I need a ruling / opinion on something from everyone who can read....

Ron Burgundy

Original Poster
My wife and I are debating the issue of putting together a photo album for my mother that has a ton of pictures of me, my wife, and our kids going to Disney over the last three years or so... My mother lives pretty far away which makes visiting a nightmare and practically nonexistent (maybe once a year). I think it's a wonderful gift to her that shows a lot of amazing pictures of all of us at a very beautiful place that she can enjoy and reflect back on as we once went together when I was 3 or so. It also gives her the chance to see the park and how it's changed over the years since the one time she went so many years ago. But most importantly... There are pictures of us who she never gets to see.

My wife insists that it's "weird" to send her an album like this as it's of our family vacation and should be more personal / private or something... I'm trying to be respectful about the subject but quite frankly I feel like she's so far out in left field that you can't see home plate. In my heart I feel it's just some underlying issue she has with her "mother-in-law."

From people whom I have no connection to, I would like your honest opinion on whether or not this is "weird" to offer this gift of pictures from our vacations to Disney. Am I wrong? Or is this a perfectly fine gesture and gift?

Thanks..

*** UPDATED FOR MORE CLARIFICATION AS IT SEEMS THE POINT HAS BEEN LOST lol ***
The issue is whether or not our pictures taken should be considered too -private- to share with my mother. I happen to think family vacation pictures aren't things other people shouldn't be allowed to own copies of...

Last edited:

Graham9

I have been asked to do something like this myself and it certainly doesn't sound weird at all. I can't comment if its right to have a family book or Disney book - only you can answer that. Perhaps a book with some of both in would be the best compromise. Or maybe two books.

Vacation pictures can certainly be called family pictures.

Britt

I think making it exclusively Disney does seem a bit.....interesting! I think an album, INCLUDING pics from your vacations is a GREAT idea. But exclusively Disney? IDK. I've found that unless people have been there and are as obsessed as we are, may not really care, or understand why it's so special to us!

What about albums that also include other things, trips to the pumpkin patch, trick or treating, holidays and bdays. Other significant days in the years too :)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
It isn't weird. But you could compromise with a more general album of pictures over the past three years and either have it organized chronologically or have it organized by theme (ie: pictures of the trips to WDW, pictures from Christmas time, pictures from birthdays, pictures from school events, etc). My sister does a photo album every year of my DD and gives it to us for Christmas. It is my absolute favorite gift and I look forward to it each year. If the year includes a trip to a Disney park, she often does a separate photo book just for the Disney trip because of the volume of pictures.

pluto77

I know my mom would love to have something like that. I do kind of agree that if Disney isn't as special to your mom as it is to your family maybe other pictures should be included, but it just depends. In either case, it sounds like your wife has more of an issue of keeping your family photos private rather than the fact that they are of Disney vacations (correct me if I'm wrong). I can understand and respect her viewpoint, but I think for someone as close as your mother, it would be appropriate and a great gift for her. Especially with her being far away. It's kind of hard to tell you something is right because family dynamics are different in every family. Just for me, like I said, I know my mom would love to have something like that and I can see myself doing something like that for her.

WDWoptmist

I don't find that weird at all. The whole purpose of a photo album is to bring back memories and if you really had always had great times at Disney why not give an album to bring her back to those fun times she had with family...that's my thoughts good luck!

draybook

I use a program called Wondershare to make neat little slideshow videos with music to send to my folks. They live in Idaho and we're down here outside of Memphis, so I haven't seen them since 2003 or 2004.

Anyways, I make the video and send it to them and they love it. There's nothing wrong with a video that is strictly Disney or wherever you might vacation at.

Laura

I'll be honest. I think it's weird and a tad narcissistic. Like, "Look at us and all our fun vacations that we took without you that you had nothing to do with!" I'd be totally put off if a relative sent me a bunch of pics of their vacations as a gift. If she only went to Disney once when you were 3, I highly doubt she cares how the park has changed over the years.

A more meaningful gift would be more along the lines of an album of memories that you SHARED with your mom. I don't see how a bunch of pictures of your personal vacations have anything to do with her.

eliz603

I don't think it's weird, but I do agree that it would be better to not be JUST Disney. Maybe half. I know my family (my parents and ILs) like to see highlights of our trip, but they'd think it a bit odd to be ONLY Disney.

I agree that she probably doesn't really care about seeing how much Disney has changed if it's been that long since she's been.

Jo DeVil

I only see my in laws about once a year and Mil sees something bad no matter what we do! I know she would see it as "Look at the holidays we have had without you". I don't think it is weird but maybe your wife sees it might be taken the wrong way I would put some other photos in just in case.

As a mother myself i'd love to see multiple experiences my children would have experienced. It's a peek into their lives, which while I wouldn't be there, would make me feel closer, like I get to experience it with them. If you are putting pictures of other experiences in there as well, I see no reason to not put those in there. especially if it was a magical experience your family had together. she'd want to see that too....personally that'd be the most thoughtful and wonderful gift I could receive from my child if he were older and lived far away.

As for your spouse, I can say for me it's sometimes hard for me to get into the "spirit" when it comes to in laws. It's easier now because we've become closer, but it's still somewhat awkward for myself to do these sorts of things. I think you should encourage her that this is what your mother would like to see. maybe not every photo but some yes, it'd be wonderful to see.

fillerup

As a mother myself i'd love to see multiple experiences my children would have experienced. It's a peek into their lives, which while I wouldn't be there, would make me feel closer, like I get to experience it with them. If you are putting pictures of other experiences in there as well, I see no reason to not put those in there. especially if it was a magical experience your family had together. she'd want to see that too....personally that'd be the most thoughtful and wonderful gift I could receive from my child if he were older and lived far away.

As for your spouse, I can say for me it's sometimes hard for me to get into the "spirit" when it comes to in laws. It's easier now because we've become closer, but it's still somewhat awkward for myself to do these sorts of things. I think you should encourage her that this is what your mother would like to see. maybe not every photo but some yes, it'd be wonderful to see.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, but without knowing the parties involved it's hard to judge.

Perhaps your wife thinks your mother would find it objectionable or your wife feels it would be a narcissistic thing to do. Something only the two of you can decide, but I'd probably opt on the side of peace in the family.

But another poster had a great suggestion about an online slideshow.

fbp

Seems to me the answer really depends on the personalities of your Wife and Mom. You could offend both, one or the other, or make both happy as clams.

Belle2013

I don't think it is weird! I think it is an awesome idea. But both my parents and in-laws love Disney too so they would think it is pretty neat. You know your mom the best and would know if she would enjoy the album or not. :)

MaryJaneP

Not weird. Maybe a compromise by getting one of those picture frames that shows a slideshow off of a USB drive. That way you could change the mix from time to time and include different seasons/years of pictures. Others in your family could also send her their slideshows on USB, if she likes it.

Allym146

I think it's...unnecessary and limiting to only use Disney trip pictures. Why not throw in some others? School pics, holidays, trips to the zoo! Whatever you happen to have. If you favor the Disney pics because of better quality or nicer scenery then that's fine, add more of those...just not all.

I feel like I should add that I don't think is because the Disney pics are "personal" or "private". I just think variety is nice:).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom