I need a ruling / opinion on something from everyone who can read....

pluto77

This!

Seriously, looking at other peoples photos is a snooze fest especially if it's somewhere you can't get to yourself.

No matter how much people pretend they like other peoples holiday photos they're lying. Unless you're there it's boring/depressing or irrelevant at best.

Focus on your Mum and do her a family tree type thing with photos she's in and can relate to.

Um.... seriously? :confused: You think a mother/grandmother is actually going to find looking at pictures of her children/grandchildren a "snooze fest" and that she's find them irrelevant??? Who's being narcissistic here (I only ask this because of the post you agreed with)? The person who spent a lot of time and energy putting together a photo album because he wanted to make sure and share his memories with his mom who is unable to see them much, or the person who looks at said photos and doesn't care about them because they aren't in the photos? You must really hate when the holidays come around and people send out holiday cards of their family photos. :p

My kids are kids right now so I'm into everything they do. If they are 40 years old and sending me albums of JUST their Disney vacations, I'd think that was weird.

There's nothing wrong with sharing a bunch of various pictures of people. That's nice. It's when it's strictly a collaboration of Disney vacation pictures that it crosses into weirdo territory.

I am making some assumptions though. I'm assuming that the Disney vacation pictures include pictures of the castle, pictures of parades, and stuff like that. Those are the type of pictures I think are wacko to send to someone as a gift. If the pictures are ALL pictures of the people, then fine.
Did you forget that you were on a Disney World fan page? ;) He states that his mother wasn't able to make it on the Disney trips because of health issues, so maybe she would love to see how it has changed and what it looks like now, as well as being able to enjoy the experiences her grandkids had. What's weird about that?
But in Ron's situation, the only way he can share his photos with his mother are by sending them to her or sharing them with her on his once a year visit.

I would think it would be very difficult for grandparents and grandkids to feel "connected" only seeing each other once a year. If Grandma had pictures from the grandkids' vacation, it is a great conversation starter on the phone. Not just, "Did you have fun at WDW?" but "That waterslide looked like so much fun!" I truly think that most grandparents would be grateful to receive anything to help them have a deeper relationship with their grandkids. If the grandma is offended by this gift, I'd think that she is a little self-centered.

I find topics like this so interesting when I realize how divergent people's opinions can be.
Exactly! I think some people are forgetting the bond a mother and grandmother has with her children and grandchildren. I am the only one in my family who moved far away, and I find that anything I can do to keep my relationship with my mom "closer," to remind her that I'm not forgetting about her and that I do think about her on a daily basis is something she really appreciates. And I'm positive that if my mom couldn't make it on one of our family trips because of health issues, and we were making a photo book, she would want one.

Like I said, I don't have children (yet), but I would be all about getting something like this with my nieces and nephews. If the rest of my family went on a trip that I wasn't able to make because I live farther away, I wouldn't take it as them being narcissistic at all. I would take that as a huge compliment of them thinking about me letting me in on their memories.

Ben_since_1971

I don't know about a whole album, but from personal experience, I think it is a great idea. For this past Christmas, we gave my MIL a calendar we had done up at Wal Mart that was filled with pictures of our nephews (her grandkids) from over the years. We don't have kids of our own, but we treat these 3 boys like they were ours. We have pictures going back 7 years, when they were 12, 7 and 3 and up to today. My MIL was not part of any of the trips these pictures were from (mostly pumpkin hunts in October), but she LOVED the calendar. Brought it to bingo and bowling and just showed it off.

So go for it.

Ron Burgundy

Original Poster
Lots of truth and little else..

I tried to like your comment twice... But it wouldn't let me. :D Thank you for being able to think about the issue from a personal standpoint after reading the post and weighing out the key factors. I've already been judged by some people here regarding things I didn't even ask about lol.. "Derp, your idea is stupid! I'd buy her a bass guitar so you guys can have a champagne jam session." Again, thanks. :)

The only thing I see as weird is someone thinking that vacation photos are "private"... Does your wife not realize that there were thousands upon thousands of people around you during your vacation? Does she not realize that your all more likely than not captured in the background of someone else's photos? You are all probably shown in places you have never imagined viewed by people that you will never see again... Not sure why she would think it was weird...

Thank you. You were one of the ones who answered to what I was looking for. :D A lot of people have become very sidetracked with things I wasn't asking about.

My kids are kids right now so I'm into everything they do. If they are 40 years old and sending me albums of JUST their Disney vacations, I'd think that was weird.

There's nothing wrong with sharing a bunch of various pictures of people. That's nice. It's when it's strictly a collaboration of Disney vacation pictures that it crosses into weirdo territory.

Hmm.. I'd be grateful for whatever my kids ever gave me. But then, that's me.. But that isn't really the point of the post. Generally speaking, I feel vacation pictures regardless of where they are shouldn't be considered "too private" to be shared. That's the point of the post... That's what I was trying to confirm from people. Not whether or not a Disney album is appropriate.

Look if my kids go away I would love looking at their holiday snaps because they would show them to me personally and tell anacedotes about the trip to make me laugh.Would I want to OWN a library of them? No because they aren't my memories.

I am being real and honest here. Photos of family together are priceless. Other peoples are nice to share but own? Freakin' weird.

As to if I think family photos are too personal to share with in-laws? No I don't think it's too personal. Just too unnecessary.

At least toward the end I got what I was looking for lol... I respectfully disagree about how "necessary" it is. I think I covered why photos of family that she doesn't get to see would be something she would think is wonderful... and does.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
And the question to me begs, why the wife is balking, especially the way you chose to put it, and underlying issue with her mother in law. Is there? And is this worth a debate with your wife? So if Wife loses, you win, MIL wins, that is a good conclusion for the wife to loose over something she is strongly against. Also the way you put it for your Mom to OWN her copy of the family vacation, a bit unsettling.

Why not Skype with Mom and Grandchildren and yourself? When you go to see Mom next time, bring along some albums to view and share but not give away. Leave some sports photos of the kids, their school pictures and be done with it.

I just can't see why giving Mom a photo album is worth the friction you're going to start at home.

A happy wife is a happy life and a happy home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom