I Switched Resorts...

MaXXimus

I just called today and changed my resort to the Wilderness Lodge... after reading quite a few reviews on the Contemporary it seems a lot of people aren't all that happy with the overall feel plus some complaints about music being heard in certain areas as well as the monorail being heard in some rooms and I would have had a view of the parking lot... it just didnt sit right with me.

I stayed at Wilderness 9 yrs ago and was completly delighted with the staff as well as the entire theme. Every day we came back to our room and the staff that cleaned and made beds had our bathroom towels folded up in shapes like one time they actually used some of our belongings we had purchased to make a towel look like Minnie Mouse... something new every day... we almsot couldnt wait to get back to our rooms just to see what was made for us.

The only thing I think I will miss with not going with the Contemporary will be the convenience of the monorail... but I think overall I made a great choice.

coltow

WL is my favorite. There's something about the look and feel to it. It always seems so quiet even with a lobby filled with people. Each time we walked in I found myself just taking a deep breath almost as if to suck it all in. My son still calls it "my hotel" every time he sees a picture of it.

Upvote 0

Scooter

Changing ones mind is one's perogative.
The Wilderness Lodge is a great Resort.

I, personally, have never had any problems with loud noise or music in the Tower rooms at The Contemporary Resort.

However, you might regret your decision when you go to leave The Magic Kingdom, after Wishes is over.

While you will be standing in a long line with thousands of other people who are waiting in line to get on that little boat that only holds about 30 people to get back to The Wilderness Lodge, I will be taking a nice, relaxing 10 minute stroll to my room at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Just some food for thought.:animwink:

Upvote 0

cdunbar

Sorry but Ive got to agree with scooter! The contemporary is my wdw hotel, we don't accept anything else, we did the poly one year and didnt like the fact that in order to get to the monorail we had to walk what seemed like 4ever! But I did wildnerness lodge with some friends once and I found it lack luster!

Upvote 0

kachow

I've stayed at WL, and it's really not that much of a hassle to get on the WL boat after Wishes. I'd take WL's ambiance over the concrete slab any day. Seriously, we were there last week and took the monorail through it and to me it's one of the ugliest hotels I've ever seen.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

However, you might regret your decision when you go to leave The Magic Kingdom, after Wishes is over.

While you will be standing in a long line with thousands of other people who are waiting in line to get on that little boat that only holds about 30 people to get back to The Wilderness Lodge, I will be taking a nice, relaxing 10 minute stroll to my room at Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Really? Thousands of other people? THOUSANDS?

I might have my info wrong, but here's the gist of what I read over at allearsnet.com

1: There are fewer than 750 rooms at WL, and fewer than 140 rooms at the Villas. Even if the joint is sold out, and every room holds at least 4 people, the odds of absolutely every guest being in the MK on one night after Wishes and closing is pretty slim. It COULD happen, but chances are it'll never be that bad except on holidays of peak periods.

2: WL & FW have seperate ferries going to and from MK (red flag=WL, green flag=FW), so you're not dealing with any of the thousands of FW guests on your ferry. And you're certainly not dealing with the thousands of people ferrying back to TTC (unless they get on the wrong line)

3: At the end of the day, you might want to just get back to the room, and a 10-minute walk IS sweet, but so is a little ferry ride, where you can enjoy the view, with someone you love (awwwww...)

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

Honestly, some of the best "ambiance" I've seen is at the Yacht and Beach Club and Boardwalk. You can't beat the whole feel of the resort area with the boardwalk. I think it blows both the WL and Contemporary away. Just my opinion...

Upvote 0

kachow

Honestly, some of the best "ambiance" I've seen is at the Yacht and Beach Club and Boardwalk. You can't beat the whole feel of the resort area with the boardwalk. I think it blows both the WL and Contemporary away. Just my opinion...

I actually agree with you, as my wife and I just returned from a week long stay at the Boardwalk. We had stayed there before, but we were still marvelling at what a great atmosphere it is. With the water and the hotels and restaurants along it, I honestly don't think any other hotel touches it, because it feels like a world of its own.

We took advantage of a free upgrade to a waterview room, and it was fantastic. We had a 3rd floor room right above the candy store facing the water and we loved it. We could sit on our balcony and watch Wishes from our room. Just fantastic. We'd consider paying for the upgrade next time if we could guarantee that room.

Upvote 0

MaXXimus

Original Poster
When I stayed at WL 9 yrs ago I don't recall ever saying "OMG look at this line for the boat". We spent most of our evenings at MK while opting to visit all the other parks during the morning till early afternoon and then heading back to WL to rest, relax, eat dinner and then go to MK and we usually closed the place and yes the lines looked ugly heading out of the park but never did we have to wait more then 10 mins or so for our boat back.

I try not to knock one resort for the other because everyone has their own taste and that is what makes us individules. And I agree with kachow as far as the look of WL over the concrete a-frame of CR but that is just my taste and have always been a lover of the outdoors.

Upvote 0

scottnj1966

Every deluxe resort at disney has soemthing for everyone.

They are all beautiful, and so much fun just to walk around.

From the monorail running thru the contempprary to a 7 story fireplace and stream running from the inside of the lobby of the wilderness to there pool, they all have something great.

You will have fun no matter what resort you choose.

Upvote 0

DisneyDragon

Every deluxe resort at disney has soemthing for everyone.

They are all beautiful, and so much fun just to walk around.

From the monorail running thru the contempprary to a 7 story fireplace and stream running from the inside of the lobby of the wilderness to there pool, they all have something great.

You will have fun no matter what resort you choose.

Bing-O! One's own personal preferences are the single greatest factor in how "good" a resort is.

For example, I travel a lot for work, and really don't like staying in hotels that are not that different from a Hilton, Best Western, etc. Granted Disney works hard to make them different, but the underlying concepts are there. As a result, based on the resorts I've stayed in:

Poly - the rooms are kind of standard, but the feel is very different
Contemp - other than the concourse, feels very Hilton-y BUT I haven't stated in the new room format which looks pretty nice.
POR - The grounds are nice, but the rooms are so very standard
Boardwalk - rooms are nice, the surrounding area is pure genius for standing out.
Y&B Club - for some reason, it always feels very ritzy to me. While I love the amenities (that buffet is killer, and the pool rocks), I feel like I have to stay Library-quiet at times.
FW - big, big, big plusses. The cabins are very different, and being away from the bustle after a day at the parks is a great recharge for me.
GF - found it felt a little too big for me, but it was very nice. Thank goodness I didn't have to pay for it.

Personal opinions are huge. One person might 'weigh' the pool higher than the restaurant choices, or shopping, or solitude (or lack thereofe), etc, etc.

Upvote 0

coltow

While you will be standing in a long line with thousands of other people who are waiting in line to get on that little boat that only holds about 30 people to get back to The Wilderness Lodge

FYI We hardly ever took the boat back at the end of the night. We found the bus to be easier and quicker especially with an exhausted youngster.

Upvote 0

Mystic

Changing ones mind is one's perogative.
The Wilderness Lodge is a great Resort.

I, personally, have never had any problems with loud noise or music in the Tower rooms at The Contemporary Resort.

Actually I've got a much faster way to get back to the Lodge after MK closing and that is to take the exact same walking path as you and cut through the CR lobby and catch the small resort launch to WL. They've extended the launch's hours now so that they run from 6:45am to 11:30pm.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom