I hate the new Star Tours

PB Watermelon

Loved the original Star Tours. Loved Star Wars 2.0, thought it was an improvement and two scoops of fun. Looking forward to seeing the new updates from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

HonorableMention

I like Star Tours 2.0, but the addition of the new movies ruins it a little for me. Before, you could kind of understand why you were able to see prequel and OT planets at the same time. Now, it’s trying to be “Star Tours (but only episodes 7 and 8)”and it ruins the continuity that they had, which wasn’t much in the first place.

George Lucas on a Bench

I’ve only done the DL version once so don’t remember but there were definitely less AA droids in the queue in Florida plus the removal of the moving conveyer belt. Felt like the revamp gave them an opportunity to cut costs and IMO lessen show.

The old version had a droid junkyard after the bay. This fits the old movies because everytime you saw robots in each of the movies, it was in some sort of horrible setting such as the jawa's car, the Cloud City furnace and Jabba's dungeon. Droids flourished in the Prequels when the new version is supposed to take place, so they got that part right making it a sterile security checkpoint.

TROR

Original Poster
The old version had a droid junkyard after the bay. This fits the old movies because everytime you saw robots in each of the movies, it was in some sort of horrible setting such as the jawa's car, the Cloud City furnace and Jabba's dungeon. Droids flourished in the Prequels when the new version is supposed to take place, so they got that part right making it a sterile security checkpoint.

But the original already had a security checkpoint. Why not keep this instead? This extended queue even had so much more personality to it than the new one.

1517788331412.png

The Tokyo version also had its own baggage check before the revamp which looked pretty good imo. They definitely could've used this style as it feels more "Star Wars-y" to me.

1517788430591.png

D.Silentu

I have no idea why they bothered to redress the extended queue, it just needed to be freshened up a tad. Time seems to slow to a standstill in the dark void that replaced it.

D.Silentu

It can be argued that it has a more 80's aesthetic than what it replaced. Just a dark room with some blacklit planets painted on the walls, overloud music and a Star Tours logo that is stunningly bright.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I have no idea why they bothered to redress the extended queue, it just needed to be freshened up a tad. Time seems to slow to a standstill in the dark void that replaced it.

I wondered that to. Why make the effort to make it even more boring? I wish they could install a smaller version of the video screen in Tokyo's queue and run the video advertising joining the empire and other tour companies.

SuddenStorm

The way I see it: I wouldn't want my favorite movie to have a new ending every time, or my favorite book. I wouldn't want my favorite painting to have a different sky when I revisit it. Why would I want my favorite attractions to be any different?

I highly doubt any of the Choose Your Own Adventure books are destined to become classics. As a kid, they're a fun novelty when first discovered, but you quickly realize you're not getting anything substantial from them.

The only attraction that I think actually executes the "different every time, if only slightly" is Indiana Jones. 1 of three chambers, as well as thousands of potential ride sequences with the transport (although I never notice my transport doing anything different)

Professortango1

I have to agree. First, Rex was a much more expressive and enjoyable AA than C-3PO. Also, with the bad cartoony CGI on the pre-boarding video, it's pretty obvious we are never going to see the pilot droid. Couldn't they have built a puppet of him to make us think he's going to actually be our pilot? Maybe even some prototypes in the queue.

The randomized sequences feel just like that. Each light speed jumps ends abruptly in the middle of a scene instead of a slower discovery that took place in the original ride. There was a sense of "let's see where we are now...oh...oh no..oh NO!" where as this one is just "BAM! Look out!"

The timeline this is really weird too. We're in a time where Vader is still alive, but so is BB-8 and Finn and Boba Fett. And that new extended queue...Look, I love blacklight golf as much as the next guy, but c'mon.

PB Watermelon

I have to agree. First, Rex was a much more expressive and enjoyable AA than C-3PO. Also, with the bad cartoony CGI on the pre-boarding video, it's pretty obvious we are never going to see the pilot droid. Couldn't they have built a puppet of him to make us think he's going to actually be our pilot? Maybe even some prototypes in the queue.

The randomized sequences feel just like that. Each light speed jumps ends abruptly in the middle of a scene instead of a slower discovery that took place in the original ride. There was a sense of "let's see where we are now...oh...oh no..oh NO!" where as this one is just "BAM! Look out!"

The timeline this is really weird too. We're in a time where Vader is still alive, but so is BB-8 and Finn and Boba Fett. And that new extended queue...Look, I love blacklight golf as much as the next guy, but c'mon.

George Lucas laughed that off -- anachronisms like the Battle of Hoth taking place during Prequel events. He just thought it would be fun for audiences. First time I rode Star Tours 2.0, we visited (ha ha) Hoth and Naboo. I groaned a little inside to be taken to the much-derided Gungan world, only to be more than a bit wowed by the whole sequence.

Professortango1

The Naboo scene is awesome. The Prequels inspired some really good stuff, like the underwater monsters and the fighter's tail breaking through the windshield--the only really effective 3D thing.

I love that ending scene. So mad when I saw they changed it to the tail bending instead. As for inspirations, the Pod Racing sequence is okay, but the others seem kind of like bad arcade game cut scenes. I preferred the comet.

Phroobar

I love that ending scene. So mad when I saw they changed it to the tail bending instead. As for inspirations, the Pod Racing sequence is okay, but the others seem kind of like bad arcade game cut scenes. I preferred the comet.
Both endings are still there. It's random. You either get the tail breaking or bending. Same with seeing Chewbacca outside the Falcon.

George Lucas on a Bench

There were 20 bongos floating nearby and only one came back. Afterwards, the 40 people on the starspeeder had nothing to do but wait. Wait to die. Wait to live. Wait for a post-ride destination scene that would never come.

Professortango1

I will say, with the randomized rides, I was never disappointed on TOT or Star Tours 1.0. Now, with Guardians and Stat Tours 2.0, it's much more common for fans to be bummed that they didn't get the ride profile they wanted. Like that denying tail fin. I only had the crash once and loved it. When I saw I had the Naboo ending I was so excited. Then it bent instead. I felt robbed. First world problems, I know, but still an observation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom