I never understood why Disney public transportation sucks s

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
For a company that’s worth hundreds of billions why is it so hard for them to invest in a airport to theme park mono rail and likewise finish the last two parks with mono rails?

I get the argument, how would Disney make money? Charge 5 dollar per family and there you go, it paid for itself within 10 years.

Likewise have Disney pay for a network of trains within Orlando , call it the Disney transport authority, there you go - free advertising and revenue.

Just seems dumb that it’s almost 2025 and there is still no cohesion with their public transport authority.

From the options that were listed, I'm making the assumption (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the poster is from either Europe or the UK. Public transportation in most of the US is seen and utilized as a last resort.

Disney does not own the land between MCO and the WDW resort. Acquiring the land would be prohibitively expensive as it would be at market price and each subsequent purchase of individual holdings would rise due to its known path and known buyer. Disney had the STOL port, but chose not to invest in or use it for transportation.

JMcMahonEsq

For a company that’s worth hundreds of billions why is it so hard for them to invest in a airport to theme park mono rail and likewise finish the last two parks with mono rails?

I get the argument, how would Disney make money? Charge 5 dollar per family and there you go, it paid for itself within 10 years.

Likewise have Disney pay for a network of trains within Orlando , call it the Disney transport authority, there you go - free advertising and revenue.

Just seems dumb that it’s almost 2025 and there is still no cohesion with their public transport authority.
Is this a serious post? I mean I understand some people don't have any real knowledge of construction, law, land use, common sense, but this is just plain dumb on like any level you look at it.

Assuming that this is not just so stupid as to have to be a troll (and if it is, you got me, but its lunch time and I am already hangry) lets look at the real world.

WDW is as you say a company...a company, not a government. It does not own the land between MCO and WDW, which is around 25M or 40KM (more on that later) and does not have eminent domain powers to take the land, either in fee simple or easements to build anything on them. So you want what, WDW to just show up at people houses, or storefronts, or across public roadways, and just start building whatever they want?

And assuming for sake of argument Mickey or Minnie can use their magic dust to just take control of a corridor of land between MCO and WDW, lets look at the cost. As mentioned, the distance between those two areas is 25Miles. As it happens we have for comparison sake the LA light rail project to build a 19.3Mile light rail to connect parts of LA to the outer communities. This was proposed as part of the ramp up for the 2028 Olympics. The budget for this project, which is over 20% shorter than the distance from MCO to WDW....8.5BILLION dollars. Thats the big number with the B in front of it. Now I won't even discuss that even with the LA Metropolitan Transporation Authority, and the State of California behind the project, it is being divided up into 2 phases because construction of the entire 19.3 miles, after getting all property rights, and other legal requirements to build the damn thing, is expected to take almost 20 years to complete.

Now as to money, looking past the craziness of any business looking to privately fund a 8.5Billion dollar transportation system, lets look at your great notion just charge people $5 and WDW will pay for it in 10 years. Just looking at $8.5Billion, which is building a SHORTER route, and doesn't have to pay for getting access to private land, AND not taking into account the costs of maintaining the system, buying the rolling stock for transportation, or paying people to operate the system, at $5 per passenger to make up $8.5Billion in 10 years, you are going to need 170Million riders per year. Just to put that in perspective, the entire population of the US as per census.gov is around 337Million people.

I don't really get where the barrier to doing this is all that hard to see

Goofyernmost

You can get anywhere on property for free.
I don’t think that is a system that sucks.

And why do Disney need to provide Orlando with a public transportation system? Should they do it at Anaheim & Paris too?
Actually they do, in a way. There is a train the runs from Paris to a stop right in front of Disneyland Paris. I'm sure that Disney donated a good sum of money to get that train stop right there. As far as the OP question, although the general population would benefit from a Disney paid train service from the Airport to WDW, it is a hard sell to get the public to foot the bill for a system that just serves one very large business and it really isn't Disney's problem about how people get to the parks. It worked for years before the Magic Bus and it works now without the magic bus. Paris has incorporated a line that I believe was there before they built the parks, or if it wasn't there are a lot of stops along the way and it goes further than just DLP. In Orlando a lot of the economy of the area comes from the businesses that surround WDW. A lot of people are employed and the area collects a lot of taxes from those service and lodging places that kind of horseshoe around the resort.

AndyS2992

Actually they do, in a way. There is a train the runs from Paris to a stop right in front of Disneyland Paris. I'm sure that Disney donated a good sum of money to get that train stop right there. As far as the OP question, although the general population would benefit from a Disney paid train service from the Airport to WDW, it is a hard sell to get the public to foot the bill for a system that just serves one very large business and it really isn't Disney's problem about how people get to the parks. It worked for years before the Magic Bus and it works now without the magic bus. Paris has incorporated a line that I believe was there before they built the parks, or if it wasn't there are a lot of stops along the way and it goes further than just DLP. In Orlando a lot of the economy of the area comes from the businesses that surround WDW. A lot of people are employed and the area collects a lot of taxes from those service and lodging places that kind of horseshoe around the resort.
The station at Disneyland Paris (MLV/Chessy) was an extension of the existing RER A line and was specifically extended to get people from Paris to Disney easily, and later high speed rail was added in 1994 to get people from London, Brussels, Amsterdam and Frankfurt to Disney directly. It cost €126.5 Million, Disney stumped up €38.1 Million to get it built. It opened April 1992 along with the resort.

TalkToEthan

…….And Hong Kong has a dedicated offshoot train line dropping riders at the footstep of Disneyland—--such a perfect drop off

Then there’s Tokyo’s Keiyo Line with its Maihama station servicing TDR.

US Disney transportation is abysmal because of US culture and huge geography

Goofyernmost

…….And Hong Kong has a dedicated offshoot train line dropping riders at the footstep of Disneyland—--such a perfect drop off

Then there’s Tokyo’s Keiyo Line with its Maihama station servicing TDR.

US Disney transportation is abysmal because of US culture and huge geography
That part is true. We are an automobile dependent society. We are one nation that covers millions of square miles and the population is spread out. The rail system that would be required to make it a profitable venture would be double the size of the interstate system because all those rails would need to be closely attached to each other. No one would build it if it couldn't be paid for by something unless, of course, we want to pay more taxes to have the government support it. Then we all have to pay and many would never get to use it. That kind of infrastructure would not even be affordable at this point. Maybe if it were done piecemeal it could happen but it would likely take 100 more years. Europe has been a rail dependent area for over 100 years already and their rail system makes ours look like a Lionel Train set. My experience using the rail service in Europe and Japan is much different than anything we have here. The train stations there are as big if not bigger than most of our Airport Terminals.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom