I like the new Journey into Imagination

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
I remember seeing the original when I went 15 years ago and loved it. When I heard they were changing it, I did get worried, but now that i've seen it, I LOVE IT! I then some time later found Martin's video of the original and now that I can compare the two, I honestly think it was truly due for an update. I kinda morn for the Dreamfinder, but now we have Eric Idle which I think is a good trade-off. Plus, looking at the video, it the basic concept was good, but seemed a little repetative and really childish. The new one seems like it can be enjoyed by any age. Plus, it tells a story with Figment trying to convince the scientist that your imagination should be set free and I love that they still play the song in the end. ^^ The new Imageworks left alot to be desired to me, (I missed the blue screen where you could pretend to be in certain senerios) but all in all, I think the attraction is just as good if not better than before. Plus, it also now links to the rest of the Imagination thing with Eric Idle's character being in both this AND HISTA.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
you might be the only one that prefers present over the past attraction:lol:

any luck on the Ariel video where she is checking you out?

SirGoofy

As the one of biggest JII v.1 fans here, I must disagree with you. Version 3 is much better than 2, but it doesn't compare to the original. The original had a spark(no pun intended), whereas this one is so dry and industrial. The original had big, beautiful sets. The new one has black curtains and blacklit signs as scenery at one point. Plus the ride is about 5 minutes shorter than the first. The new one just doesn't have the heart that pulls people in that the original did, which is why it is the faliure it is today.

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
which one is version 3 and which one is version 2? I saw the one with Eric Idle and the song in the end. It also had Idle's character using the four senses in experiments and Figment messing it up. I honestly enjoyed this version. Though you're right. It is missing something that the old one had and the sets to the old one were more a feast to the eyes, but the new one flows better to me as a story.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
WDWcrazy626 said:
can someone explain to me how to get to the roiginal JII video that we are talking about? please?:wave:

Take a look in the digital media thread `what is disney central` or click on the link in my signature and read my message `where can you find my videos`

ps; Version one by a long shot. Then version three. Version 2 is best forgotten.

MissM

http://www.figmentsimagination.com/welcome.htm

They've got info, videos, and sound clips on all three versions. The original is unquestionably the best. The third (current) version is an improved version of the complete failure of the second version. (I was told that they'd never received more complaints then from that. And that they would get 5-10 people a day who rode it total.) Figment was gone from the second version as was the famous "One Little Spark" song.

This page specifically gets into more details about the original version: http://www.figmentsimagination.com/story1.html

The ride's three incarnations:
Journey Into Imagination (1983-1998)
Journey Into Your Imagination (1999-2001)
Journey Into Imagination with Figment (2002 - current)

Check out video of all three here: http://www.figmentsimagination.com/vault.html

-m

Well, I am glad to see that someone enjoys the most recent JII. :animwink:
Unfortunately, to me the original had a magical quality to it that was not replicated in this newer version. I miss the original version and wish Figment would come back to the way he was.

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
:lol: Me too in a way. I miss the Dreamfinder, I miss the old Imageworks (The photo editor thing was fun, but I can do stuff like that at home) But I have to say that I seriously enjoyed it. Maybe it was Eric Idle. I really like him.

mitchk

The new ride is like going to get a physical (Without the awkward part) ...check your vision, hearing...ect. In no way does it even compare with the original, but it is better than the 2nd version.

BTW. Eric Idle is good (I loved Nuns on the Run), but he is no Dreamfinder

MickeyTigg

mitchk said:
The new ride is like going to get a physical (Without the awkward part) ...check your vision, hearing...ect. In no way does it even compare with the original, but it is better than the 2nd version.

BTW. Eric Idle is good (I loved Nuns on the Run), but he is no Dreamfinder

Total agreement...the new version isn't great....but it's better than the second.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
1999-2001......booooooo!!!

thank GOD I missed the 1999-2001 period....I just got done watching the ride-through and all I have to say is "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!" :mad: :mad: Figment MAKES the JII attraction.

~heather
Former DTD WDWCP CM (2003-2004)

MissM said:
http://www.figmentsimagination.com/welcome.htm

They've got info, videos, and sound clips on all three versions. The original is unquestionably the best. The third (current) version is an improved version of the complete failure of the second version. (I was told that they'd never received more complaints then from that. And that they would get 5-10 people a day who rode it total.) Figment was gone from the second version as was the famous "One Little Spark" song.

This page specifically gets into more details about the original version: http://www.figmentsimagination.com/story1.html

The ride's three incarnations:
Journey Into Imagination (1983-1998)
Journey Into Your Imagination (1999-2001)
Journey Into Imagination with Figment (2002 - current)

Check out video of all three here: http://www.figmentsimagination.com/vault.html

-m

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
News link?

jmaxwell007 said:
you might be the only one that prefers present over the past attraction:lol:
quote]

Does anyone have a link to the article (if there was one) about how people complained about version 2.0 of JII in 1999? OR if someone could give me/us the story?

~heather
Former DTD WDWCP CM (2003-2004)

I never got to see the original which I'm a bit sad about but I do like the current attraction.

I have to say though that it's Figment that makes it for me, take him out and it would instantly drop to my least favourite ride.

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: Figment Rules!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

:D

Etenpenny

I thought that the ride needed a rehab bad when it first got one... and I still like the version that we have now......... but I think that the number of people that it draws is so extremly low that it wouldnt be far fetched for them to replace it all together one day

ErickainPA

I have a video of the original Figment that we took back in 1992 when it was my first trip to Florida. My parents went with me and the ride was so cute we thought. I went to FL many years in between, but got married in 2001 down in Disney. I had to refresh my mind if the ride was open or not at that time. I watched the video of it. It was not opened at the time, we saw the new sign up announcing the ride and I was disappointed to not be able to see it. Seeing reviews and watching the video, I am glad I didn't see it now. We will be down in Disney for Christmas and will definately hit the new ride
I have pictures of Dreamfinder standing outside with Figment on his arm, Dreamfinder was a nice touch to the ride.

Laura

SirGoofy said:
As the one of biggest JII v.1 fans here, I must disagree with you. Version 3 is much better than 2, but it doesn't compare to the original. The original had a spark(no pun intended), whereas this one is so dry and industrial. The original had big, beautiful sets. The new one has black curtains and blacklit signs as scenery at one point. Plus the ride is about 5 minutes shorter than the first. The new one just doesn't have the heart that pulls people in that the original did, which is why it is the faliure it is today.

What is version 2? I can't remember!!

Edit - ok nevermind I just saw the link and watched version 2 and it sure brought back memories. I remember I rode it in January 2001 when I went to Disney with my grandparents (my husband was deployed). I remember being completely ticked off that they had pretty much done away with my favorite characters - figment and dreamfinder, and I remember the ride being just plain awful. Then I remember riding it again in 2003 with my husband and not being nearly as mad and thinking the attraction wasn't half bad. I never understood why one year I hated it so much and a couple years later I didn't hate it anymore. I didn't realize till just now that there were actually 3 versions! That explains a lot!

Version 1 will always be the best though. I will never understand why they did what they did with that attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom