I know Im not the only "oldie" that still loves Disney..so....

Iteachwood

Original Poster
Here's my story. Im 56 and have been going to Disney World with my family ever since our honetmoon in 1985. I was like 30-31 my FIRST visit!. Up until then my older sister ,10 years older had been taking her family down since 1973. Every year she would ask me to go with them and I always laughed it off " why would I want to go to Disneyworld" I would say every year. Finally For our honeymoon my Sister actually convinced us to go to Disney and WALLAH!!!!! been going every year since....26 years in a row and counting ( 21 weeks to AKL!!!).....anyway I would like to hear from other 50-60 ish who luv Disney and when did you become a Disney FAN??????

zurgandfriend

As I have stated in the past I first went to Walt Disney World (WDW) in my late 40's on my honeymoon (my first thank you) after I retired from the army and got hooked. We have been back many times since then.

Maddog57

I am (gulp) 53. I still can't get accustom to stating that age. I have been a Disney Fan since I started to watch Disney's Wonderful World of Color on a Black and White TV. I distinctly remember Walt in front of the map of Florida telling the world that this is where WDW would be. My first visit to WDW was in 1975 and then my wife and I returned to the Polynesian for our Honeymoon in 1976. We then waited for our sons to be old enough so we didn't have to push them around in a stroller and returned in 1991. We have been at least 1 time each year since then and I can't wait to go again in September of this year.

Becky

My dad is 67. He avioded WDW until 1989 as he hates "amusement parks". One trip hooked him and he has gone over 100 times. He is a northerner not a local. He rides everything including Expadition Everest, Rock n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror etc. He hits the parks when they open and stays till they close (or later if eating, shopping etc.).

disney magic 06

I'm the same age as you and love Disney.

My first Disney visit was Disneyland in 1981with my husband, and I was slightly disappointed, it just didn't quite hit the magical spot, I've no idea why. I've never been back.

In 1992 when my children were 7 and 8 we decided they were old enough to appreciate a visit to Disney World, they (and I) loved it and always intended to return. Unfortunately for various reasons, mainly financial, this didn't happen until December 2005 with my daughter and friend, we were well and truly hooked and have been every year since.

9 weeks till Wilderness Lodge :sohappy:

dave&di

I'm not in my 50's but my first trip was when I was 31 three years ago! Have been back twice, and hope to still be going in my 50s!

Walt Disney1955

I'm 30 and have been going since I was 10. So yeah, I don't fit in with this thread. :wave:

However, my dad is 66. He first went to WDW in 1973 with his parents and one of his buddies when he was 28. They drove down to Florida and explored but one of the trips was Magic Kingdom. They loved it. My grandparents have since passed and while I was old enough to know my grandmother well, my grandpa died when I was two.

Apparently, according to my dad they loved the Country Bear Jamboree (they'd have been in their 60s at this time). Dad loves it too to this day as do I. I've always felt an attachment to that attraction, kind of a way to tie myself in with my grandpa.

Anyway I've seen pictures of their trip. My grandma somehow snapped a picture right inside Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. It's right at the end when you hit "hell" and there is a picture of a devil with a pitchfork. It is a really good shot.

Anyway, I took my wife two years ago when she just turned 25. She was skeptical but LOVED it! Now it is only assumed that when we start our family that our kids will grow up with WDW trips.

(By the way I will love it and defend it when I am 50, 60, 70 or 80)

cowanfamily

I am 40 and have been going since I was 16. Yes I have always and still do love the parks. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority on this board.

Mammymouse

I became a Disney Fan back in the late fifties. I watched all the Disney programs on TV in black and white and then in "living color" in 1966 when my folks got a color TV. I was a big Mousekateer and always watched the Wonderful World of Disney. By now you must have guessed my age - 62. And my hubby - age 67 - growing up did the same. Also in 1956 my grandparents took a cross country vacation (driving from RI) going to see the Grand Canyon, Knotts Berry Farm and the Sequoia Trees, and my most favorite of their stops was Disneyland. They took a lot of slides and I got to see the Park through them. I said to myself back then that if I ever got rich someday I was going to Disneyland, because to go there from RI did cost a lot of money. Disneyland was a real dream vacation to me, but I was doubtful I would ever get to go there.

Also I went to the Worlds Fair in New York (1964? maybe?) and saw the exhibits that Walt had designed for the Fair. My next experience, other than TV shows and movies with my children growing up in the 70's, was our first trip to Disneyworld in 1985 that was arranged by my sister-in-law and my parents, nephew, my 2 kids, me and hubby and we all went together. We had a great time! It was five days but a lot of plane changes, so we really only got 3 days at the Parks. And we stayed at the Hilton across from Downtown Disney, which was just some shops at the time and I think was called The Marketplace.

We all got hooked and after many more visits (I'll keep this brief-I can get long-winded) we ended up buying into DVC in 1997 at Boardwalk. When my daughter got married in 1999, after they went on a short trip to New Hampshire, the four of us went to Disneyworld for two weeks for the remainder of their honeymoon. Our granddaughter was born in 2004 and has been going to WDW ever since she was a year old. And then we all moved to Florida in 2006. So now we all are Annual Passholders living only 70 miles away, so we visit as often as possible - day trips, weekends, week long. I don't know if we qualify as certified Disney Freaks, but we are probably as close as you can get!

So - my hubby is 67 (68 in April) and I am 62 but when we are at Disney we are six years old again with our granddaughter. We go on everything, and her latest accomplishments are Tower of Terror and Space Mountain, so we are right there with her. We can walk the Parks all day and outdo the younger folks! I know eventually someday we will probably have to give in to the dreaded scooter :eek: , but not until we are about 80 or so :lol::ROFLOL:

graphite1326

I'm 54. My first trip was in 1978 and hated it. I thought it was boring. Remember there was only MK then. I never went again until I was married and our children were old enough to go (1996). My youngest was 6. I told my wife that she was going to be disappointed. What a huge difference. We have been going every other year since. My youngest is now 20.

Tater48

We made our first trip to WDW in 1984. I swore then that I would never go back. I think this had a lot to do with the couple that we went with. They really made for a very miserable first impression. Well, things change. I turned 50 about 11 months ago and in 12 days we are making our 17th trip to the world with another planned for May. Age is only a number.

jemlover

I'm 51 and DH is 53. We first went to WDW in 1985. We went 3 more times through 2002 with our son. I didn't really get hooked until our trip in 2007. I don't know what happened but now I don't want to vacation anywhere else. We went every year after except 2010 when finances forced a hiatus. We got a pin code this year and I recently booked our trip in October for our first Food and Wine Festival. :sohappy:

mickey's mamu

I must join this thread!

I am almost 59 and I am a certified WDW Nut. I made my first trip in 1984,
when I was 32. I went with my DH, DS 10, and DD 6 and we stayed off site
at the Holiday Inn. I had never experienced anything like it in my life. I
could barely sleep at night I was so excited to see what the next day held.
I vowed we would return and definitely stay on WDW property next time.

It took six years, but we did return and stayed at the Caribbean Beach in
1990. We have been an additional 8 times since then. Now we are able to
go every year and have started taking our grandchildren!

Whether my DH and I go alone or with children or grandchildren, each trip is special and just as magical as that first trip was! And it always leaves me wanting to go back just as soon as I can!

pintraderpayee

I am 40 and have been going since I was 16. Yes I have always and still do love the parks. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority on this board.
I feel the same way! I am 45 and have been a Disney World freak....I mean fan since Easter 2001. I have brought 300+ students and some of them later became cast members! Can't wait for this Easter break since it is my youngest child's senior year and we are attending Grad Nite 2011 at MK to round out our trip!

48 days until we are Orlando bound!:sohappy:

smk

My first trip was in 1978, spring break from college my sophmore year, and I was hooked right away. Next was 1985 with my husband, pregnant with our second child and that trip was just okay. I felt guilty leaving our little one at home, she was 2 at the time but I needed a getaway and we went for a quick trip. Next was in 1995 when we had three kids and they were all older, 9, 11 and 13. That was their frist trip and we have gone so many times since then I have lost count. They are all Disney freaks, and have gone several times without us along too, (paybacks are rough). Now we enjoy going and taking our time, going to the parks and relaxing at the resorts. It is my favorite place on earth, besides my home and I am fortunate to be married to a person who enjoys it as much as I do.

Susan Savia

I am in my 50's also and husband is 61. We've come every year for 28 years now. We've been AP holders most of those years. We will continue to go annually as long as we can. I remember the lst visit, and that was all it took to know we'd come back! We started out doing just four days, then went to five. Now we do 10 and sometimes think thats not enough! Our two grown kids have followed in our footsteps and love the parks as well. Just like most others on here, we count down the days...

Debbie

I'm 27---oops I mean 47, and I'm dying for my WDW fix! In the 80's and 90's, we'd go every year, sometimes twice. I haven't been in almost 6 years. I'm waiting on Prince Charming to take me away or to win the Lottery.
#5-- criteria for new man: Must have financial means to allow me to go to WDW at least once a year!

So the answer is no---you're not the only oldie to still love Disney! If you see this chick powerwalking past you down Main Street; you'll know I finally made it back! I'll be wearing a gold Saints jersey to mark the occasion!

GOT2SAMMIES

I'm 33:eek: so I guess you can consider me the Little Mermaid generation.... I have visited the parks many times since the first time I went with my grandparents... They took me for my 13th birthday... I will always remember that day... Since then I go when I can with my family... My son has the fever now which couldnt please me more...now my husband he complains they whole way down but when he gets there he always has a great time! I always cry when we see that sign overhead "Magic Kingdom" something inside me cries out"YES" we made it! I love everything Disney, the movies, the parks, all these cool website:wave:.... Heck Im known to watch a Disney movie by myself on a sat night.. I have no shame in my game!

GO Monarchs! CAA Champions and going to the Big Dance!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom