I need help!!!

urbanvegan

Tough break, getting ill on vacation - it has happened to us before. It's always worse being sick when you are away from home. And being sick at Pop Century sounds like a nightmare.

It would be great if Disney could do something (and I'm sure they will try to be helpful) but they certainly have no responsibility to do so. That would be a job for vacation insurance.

I hope that things work out well for them.

If you wanted to send a "Get Well Soon" gift, Disney Florist is expensive, but they do very nice work. You could always just call 1-800-Flowers or something similar and have it delivered. They can do many gifts same day.

Crazy4WDW1

Depending on what you want from the Disney florist, the price can be quite reasonable. Give them a call. The folks that work there are wonderful and are always happy to help. I've used them a few times and have never spent more than $50.

nngrendel

If the tickets were never used to enter the theme parks at all, they won't expire. (They expire 14 days from first use unless No Expiration is purchased. But if you never enter a park, that 14-day countdown never starts) They can just keep their room keys and use those park tickets on a future trip.

If they've used one day, *perhaps* they might be able to talk to someone at Guest Relations or the front desk at their hotel. They might be able to add the No Expiration option onto their tickets for a reduced price (or free) to salvage those days that weren't used.

-Rob

I vote this as the best and most informative response to this entire thread.

In Oct of 08 my daughter was not allowed to go with me on my Disney Vacation. However, since her key was never used to enter a park then the 14 day timer never started. To this day I still have her 7 day hopper pass and we plan to use it on our upcoming May 2010 visit.

Seems Disney already has a built in option into the park tickets in case something should happen and you don't get to visit the parks.

TURKEY

They likely won't get the money back for the room as they are using it.

Tickets if used some, they may or may not like Rob said.

Also, if they have the dining plan, it may be able to be refunded. It's worth talking to the front desk - ask for a manager. If not, write a letter and something might happen.

CleveRocks

If they bought the no expiration option on their tix than it would appear to me that they only thing they would be out would be the cost of their hotel:shrug:
Since they didn't USE the tickets yet, they will not expire. Tickets expire 14 days after their first use. If you never used a ticket to enter an entrance turnstile, then that ticket will be good forever until it is first used, and then it will expire 14 days from that point.

Bernini98

Bingo!

If you can't afford the extra $94 for trip insurance, maybe you shouldn't be on a vacation in the first place.

:lookaroun

:rolleyes:

Perhaps that is why, coming from a large family, I had to wait until I was an adult and could pay for myself!

Sorry, your friend rolled the dice, why don't they see if they can check out early and "bank" the days for some other time

KeithVH

You know what the real lesson here is?

Never ask for advice on a subject where people can extrapolate on a tangential issue that something was not done correctly (the way THEY would have done it) so that the OP can be castigated about something totally off the topic they originally posted about.

Kinda like this:

duty_calls.png

fosse76

If you can't afford the extra $94 for trip insurance, maybe you shouldn't be on a vacation in the first place.

Not only was that NOT helpful, it is also very elitist. Some people budget very carefully...and really can't afford extra expenditures. Should I skip going to the movies with my friends if I don't have enough cash to purchase popcorn? I can still afford the movie. While to me and you an extra $100.00 won't make or break the trip, to others it can totally have an effect.

And as someone else has pointed out, if they haven't used their park tickets yet then they will be able to use them in the future.

CleveRocks

if she got sick and they both have not gone to the parks and paid for it, they need to speak with guest relations about getting there money back or allowing them to go home and come back at a later date. there is no excuse for them not allowing this when they have clearly paid there money!

not everyone has the money to purchase insurance on their trip. like the op said, she got sick the day of and not before. they should acknowledge that regardless. she got sick while she was there which is hindering her from going anywhere apparently, so like i said, have them contact guest relations and explain. there are plenty of people there that i believe will understand and try to help them the best they can.

how about we...agree to disagree. and i never said a free trip btw. i said they didnt go to any parks so if they explain there is a possibility that they can use those tickets another time and it is just my personal opinion that there should be "no excuse". mabye i should have been clearer. i appologize. this is not off topic. the op is asking what could be done and we are giving him our opinion. :) it cannot hirt to have your friends ask op.
Please read my response in the spirit it is being written ... I'm not angry, I'm not emotional, I'm not being negative ....

The OP was asking baout something nice to be done for the friends. I didn't detect that there was a want to "take care of" the trip in some way, I took it as a want to do something nice and friendly, something that could be sent to the room, that sort of thing. THAT is how I interpretted the OP's post.

As for your suggestions, I realize you took offense at people saying that if one can't afford the trip insurance then one shouldn't travel (or at least should be prepared to face the consequences). But I want you to look at it from a different angle.

Number one, there is a HUGE difference between someone being injured while on Disney property and someone becoming ill on their arrival day. An injury on Disney property may or may not be Disney's responsibility (legally, morally, or both) depending on the exact individual circumstances. But there are NO CIRCUMSTANES in which Disney could be liable (legally, morally, or both) for someone feeling ill on their arrival day. Infectious diseases take days to incubate inside the body ... it is clear that someone just arriving could be made sick by Disney.

Number two, Disney DOES sell trip insurance. The very fact that they sell it should communicate the fact that they are not going to be their guests' Fairy Godmother and make everything perfect. The very fact that they sell such insurance means that they will not simply give people a free stay in one of their resorts in the future because the people were not well enough to enjoy their trip. If Disney decided they would do something like that, they wouldn't sell trip insurance. This fact speaks for itself.

I'm not trying to be cold and negative. But the real world sometimes seems that way. Disney is part of the real world. They do like to "plus" their guests' experiences, and they do like to make up for their own errors, but please don't misinterpret this by thinking that they make everyone's troubles go away for any reason whatsoever.

Cindy'sBruno

Please read my response in the spirit it is being written ... I'm not angry, I'm not emotional, I'm not being negative ....

The OP was asking baout something nice to be done for the friends. I didn't detect that there was a want to "take care of" the trip in some way, I took it as a want to do something nice and friendly, something that could be sent to the room, that sort of thing. THAT is how I interpretted the OP's post.

As for your suggestions, I realize you took offense at people saying that if one can't afford the trip insurance then one shouldn't travel (or at least should be prepared to face the consequences). But I want you to look at it from a different angle.

Number one, there is a HUGE difference between someone being injured while on Disney property and someone becoming ill on their arrival day. An injury on Disney property may or may not be Disney's responsibility (legally, morally, or both) depending on the exact individual circumstances. But there are NO CIRCUMSTANES in which Disney could be liable (legally, morally, or both) for someone feeling ill on their arrival day. Infectious diseases take days to incubate inside the body ... it is clear that someone just arriving could be made sick by Disney.

Number two, Disney DOES sell trip insurance. The very fact that they sell it should communicate the fact that they are not going to be their guests' Fairy Godmother and make everything perfect. The very fact that they sell such insurance means that they will not simply give people a free stay in one of their resorts in the future because the people were not well enough to enjoy their trip. If Disney decided they would do something like that, they wouldn't sell trip insurance. This fact speaks for itself.

I'm not trying to be cold and negative. But the real world sometimes seems that way. Disney is part of the real world. They do like to "plus" their guests' experiences, and they do like to make up for their own errors, but please don't misinterpret this by thinking that they make everyone's troubles go away for any reason whatsoever.

I was thinking along the line as in....it would be very nice if they were allowed to come back at a later date and acctually visit the parks since they didnt get to see anything. As far as staying at the resorts for free...I guess I should have made myself clearer than what I did. I know they wouldnt prob be able to stay at the resort for free considering they were already staying there. I should have explained myself better. :lol: I tend to have that prob sometimes. I do understand what you are saying though.:wave: Especially about WDW being in the real world.....you kinda forget that once you are there! :ROFLOL::p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom