I need a ruling / opinion on something from everyone who can read....

alissafalco

I think its a great idea and nothing is wrong with it being exclusively Disney. HOWEVER, I do feel that you should include a little section of pictures that you have with your mother in them! Do you have any pics of the family with her? That would be nice to include in the end. I'm sure she would like that very much. Just my opinion.

jlsHouston

Before I give my honest opinion, I would like you to answer why your mom only went to WDW once when you were 3 and why she wasn't included in any of these WDW vacations you and your wife and her grandkids have been on that you now want to share with photo album.

Tomi-Rocket

I made a photo book for both of my parents from our last trip and they both LOVED it! They loved seeing how much fun the kids had (even some grumpy pics, too, lol) and the pictures of the whole family. I threw in just a few location or atmosphere shots but they really enjoyed them. I am making more front his past trip, too. It's a wonderful gift to share!

Ron Burgundy

Original Poster
Before I give my honest opinion, I would like you to answer why your mom only went to WDW once when you were 3 and why she wasn't included in any of these WDW vacations you and your wife and her grandkids have been on that you now want to share with photo album.

1. We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up.
2. Her health doesn't allow for her to go on trips much especially ones that require getting from point A to B.
3. We're making a "Disney Photo Album" and just recently got a ton of physical copies of the photos in the mail to begin. I just figured making an additional book would be a great thing to do while we had the items on hand.

I think making it exclusively Disney does seem a bit.....interesting! I think an album, INCLUDING pics from your vacations is a GREAT idea. But exclusively Disney? IDK. I've found that unless people have been there and are as obsessed as we are, may not really care, or understand why it's so special to us!

What about albums that also include other things, trips to the pumpkin patch, trick or treating, holidays and bdays. Other significant days in the years too :)

All excellent ideas. My position was that the photos of Disney were for our Disney book we are creating and were the only ones we currently had physical copies of which just came in.. Then the idea hit me. I agree though. Perhaps sending off a few more digital photos of other things may enhance the gift. I may not have been clear on the reason for it just being exclusively Disney photos... But then I still wouldn't think twice about it.

I'll be honest. I think it's weird and a tad narcissistic. Like, "Look at us and all our fun vacations that we took without you that you had nothing to do with!" I'd be totally put off if a relative sent me a bunch of pics of their vacations as a gift.

I'd first like to say thank you for your opinion. I'm not sure -narcissism- would be the correct derivation given the situation at hand though. Without knowing my mother, it's understandable that you have no way of knowing that my mother would be elated to receive pictures of us all in that she never gets to see us. She doesn't look at things that way. She would just see it as an opportunity to in some way be a part of something wonderful that brought joy to us.

I feel like I should add that I don't think is because the Disney pics are "personal" or "private".

*INSANE APPLAUSE* Exactly... And yeah the only reason that the album would be -just- Disney pics was because we were making a Disney book for ourselves and had the hard copies on hand. That's when the idea hit me. But yeah.. More variety is the way to go. So I'm just going to send off more digitals to turn into physical copies.

Weird. IMHO

I should have added the Paul Harvey "rest of the story." It wasn't that I elected to -just- seek out Disney pictures. It was that they were the only ones we had physical copies of hand for an album we were making.

epcotisbest

1. We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up.
2. Her health doesn't allow for her to go on trips much especially ones that require getting from point A to B.
3. We're making a "Disney Photo Album" and just recently got a ton of physical copies of the photos in the mail to begin. I just figured making an additional book would be a great thing to do while we had the items on hand.

All excellent ideas. My position was that the photos of Disney were for our Disney book we are creating and were the only ones we currently had physical copies of which just came in.. Then the idea hit me. I agree though. Perhaps sending off a few more digital photos of other things may enhance the gift. I may not have been clear on the reason for it just being exclusively Disney photos... But then I still wouldn't think twice about it.

I'd first like to say thank you for your opinion. I'm not sure -narcissism- would be the correct derivation given the situation at hand though. Without knowing my mother, it's understandable that you have no way of knowing that my mother would be elated to receive pictures of us all in that she never gets to see us. She doesn't look at things that way. She would just see it as an opportunity to in some way be a part of something wonderful that brought joy to us.

*INSANE APPLAUSE* Exactly... And yeah the only reason that the album would be -just- Disney pics was because we were making a Disney book for ourselves and had the hard copies on hand. That's when the idea hit me. But yeah.. More variety is the way to go. So I'm just going to send off more digitals to turn into physical copies.

I should have added the Paul Harvey "rest of the story." It wasn't that I elected to -just- seek out Disney pictures. It was that they were the only ones we had physical copies of hand for an album we were making.
Less weird now.

jlsHouston

Less weird now.

Exactly...that makes me sad... I know exactly how it is to be too poor to make it to WDW...and we once lived only 3 hours away but it could have been China...

I think a memory book of your families WDW trips for her is great. I think including some pics of her with you guys at the preface and/or end of the photo book would help to make her a part of those memories.

I just had to question you because my opinion was going to based on your reasons...

Anyways she is your mom...she will probably love anything you share/do for her.

DManRightHere

If your mother really enjoys Disney World maybe you could do a timeline style for each park if you have enough photos. Then it may be more all around themed than "hey, here is just my family at Disney World".

stevehousse

I'll be honest I didn't really read the rest of the posts, only the first one. I think if it's vacations that she went on with u to Disney it's a great idea! If it's just u, your wife and your kids at Disney, it becomes a little odd...

pluto77

I honestly don't know why people would think that your idea is odd or narcissistic. I don't mean that to be a judgement or anything, it may be just different family dynamics which I can respect. I just know that my mom would have the same reaction as mommy2cooper explained and that you say your mom would have. Especially if she did have health problems that would keep her from traveling and wasn't able to see us much. My parents love that kind of stuff, especially from me because I am the only one who moved far away.... I mean, she used to always watch my slide show marching band pictures over and over, and she did the same thing with my nephew's Europe trip video that he went on, even though she wasn't there to experience it with him. They raised us, of course they are interested in our lives. It probably would be weird getting a gift like that from some random relative but not from one of your kids/grandkids. Not that I have any experience with that (on the parent side) as I don't have kids (yet) but that's I would feel.

mcstensrud

I'm thinking like a collage or 1 picture of the whole family blown up and framed.the photo album is a bit much if she is not in it,probably just end up on a shelf or book case. At least a framed pic or collage will get hung up in a special spot in her home!

3Caballeros

I'm thinking like a collage or 1 picture of the whole family blown up and framed.the photo album is a bit much if she is not in it,probably just end up on a shelf or book case. At least a framed pic or collage will get hung up in a special spot in her home!
I like the idea of a collage as an entire album may be too much. I know with my parents and in laws, they have been passing their albums and photos to us & our siblings. So I don't think they want a new album back.
I have given Disney pics to relatives in Christmas cards but it was just 1-2 pics.

ToyStorygirl

I'll be honest. I think it's weird and a tad narcissistic. Like, "Look at us and all our fun vacations that we took without you that you had nothing to do with!" I'd be totally put off if a relative sent me a bunch of pics of their vacations as a gift. If she only went to Disney once when you were 3, I highly doubt she cares how the park has changed over the years.

A more meaningful gift would be more along the lines of an album of memories that you SHARED with your mom. I don't see how a bunch of pictures of your personal vacations have anything to do with her.

This!

Seriously, looking at other peoples photos is a snooze fest especially if it's somewhere you can't get to yourself.

No matter how much people pretend they like other peoples holiday photos they're lying. Unless you're there it's boring/depressing or irrelevant at best.

Focus on your Mum and do her a family tree type thing with photos she's in and can relate to.

Obi

we created 2 photobooks, from shutterfly, as Christmas presents for my grandma and my sister with pictures taken from the Disney trip we recently took.

the reason we did that is because they were not able to go, but wanted a memento of the trip to see the pictures of my sister's granddaughters/grandma's great great granddaughters. They both loved the photobooks they got.

Laura

This!

Seriously, looking at other peoples photos is a snooze fest especially if it's somewhere you can't get to yourself.

No matter how much people pretend they like other peoples holiday photos they're lying. Unless you're there it's boring/depressing or irrelevant at best.

Exactly. Of course they're going to ACT like they like the gift. But in the back of their minds they're probably thinking, "and WHY should I care about this vacation I didn't go on??"

If my parents went on a fabulous cruise without me (which they do ALL THE TIME), and then for Christmas handed me a gift of their personal memories and pictures of the cruise, I'd be kinda irked! Gee mom, thanks for reminding me how much fun you had without me! :p I do enjoy seeing her pics on Facebook, but I don't want them wrapped up with a bow and given to me as a present.

Does that mean I don't love my parents? Of course not. I just don't see how their vacation that I didn't go on is somehow supposed to make me feel good.

There are so many more thoughtful things that could be done.

Fletch

I'm not sure -narcissism- would be the correct derivation given the situation at hand though. Without knowing my mother, it's understandable that you have no way of knowing that my mother would be elated to receive pictures of us all in that she never gets to see us. She doesn't look at things that way. She would just see it as an opportunity to in some way be a part of something wonderful that brought joy to us.

This.

From my experience grandparents are absolutely thrilled to get pictures and videos of their kids and grandkids. My guess is the location of the pictures would not matter. What ever you decide I bet she will be thrilled.

loveofamouse

I'll be honest. I think it's weird and a tad narcissistic. Like, "Look at us and all our fun vacations that we took without you that you had nothing to do with!" I'd be totally put off if a relative sent me a bunch of pics of their vacations as a gift. If she only went to Disney once when you were 3, I highly doubt she cares how the park has changed over the years.

A more meaningful gift would be more along the lines of an album of memories that you SHARED with your mom. I don't see how a bunch of pictures of your personal vacations have anything to do with her.

I agree. That's the part that seems odd, to me. At first, I was thinking you meant vacations she took with you guys but just you guys taking vacations without her does seem a bit odd. Put together an album, yes. Only pics of you guys at disney without her? Not so much

Ron Burgundy

Original Poster
I'm afraid the point of my original post has been lost in the mix over the course of this thread.. :) I added the red section to the original post to help eliminate any miscommunication. :)

Focus on your Mum and do her a family tree type thing with photos she's in and can relate to.

I'll be honest I didn't really read the rest of the posts, only the first one. I think if it's vacations that she went on with u to Disney it's a great idea! If it's just u, your wife and your kids at Disney, it becomes a little odd...

If your mother really enjoys Disney World maybe you could do a timeline style for each park if you have enough photos. Then it may be more all around themed than "hey, here is just my family at Disney World".

Exactly. Of course they're going to ACT like they like the gift. But in the back of their minds they're probably thinking, "and WHY should I care about this vacation I didn't go on??"

If my parents went on a fabulous cruise without me (which they do ALL THE TIME), and then for Christmas handed me a gift of their personal memories and pictures of the cruise, I'd be kinda irked! Gee mom, thanks for reminding me how much fun you had without me! :p I do enjoy seeing her pics on Facebook, but I don't want them wrapped up with a bow and given to me as a present.

Does that mean I don't love my parents? Of course not. I just don't see how their vacation that I didn't go on is somehow supposed to make me feel good.
There are so many more thoughtful things that could be done.

I agree. That's the part that seems odd, to me. At first, I was thinking you meant vacations she took with you guys but just you guys taking vacations without her does seem a bit odd. Put together an album, yes. Only pics of you guys at disney without her? Not so much
========================================================================

we created 2 photobooks, from shutterfly, as Christmas presents for my grandma and my sister with pictures taken from the Disney trip we recently took.

the reason we did that is because they were not able to go, but wanted a memento of the trip to see the pictures of my sister's granddaughters/grandma's great great granddaughters. They both loved the photobooks they got.

**Applause** You are on point! This is the type of answer I was asking for.. My wife feels the pictures of our vacation should be something that should only be seen by people who view our album and in no way should be disseminated to other people. I happen to disagree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom