I strongly disagree with the closure of the great movie ride and the new direction of Hollywood Studios

Goofyernmost

I will miss it but it was very dated before it's closure and needed updating with some newer films.

I was more upset about them closing the Backlot Tour because it was what I loved about this park along with GMR.

I would have thought that a MM ride would have been better in MK personally but hey...
Updating to newer films would not have necessarily highlighted the films that built the Hollywood of old. Historically it would just be a collection of films that some liked and some disliked. It would have no purpose at all. The GMR was set up to cover a multitude of genres. It wasn't about the movies that we individually think that we liked that movie, we wish were there. That would line up to have to include everyone's favorite and WDW just doesn't have enough property to put all those in. What was there was fine, but, now that obviously DHS has been leaning more toward modern high ranking films the GMR was sort of out of place with the park theme.

I agree with the original backlot, but, what was left after the studio's closed was pathetic, sad and boring. I don't know if you ever saw the original complete studio and backlot tour was like. If not check out some of Martins Tribute videos on You Tube and you will see just how sad it got.

It is debatable on many levels whether or not MM ride should be in MK, but, since it all started with a Mouse, I'd say he would be appropriate anyplace on property.

BenJacobs

I am from the UK and have had the privilege of being able to experience Walt Disney World 17 times in my 26 years! I am in love with the place and the magic and wonder you can't help but feel when you are there - it really is a place where dreams come true!

Hollywood studios (formerly MGM) for a long time has been my favourite park because I loved the link it has with showbiz, what goes on behind the scenes and the glitz and glamour of hollywood both past and present. I have great memories of being in the park with my mum and dad and being excited to hop onto the backlot tour which always had the benefit of being able to update and add another dimension with the props and memorabilia that it housed. It was an undoubtable favourite right until the end - the long queue times are proof of that. The streets of America were great too as it provided people like me with the ability to immerse themselves in the culture of several key american cities simultaneously as well as giving a behind the scenes in the action look at how these effects are achieved in hollywood without even ever having to leave the set.

I understand the need to not be stuck in the past and to move with the flow of current trends and obviously the purchase of the Star Wars franchise has been an exciting step forward for Disney and that part of the park is going to be incredible for sure, especially with the awakening of the new films. Despite understanding there is a lack of space for expansion in Epcot however, one has to wonder whether the new Star Wars land would have been more appropriate addition to this park? Notwithstanding the fact that Epcot sadly has a diminished attendance compared to the other parks and this would be a great way to bring the park forward into the 21st century.

Words can't begin to describe how heartbroken I am at the closure of the Great Movie Ride. Some might argue that it was behind the times and that the movie references are old and people can't relate to them anymore - but isn't that the point?!?! To EDUCATE, to REMEMBER, to APPRECIATE the great actors, directors, movies that were cornerstones in getting us to where we are today? Mary Poppins, Indiana Jones, Tarzan, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca - these are just ICONIC and should not be forgotton.. but now the closure of the great movie ride has just metophorically closen that door to appreciate the past in to be honest a rather ignorant manner. No matter how long the queue was I could stand and watch that showreel of classic movies again and again... there was just something uplifting about it and it inspired me to go home and watch these movies and understand why they were so great and that I can relate to them even though they are black and white, I can talk about them with my grandparents. In my opinion these movie greats are far better than most of the trash that gets released these days. I really think that rather than getting rid of the Great Movie Ride it could even have stood to be expanded, as an Architect myself that is honestly what I would have argued for if I had the privileged of being a Disney Imagineer. Expand the ride, take us through a journey through the genres and great actors and directors that got us to where we are today, add a star wars scene, instead/as well as the gangsters and robbers why can't our tour be taken over by Captain Jack Sparrow or Barbosa? Why can't we dance and sing with La La Land? get lost in Pandora?! I personally think that would be far more exciting to plan than Mickey and Minnies Runaway Train.

My point is I am honestly saddened by the direction Hollywood Studios is currently moving in... whilst I don't disagree the new toy story and star wars lands are going to be fantastic.. and yield many more visitors and revenue.. I don't want Disney to lose the parks original identity. I agree many of the large everchanging warehouse sets such as the American Idol experience could stand to be replaced but I am sorry to see the very heart of the theme park being ripped out for all these 'lands' I really will bash my head against a wall if they do what California has and change the Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride.

Moral of the story - DON'T FIX WHAT'S NOT BROKEN guys, and don't forget to embrace and appreciate history.. because it got us to where we are today.

I agree with the general viewpoint(and the ‘moral of the story’), but you seem to contradict yourself when you say that Galaxy’s Edge would be more appropriate to Epcot. Given the two parks, Hollywood Studios is the obvious choice for a Star Wars themed land(a park about films and the art of creating them, or a park - or part of one - dedicated to science and the future).

They are moving away from the studios aspect of the park and are instead focusing on the finished product; so although it’s sad to say goodbye to the Backlot Tour and the Great Movie Ride, be glad the theming of the park isn’t changing too drastically.

Hannah M

Original Poster
I agree with the general viewpoint(and the ‘moral of the story’), but you seem to contradict yourself when you say that Galaxy’s Edge would be more appropriate to Epcot. Given the two parks, Hollywood Studios is the obvious choice for a Star Wars themed land(a park about films and the art of creating them, or a park - or part of one - dedicated to science and the future).

They are moving away from the studios aspect of the park and are instead focusing on the finished product; so although it’s sad to say goodbye to the Backlot Tour and the Great Movie Ride, be glad the theming of the park isn’t changing too drastically.

Let’s not get too caught up on the Epcot thing.. it was more just thinking out loud, I personally think it probably is better in Hollywood studios it was just a musing about why they have felt the need to rip out the heart of the park.. for space?!

winstongator

Disney's biggest mistake in recent years has been (and Universal are very guilty of this too) theming large parts of their parks around specific films. Having Toy Story, Star Wars and Avatar rides is acceptable in theory - but having entire lands for them I find strange. People who aren't interested in those things will just avoid those lands altogether and, even though I like Toy Story, I'm not enthralled by the idea of it theming an area at all. It's not exactly in keeping with 50s Hollywood or the 'behind the scenes' idea, is it?

It's particular bizarre in the case of Avatar which, whilst commercially successful, does not have a wide fanbase and I'd even go as far as to say is not generally popular with the public at all. Most people I have spoken to about it thought it was a very poor film with an unoriginal storyline.

I digress slightly as Pandora is not at Hollywod Studios, but I am trying to make a general point about the haphazard approach to theming in recent years. The themeing of Hollywood Studios was always a massive selling point for me, and it was important that rides were based around iconic films. In any theme park I think it's important that the areas or lands have a more general theme, that everyone can feel a part of, rather than just appealing to fans of specific things.
There's a mistake in your criticism: people can enjoy Pandora without being fans of the movie. My daughters never saw the movie and love it. I disliked the movie and love it. I am not a huge Potter fan, and love WWoHP, even more so than my wife who is a huge Potter fan. Blasphemy, I know, but I'm not a huge fan of Toy Story, but think that will be a wildly successful area as it caters to a younger audience. Haven't been there, but from what I hear, Cars Land at DCA is incredibly popular. The biggest problem Galaxy's Edge is going to have? How to deal with the insane crowd levels!

I will be happy when most or at least more of the Star Wars material is in SWGE. Having it all over the park doesn't help. It will be nice when the Animation Courtyard is mostly about animation.

I enjoyed Pandora from my first visit, however, it was the Wizarding World that opened my eyes to what an immersive experience could be. It takes you to another world. It was short, but the Void's Star Wars secrets of the empire is an even more immersive experience which points to the future. Disney is planning more of these worlds too. Star Wars lands at overseas parks, Marvel Land at DCA, Frozen land in DLP. When will they stop doing them? When those themed lands stop being huge drivers for increased attendance.

I was not a fan of the lines for Princess (& other character) meet & greets. However, the 2hr line to meet Anna & Elsa at the MK showed me how popular they are (luckily we had fp+). Popularity and how things make large numbers of guests happy drives these decisions.

winstongator

Exactly. And the beauty of the GMR was you had built in anti obsolescence. You would always have new movies to add to keep things fresh. You want to keep it fresh, how about not adding Jack to POTC and adding a fantastic scene to GMR. But like most of what they decide, they choose lazy.

It's cheap because in a park DESPERATE for rides, they decide to replace a ride instead of investing in both. Disney was cheap for not updating like they should have. They could have added plenty to the ride keeping it relevant but like most issues, it's cheaper to just let it sit as is.
Wait...they aren't building new rides at HS?

Dutch Inn '76

Exactly. And the beauty of the GMR was you had built in anti obsolescence. You would always have new movies to add to keep things fresh. You want to keep it fresh, how about not adding Jack to POTC and adding a fantastic scene to GMR. But like most of what they decide, they choose lazy.

It's cheap because in a park DESPERATE for rides, they decide to replace a ride instead of investing in both. Disney was cheap for not updating like they should have. They could have added plenty to the ride keeping it relevant but like most issues, it's cheaper to just let it sit as is.

When The Mouse decided to move away from the "Movie Studio" theme at DHS, TGMR was doomed. ...and I still don't understand that decision. Fine, take out the back lot - Disney Studios isn't known for that anyway - but the decision to remove the animators was what I don't get. If they had left the animators and the "studio" aspect of that part of the park, then TGMR, IJ's Stunt Show, and the rest of the Hollywood look of the place are all still fine. Star Wars would have fit in fine beside all of that. Now, they really need to give the whole place a face lift: Why does the Runaway Railway look like Grauman's Chinese Theatre?? Why is there a Sunset Boulevard here?? Why the Old Hollywood theme?? Brown Derby?? Stunt Show???

By removing the animators (which was a fascinating attraction) they doomed the whole park to being a Theme Park without a theme.

Musical Mermaid

From what you say, my take would be that any Disney Park would not be the place for you. My advice find entertainment that does fit your requirements. I don't mean that in a nasty way, but, it does sound like you really do not have any joy in visiting Disney. I don't know what would float your boat, but, you seem to dislike everything that Disney is all about. I don't think they are copying anything, just responding to current public desires and current technologies. AA's are yesterday, high definition fast-paced screens are the technology of today. The sooner we can accept that the quicker we can get back to enjoying the place.
Not true at all, I just don’t enjoy DHS that much anymore and Disney is capable of better. It’s not well rounded enough of a park for me and I’m sure many others. Like I said, even if they updated their shows, it would make it a better experience. Not everyone on the planet is a Star Wars or “only virtual and thrill rides” groupie. I have no problem with Star Wars Land itself. I have a problem with it taking over so much of the park and Disney not putting a balance in the park when they rip out several alternatives for people not interested in that.

I enjoyed the Radiator Springs Racers and that isn’t a 3d or simulator ride and was built in the last decade. I think the Little Mermaid ride is fine, love the details in the queue, and I am excited for rides like Tron. The Muppet show in Liberty Square I also thought was a nice touch that the whole family can watch. Whether Disney is copying or responding to public demand, my point was that that the park was resembling Universal much more than Magic Kingdom.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
When The Mouse decided to move away from the "Movie Studio" theme at DHS, TGMR was doomed. ...and I still don't understand that decision. Fine, take out the back lot - Disney Studios isn't known for that anyway - but the decision to remove the animators was what I don't get. If they had left the animators and the "studio" aspect of that part of the park, then TGMR, IJ's Stunt Show, and the rest of the Hollywood look of the place are all still fine. Star Wars would have fit in fine beside all of that. Now, they really need to give the whole place a face lift: Why does the Runaway Railway look like Grauman's Chinese Theatre?? Why is there a Sunset Boulevard here?? Why the Old Hollywood theme?? Brown Derby?? Stunt Show???

By removing the animators (which was a fascinating attraction) they doomed the whole park to being a Theme Park without a theme.

That's what $hapek is good at. He doesn't care for themeing or the integrity of the parks, he cares about getting rid of opportunity costs. Whatever helps with the merchandising.

Goofyernmost

Not true at all, I just don’t enjoy DHS that much anymore and Disney is capable of better. It’s not well rounded enough of a park for me and I’m sure many others. Like I said, even if they updated their shows, it would make it a better experience. Not everyone on the planet is a Star Wars or “only virtual and thrill rides” groupie. I have no problem with Star Wars Land itself. I have a problem with it taking over so much of the park and Disney not putting a balance in the park when they rip out several alternatives for people not interested in that.

I enjoyed the Radiator Springs Racers and that isn’t a 3d or simulator ride and was built in the last decade. I think the Little Mermaid ride is fine, love the details in the queue, and I am excited for rides like Tron. The Muppet show in Liberty Square I also thought was a nice touch that the whole family can watch. Whether Disney is copying or responding to public demand, my point was that that the park was resembling Universal much more than Magic Kingdom.
OK, fair enough! I'll modify what I said and say that not every park will be everyone's cup of tea. It appears that DHS is not your place, so there are three others to enjoy. I for years, even though I like DAK, have it on the bottom of my list because, frankly there is little there that lights my fire. So if I run short of time, DAK gets moved off my list. I doubt that many people think that everything should be completely tuned in with our own personal likes. Not wanting to sound scolding, but, no like, no go. You will be happier and nothing detrimental will happen to Disney unless everyone does the same thing, and that isn't likely to happen. If it does then that is on them. I don't follow Star Wars, Toy Story, Indiana Jones, but, I did like Aerosmith, Twilight Zone and the Muppets. Yet, I still enjoy them all if they are done well.

James Clifton

WDW has changed out more than the GMR! Long ago they started changing out Main Street....little cove with a barber shop(shop gave a great shave).....reason it had to go NEEDED "MORE"space for the Emporium to present "more" merchandise to sell$$$$ is everything to the BOSS! Change the Movie theatre on Main Street....move in more merchandise$$$$$! Let's Not forget the Bakery on Main Street...sell out to STARBUCKS(I have no desire to buy from there anymore)! How about the STITCH ride replacing a great ride! I can go on but won't !Guys & Gals...it's all about the $$$$$$$$$.....paying to park when you have already paid big $$$$ to stay at a WDW resort!!I I've been going to WDW for over 30yrs.paid my $$$$ &had a great time.Now... (my view is getting a little jaded)I'm getting a little fed up. Bottom line,IF....we don't like it....stop going....or don't go as much.
Jim

KBLovedDisney

WDW has changed out more than the GMR! Long ago they started changing out Main Street....little cove with a barber shop(shop gave a great shave).....reason it had to go NEEDED "MORE"space for the Emporium to present "more" merchandise to sell$$$$ is everything to the BOSS! Change the Movie theatre on Main Street....move in more merchandise$$$$$! Let's Not forget the Bakery on Main Street...sell out to STARBUCKS(I have no desire to buy from there anymore)! How about the STITCH ride replacing a great ride! I can go on but won't !Guys & Gals...it's all about the $$$$$$$$$.....paying to park when you have already paid big $$$$ to stay at a WDW resort!!I I've been going to WDW for over 30yrs.paid my $$$$ &had a great time.Now... (my view is getting a little jaded)I'm getting a little fed up. Bottom line,IF....we don't like it....stop going....or don't go as much.
Jim
I miss the Bakery. :(

Yanksandcuse

HANNAH HAS SPOKEN! CANCEL IT! CANCEL EVERYTHING! NOTHING NEEDS TO BE FIXED! CANCEL IT ALL! RELOAD THE RIDES! PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED!
Definition of internet troll above. Notice the all caps reply and the absence of any relavant point, humor, or point of view. Just a bashing of someone else's opinion for no reason. Dothebrdwalk by yourself troll.

mj2v

I guess I am weird. I don’t get emotional about park changes beyond the excitement of something new.

Do I tell my daughters about the old figment ride vs the new, absolutely. Do I get all misty eyed because they created a mess out of it, no.

Keep building. Keep changing. Keep growing.

jaklgreen

My husband and I enjoyed the ride but the kids did not. They did not know what most of those movies were and I think that really diminished the experience for them. It wasn't a reminiscent "oh I remember that movie" type of thing for them. I think they could have updated what movies they showed but with what? There is nothing like that classics but unfortunately they do not show those movies on TV anymore for the younger generation to watch. The Wizard of Oz used to be on annually and I remember watching it with my Mom. I can't remember the last time it was on TV.

Dutch Inn '76

My husband and I enjoyed the ride but the kids did not. They did not know what most of those movies were and I think that really diminished the experience for them. It wasn't a reminiscent "oh I remember that movie" type of thing for them. I think they could have updated what movies they showed but with what? There is nothing like that classics but unfortunately they do not show those movies on TV anymore for the younger generation to watch. The Wizard of Oz used to be on annually and I remember watching it with my Mom. I can't remember the last time it was on TV.

That's the rub, isn't it? Is it just me, or does it seem like over the last twenty years there is no love for old things any more? I mean "old fashioned" things that used to be cool: "Casablanca," "I Love Lucy," Babe Ruth, John Wayne... None of these things are from my generation - or even my parent's generation, but they were always on television and ALIVE in our culture. I grew up watching them and knowing them as well as previous generations. Now it seems that anything older than "Star Wars" or "Jaws" is just considered worthless.

At the end of the day, I think that's the death of "MGM Studios." People just don't like old movies; old things anymore.

I am from the UK and have had the privilege of being able to experience Walt Disney World 17 times in my 26 years! I am in love with the place and the magic and wonder you can't help but feel when you are there - it really is a place where dreams come true!

Hollywood studios (formerly MGM) for a long time has been my favourite park because I loved the link it has with showbiz, what goes on behind the scenes and the glitz and glamour of hollywood both past and present. I have great memories of being in the park with my mum and dad and being excited to hop onto the backlot tour which always had the benefit of being able to update and add another dimension with the props and memorabilia that it housed. It was an undoubtable favourite right until the end - the long queue times are proof of that. The streets of America were great too as it provided people like me with the ability to immerse themselves in the culture of several key american cities simultaneously as well as giving a behind the scenes in the action look at how these effects are achieved in hollywood without even ever having to leave the set.

I understand the need to not be stuck in the past and to move with the flow of current trends and obviously the purchase of the Star Wars franchise has been an exciting step forward for Disney and that part of the park is going to be incredible for sure, especially with the awakening of the new films. Despite understanding there is a lack of space for expansion in Epcot however, one has to wonder whether the new Star Wars land would have been more appropriate addition to this park? Notwithstanding the fact that Epcot sadly has a diminished attendance compared to the other parks and this would be a great way to bring the park forward into the 21st century.

Words can't begin to describe how heartbroken I am at the closure of the Great Movie Ride. Some might argue that it was behind the times and that the movie references are old and people can't relate to them anymore - but isn't that the point?!?! To EDUCATE, to REMEMBER, to APPRECIATE the great actors, directors, movies that were cornerstones in getting us to where we are today? Mary Poppins, Indiana Jones, Tarzan, The Wizard of Oz, Casablanca - these are just ICONIC and should not be forgotton.. but now the closure of the great movie ride has just metophorically closen that door to appreciate the past in to be honest a rather ignorant manner. No matter how long the queue was I could stand and watch that showreel of classic movies again and again... there was just something uplifting about it and it inspired me to go home and watch these movies and understand why they were so great and that I can relate to them even though they are black and white, I can talk about them with my grandparents. In my opinion these movie greats are far better than most of the trash that gets released these days. I really think that rather than getting rid of the Great Movie Ride it could even have stood to be expanded, as an Architect myself that is honestly what I would have argued for if I had the privileged of being a Disney Imagineer. Expand the ride, take us through a journey through the genres and great actors and directors that got us to where we are today, add a star wars scene, instead/as well as the gangsters and robbers why can't our tour be taken over by Captain Jack Sparrow or Barbosa? Why can't we dance and sing with La La Land? get lost in Pandora?! I personally think that would be far more exciting to plan than Mickey and Minnies Runaway Train.

My point is I am honestly saddened by the direction Hollywood Studios is currently moving in... whilst I don't disagree the new toy story and star wars lands are going to be fantastic.. and yield many more visitors and revenue.. I don't want Disney to lose the parks original identity. I agree many of the large everchanging warehouse sets such as the American Idol experience could stand to be replaced but I am sorry to see the very heart of the theme park being ripped out for all these 'lands' I really will bash my head against a wall if they do what California has and change the Tower of Terror into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride.

Moral of the story - DON'T FIX WHAT'S NOT BROKEN guys, and don't forget to embrace and appreciate history.. because it got us to where we are today.
Yes totally agree, and to those who are saying why didn't you speak up before, I say you did by spending your hard earned money and traveling all the way from the UK.

Unfortunately, that only works in a museum that gets grants from the government to pay operating expenses in supporting the arts. As ideal as the thought is, it doesn't work in the real world that depends on direct public support from people willing to pay lots of money to pay the bills. In exchange they want something that they are willing to pay the price for. I'm thinking that GMR, as great as it was, did not have that overwhelming support from just about everyone that wasn't born in the 50's and before.

With today's massive exposure to social media via home electronics, that type of show just does not fly with more recent generations. My own kids, that were forcibly exposed to places like GMR, when informed that GMR was being torn out responded with a rousing... "so what? That was getting lame anyway and it was time for something new". They are now in their forties, so they aren't young adults. Younger then me perhaps, but, middle age easily. In fact, my oldest is just 7 years older then I was when I first went to WDW. What stuck with me at that age, no longer adheres.
Well got news for you bud my 6 year old daughter was very disappointed, she thought the ride was very cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom