I need help!!!

brucie

Original Poster
My friends just got to Pop Century yesterday for their first trip to Disney together, His first time ever. And she got very sick the day they got there and had to go to Emergency. She is back at the resort now but not well and on antibiotics. She feels terrible and feels as though she has ruined her husbands first trip. They are not even sure if he will get to see the parks. I called Pop Century to see if there was anything "magical' that they could do for them, they are sending a card. Not what I had in mind. I was wondering if there was anyone in guest services that I could call and get them to do something special for them. I don't know what but this is Disney, this is what they are known for, making magic!!!!

brkgnews

Call the guest relations / switch board number in my sig and see if you have any luck. If you don't mind shelling out the dough, there's a WDW Florist (wdwflorist.com) that can send flowers, goodies, etc to rooms (for a fee of course).

Cindy'sBruno

if she got sick and they both have not gone to the parks and paid for it, they need to speak with guest relations about getting there money back or allowing them to go home and come back at a later date. there is no excuse for them not allowing this when they have clearly paid there money!

Laura

Premium Member
if she got sick and they both have not gone to the parks and paid for it, they need to speak with guest relations about getting there money back or allowing them to go home and come back at a later date. there is no excuse for them not allowing this when they have clearly paid there money!

There's something out there called trip insurance that Disney highly encourages anytime you book a trip for this exact reason. If you choose not to buy it, you're out of luck.

Cindy'sBruno

not everyone has the money to purchase insurance on their trip. like the op said, she got sick the day of and not before. they should acknowledge that regardless. she got sick while she was there which is hindering her from going anywhere apparently, so like i said, have them contact guest relations and explain. there are plenty of people there that i believe will understand and try to help them the best they can.

Laura

Premium Member
not everyone has the money to purchase insurance on their trip. like the op said, she got sick the day of and not before. they should acknowledge that regardless. she got sick while she was there which is hindering her from going anywhere apparently, so like i said, have them contact guest relations and explain. there are plenty of people there that i believe will understand and try to help them the best they can.

So...only people who can AFFORD trip insurance would be liable if they got sick on vacation? So if someone gets in a car accident without insurance because "they couldn't afford it" should the insurance company just hand them another car?

Trip insurance is not expensive. For a $7,000 vacation I took earlier this year, my trip insurance was $94.

The reason for trip insurance is to cover any money you've lost as a result of an illness (or death, or accident, or whatever) that has affected your vacation. If you didn't NEED this coverage to get your money back, then Disney would not OFFER it when you booked your trip.

I'm not saying Guest Relations isn't going to be nice and sweet, but saying there is "no excuse" for them not refunding the trip when they are in no way liable is ridiculous.

Cindy'sBruno

:) it isnt rediculous. disney also tells you that you are suppose to pay the remaining balance for your trip on a specific date. if certain situations come up and it is explained to them, they will most likely work with you. that doesnt mean they have to, it just means that there is a really good chance. there have been accidents at disney and on disney resort property that were minor and those were addressed. it doesnt mean they have to. im not saying that trip ins is not something good to have, but for some people...that $94 you are talking about is gas money or food or something along that line. dont say that trip ins isnt expensive, because to some people....it is. :)

macsmom

I always book my trip through Disney and insurance is included unless you say you don't want it. The choice is yours. So, with it being included in the price of the trip, no problems with paying it. So, if it was offered and your friends turned it down, then Disney might not have to do anything for them. That is, if they booked through Disney.

danna

Laura

Premium Member
(Brucie, I'm sorry for taking over this thread with things that are not even applicable to your situation. Please ignore. :lol:)

that doesnt mean they have to, it just means that there is a really good chance.

You just said a minute ago that there is NO EXCUSE for Disney not to buy these people another vacation. :confused:

im not saying that trip ins is not something good to have, but for some people...that $94 you are talking about is gas money or food or something along that line. dont say that trip ins isnt expensive, because to some people....it is. :)

Look, like I said before, insurance for a trip is no different than insurance for a house or for a car. It's the responsible thing to do and if you don't have it and something happens, you just can't whine about it. If someone would rather buy a princess meal than spend the $50 or whatever to insure their trip, then I'm not gonna feel sorry for them if something happens.

There's a lot of things *I* would rather buy with my money than insurance, but I'm also the type of person who takes responsibility for myself, rather than just crossing my fingers and hoping everything works out and if it doesn't, hoping that Disney will "bend the rules" and give me a free trip.

This is the same argument as the people who don't tip their servers at restaurants because they only had enough money for the food part. If you don't have enough money for the tip too, then you shouldn't be walking into the restaurant in the first place.

Anyway, back to the regular topic...which had nothing to do with a free trip or trip insurance.

Cindy'sBruno

how about we...agree to disagree. and i never said a free trip btw. i said they didnt go to any parks so if they explain there is a possibility that they can use those tickets another time and it is just my personal opinion that there should be "no excuse". mabye i should have been clearer. i appologize. this is not off topic. the op is asking what could be done and we are giving him our opinion. :) it cannot hirt to have your friends ask op.

Rob562

how about we...agree to disagree. and i never said a free trip btw. i said they didnt go to any parks so if they explain there is a possibility that they can use those tickets another time and it is just my personal opinion that there should be "no excuse". mabye i should have been clearer. i appologize. this is not off topic. the op is asking what could be done and we are giving him our opinion. :) it cannot hirt to have your friends ask op.

If the tickets were never used to enter the theme parks at all, they won't expire. (They expire 14 days from first use unless No Expiration is purchased. But if you never enter a park, that 14-day countdown never starts) They can just keep their room keys and use those park tickets on a future trip.

If they've used one day, *perhaps* they might be able to talk to someone at Guest Relations or the front desk at their hotel. They might be able to add the No Expiration option onto their tickets for a reduced price (or free) to salvage those days that weren't used.

-Rob

mcjaco

If you can't afford the extra $94 for trip insurance, maybe you shouldn't be on a vacation in the first place.

:lookaroun

:rolleyes:

cdunbar

If they bought the no expiration option on their tix than it would appear to me that they only thing they would be out would be the cost of their hotel:shrug:

rkelly42

This is a sad situation, that is just horrible to be sick at Disney World. On another note, it would be nice if Disney did something magical, but this is a common occurence. A card is a nice gesture, they cant do to much more than that. Maybe to send mousekeeping over twice instead of once.:shrug:

sueuk

We had 3 days ill while we were there 22/9 - 7/10, I was ill 2 days then Russ 1 day. There were things we missed and meals we cancelled, but we didn't expect anyone to reimburse us, it was just very bad luck. BTW I agree with the insurance discussion - if you take the risk of booking a holiday without it, then don't complain when something happens. Sorry - just my feelings.

lighteningqueen

This is just wrong on some of the posters here. You should never tell someone they should not be doing something if they cannot afford it. It is none of your business if they did or did not purchase it. The poster was just asking if there is something that she could do with guest relations to send them something for their trip that would make them feel better and know someone was thinking about them. They never said how can I get their money back. Why is it that every time someone ask for some help there are 5 others blasting them for not doing something and making a post turn into something ugly. By the way we didn't purchase insurance for this upcoming trip, and my husband was just diagnosed with bladder cancer and has gone thru one surgery already. I would just move the trip and not need the insurance. So lets be kind to people and keep your thoughts to yourself on how you think they are scamming Disney. I feel for them no one knows when they will get sick and with all the Flu scares out there it could be any day for any one. Would you tell them they should not have taken any breaths that day and they wouldn't be sick???

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is very little that guest services will be able to do. As has already been suggested you might want to see if guest services will take a little pity on them and add no expiration onto the tickets or add it to the tickets on their own to cut their losses. One other avenue they might want to explore is to call their credit card company. Quite a few CC companies have free travel insurance if the trip was charged on their card. It is a long shot but it is worth a try.

Laura

Premium Member
It is none of your business if they did or did not purchase it. The poster was just asking if there is something that she could do with guest relations to send them something for their trip that would make them feel better and know someone was thinking about them. They never said how can I get their money back.

The posts regarding trip insurance were not in response to the OP, but in response to someone suggesting Disney give them some sort of compensation for the illness. Thread drifts are nothing to raise your blood pressure over. :rolleyes:

sublimesting

How is them getting sick while there Disney's fault? And like I say, the sickness was acquired before they even got to Disney as it takes days to develop sickness after infection so technically she got sick at home and presented at Disney. That is why you buy insurance and no expiration tickets. Perhaps Disney will let them but the no expiration now but they certainly aren't required to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom