Lounge and Margaritaville I'd call it a tie each are very special honorable mention to Trader Sam's
Best adult beverage seriously I can't pick just one so in no order grey Goose Slush, Lapu, It's 5 o'clock somewhere, Mowie Wowie, Mosquito Mojito and Leaping Leprechaun
Best drink value Shades of Green at SOG and the sangria at Lombardi's
Best surprise Lombardi's went in not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised how good it was
Best snack another tough choice Nomad Lounge and Spice road Table were both excellent
Best burger according to the guys Margaritaville followed by Mythos and the Fountain
Best popcorn a tie seriously Disney and Universal both have really good popcorn
Best french fries Margaritaville and Lombardi's
Favorite resort we hopped to Poly most likely because we spent to much time there LOL followed closely by AKL but if we get to pick one to stay at it would be AKL for the food
Least favorite resort hop POP and AOA we found them a bit hectic both beautiful but loud
coming up next experiences, rides and shows

Few great recommendations here that I wish I knew before last trip! Next time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom