I Like The Wand

juan

I used to like it quite a bit, but after working at epcot and seeing it everyday, I can't stand it. It just looks tacky and out of place.
It would be kind of like having a giant sign on the castle saying Magic Kingdom in 30 foot letters.

tirian

^^ That's similar to my reason for disliking the wand.

When it first went up for the Millenial Celebration, I loved the wand, and thought that it was a fantastic piece of "2000" magic.

Then it became the Epcot wand.

Then it stayed a few more years.

Then the plastic pieces started buckling and showing signs of wear-and-tear.

Now it's 2007, and the fact that the wand was intended to be temporary has become increasingly obvious. First, no one needs a sign to remind him where he is. Secondly, while I agree that the wand is actually pretty (not beautiful, but pretty) at night, it's hideous during the day. Finally, it looks like it came straight out of Las Vegas, and it doesn't match the architectural wonder of Epcot. It overpowers the geosphere. Before the wand, SSE looked huge; now it doesn't look very impressive. (This is a similar effect that the 50th Anniversary figures had on the castle; the mirror and Peter Pan characters destroyed the forced perspective and made the castle look very small.)

Stand in World Showcase and look at the wand. You'll see what I mean; it simply doesn't belong there anymore.

goofyfan13

I'm going to go with Laura's assertion in another wand thread that we put our opinions about the wand in our signature. That way a new wand thread doesn't pop up every 2 weeks...

This isn't meant as a bash to the OP...so don't take it that way.

KimnAbby

I think I'm kind of a traditionalist and against a ton of new change, so I didn't really like it at first. BUt I think the wand has grown on me and now I don't mind it so much!

Now the giant hat at MGM, that's a whole nother story!

Philo

I kind of like it. I've never seen it (in person) without the wand and for the casual passerby it doesn't show any real sign of wear or tear.

DisneyMusician2

I just don't get it. It's gawdy and completely garish. And if you don't know where you are without the wand, try all of the well-planned architeture around you, including the geoshpere....or perhaps a park map would do it.

celticdog

I like it. I remember back in September 1999 when the wand was going up. I spent quite a bit of time admiring the superstructure, the foundation, the cranes and the general magnitude of it all. It may just be the engineer in me, but I am throughly impressed by it.

hauntdmansion79

Where's Corrus?!

I have to say that I am extremely shocked that Corrus hasn't joined this conversation yet....I haven't seen an Epcot Wand debate without him yet. I hope he's OK.

Sorry Corrus but here is my 2 cents....

I 100% vote for the wand to go.

jmvd20

A wand should be built over every attraction. By doing this disney could save themselves the cost and expense of printing out park maps. Also, if done correctly they could even have the description of each attraction on the wand. Possibly even show times to eliminate the times guides.

It's just my opinion but it does accomplish a number of things, including less confusion as people will know where everything is without having to look down at park maps. It will also eliminate people running into you while reading park maps. And of course it will help curb global warming since trees will not be harvested for the park maps.

I don't get why so many people don't like the want on SSE. I think it makes it look nice and makes it stand out more. Sure, it was nice before we got the wand on it, but now that i've seen it like this i have to say that i prefer it.

I think the wand looks really nice at night as well, makes for some good photos.
Seeing SEE in the distance always makes me smile and makes me so happy that i'm back at Disney!

Just wanted to add my thoughts on it :)

tirian

Unlike the rest of WDW

Yes, unlike the rest of WDW.

Although much of WDW is based on fantasy, it is constructed to look like it's a real place, not a cheap cardboard cutout of one. Chester and Hester's is the only place in any of the parks that is designed to look gaudy, and that's only to complete its theme.

WDW isn't garish at all.

tirian

Millions of flies eat cow poo, your average visitor probably has no opinion about the wand, so whats your point caller?

The most-asked question complaint regarding SSE is "When is the wand coming down?" Guests think that it ruins their pictures.

I'm not kidding.

(Thanks to my Epcot GR friends for the info!)

FloridaJoshua

A wand should be built over every attraction. By doing this disney could save themselves the cost and expense of printing out park maps. Also, if done correctly they could even have the description of each attraction on the wand. Possibly even show times to eliminate the times guides.

It's just my opinion but it does accomplish a number of things, including less confusion as people will know where everything is without having to look down at park maps. It will also eliminate people running into you while reading park maps. And of course it will help curb global warming since trees will not be harvested for the park maps.

What a great idea! Does anyone have Bob Iger's email address? :king:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom