I hate the new Star Tours

TROR

Original Poster
Six and a half years after it opened, I've finally decided I hate the new Star Tours. Not only does the majority of it take inspiration from the awful prequels instead of the original trilogy like the old one did, its biggest problem is, much like Mission Breakout, a lack of narrative in favor of references to things you're familiar with. Really I just want to discuss the queue for the original vs the new and then discuss the ride elements of the new.

In the 1987 Star Tours you start off in the large open room with C3PO and R2-D2 working on fixing the new Starpspeeder 3000. 3PO constantly complains about how awful these new transports are. At the same time, the large screen advertises tours to planets, specifically a heavy push for tours to Endor. You keep going on and you come across G2-9T who's repairing damaged astromech droids. Finally you come across the last show scene in the queue with G2-4T who goes on about how the new Starspeeder 3000s are no good and how Star Tours ordered defective RX pilots. This all accumulates into what will actually happen on the ride with Rex being defective, the Starspeeder being junk, and you're on a trip to the forest moon of Endor. It's all set up and paid off wonderfully.

But now let's look at the new queue. C-3PO and R2-D2 discuss the presence of spies which does tie into the ride "narrative," but other than that it's just random dialogue and advertisements for planet tours, none of which we're going on. In fact, we're not going on any specific tour, but I'll get to that later. Next we have G2-4T again, now all shiny like everything else in the new Star Tours instead of offering that lived in look that the original Star Tours and Star Wars film had, and he does absolutely nothing of value. His entire job is to go on a 20 minute loop clearing bags full of Disney related items instead of progressing the story forward. Hey, remember The Incredibles? How about Goofy? Here you go! To the right of G2-4T, though, there are defected RX pilots in boxes, which not only makes no sense in the context of the timeline, it has no payoff to the current ride and is just a reference to the far better previous version. Just to note, they also introduce a new type of pilot droid, the AC pilot droids, who don't even pilot the new Starspeeder 1000s. Lastly, back to G2-9T, now voiced by Patrick Warburton, who references Soarin' and churros. I do believe there's a line or two about spies again from him but it is hard to know for sure since, unlike the original, the full audio for the queue isn't online.

Ultimately, other than the lines about spies, there's nothing in the queue that is paid off in the ride itself. Instead of getting the story from waiting for 30 minutes in the queue like we should in any good ride, we have to sit through a five minute video full of CGI and slapstick droids right before we board the simulator. There is a good payoff with a joke regarding the new AC pilots, I admit, but I would much have preferred to just see them actually on the ride instead. I mean, they made all these new C-3PO AA's, why not some AC droid AA's instead? Anyways, after s̶i̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ standing through the video, we're finally onboard with C-3PO as our captain! Isn't it great? Because it's C-3PO! You know him! One problem right from the beginning is our flight has no destination in mind, not even a simple "Flight 1138 to Bespin you are clear for departure." It really makes it feel as if there's no motivation for us to be on this transport in the first place making it hard to feel like you're immersed in the world.

So the ride officially starts and everything from this point is just a mess and that's only partially because of the random sequences and 3D. Nothing matters or affects the next part of the ride. Imperials at the start of the ride send us off on our adventure when they're looking for this Rebel Spy, but even if they weren't there wouldn't we have gone off on an adventure anyway? When our ship is shot at or the thrusters don't work, it doesn't mean anything. Everything is so disconnected it makes absolutely no sense.

Lastly, there is one big problem, and it's my biggest problem with the ride, and that's the endless references to things you know on the ride itself. No matter what version you get, you're always going to see Darth Vader, the Millennium Falcon, Slave I, wookiees, gungans, or something you've seen before in the movies. With the exception of flying through the incomplete Death Star above Geonosis and the new ending for Batuu, everything on the ride is just stuff from the movies. Battle of Hoth, Battle of Coruscant, Battle of Naboo, Battle of Crait, Battle of Kashyyyk. Lots of battles in this ride. I know the original was guilty of this as well with having the Death Star trench run despite it being set after Return of the Jedi (please read the explanation on what that is, by the way, it's wonderful), but with the Death Star trench run, that's something every kid wanted to do, same with the Battle of Hoth, but other than Ki Adi Mundi, no one care about the droid attack on the wookiees. Even with the Death Star III, the original still had new ideas such as the Star Tours station and flying through comets, things we've never seen before in Star Wars. This new version offers nothing new which is its greatest sin.

Sorry this post is so long, I didn't plan for it to be, but basically the new Star Tours is a messy, uncreative, and rather boring attraction. Other than the Battle of Hoth, flying through the Death Star, and the ending with the Rebel fleet, there's nothing really good about the entire attraction that wasn't already there in the original version. I'm not saying the Star Tours shouldn't have been updated, but it could've been done so much better.

Also I'm sick of getting Tatooine and Naboo. I always get them. I went on the ride twice last time I was at the park and I got them both both times. I hate it.

No Name

If it consoles you I imagine the timeline will be straightened out by the end of this decade and the ride will be gone by the end of the next. It's not my favorite either but neither was the original.

D.Silentu

@TROR I truly enjoy these boards for passionate posts like yours. I had never before heard the backstory of the death star in the original ride. I presumed it was there because it was a Star Wars ride, and that being the long and short of its reason to exist. While I agree that the chronology is a loose canon, I do think the fun factor is there. The "spy" element is delightfully clever. However, pardon me for borrowing your soapbox but you did touch on a bother of mine.

I like the scanning droid in the queue, but I cringe at the Disney reference gags in that scene. Self referential, or meta humor, seems to be on the rise in the parks and for me it's leaving a bad taste. I recently rode Mission: Breakout and was amused to see the Matterhorn's former yeti. I was confused too, why was it just standing there? I then realized that it wasn't supposed to be a yeti, it was supposed to be a retired animatronic from Disneyland. In short, this is couterintuitive to that, "Here you leave today..." thesis that the park was built upon. These things ground me back in the real world and that is something I could do without.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

Are the rides even randomized right now? We rode it twice this past week and while our intro cHanged (kylo ren once, stormtrooper once), we got the force awakens scene and the last Jedi scene with the batuu end each time.

D.Silentu

The ride is locked into that sequence and will be for a few months to promote "The Last Jedi."

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I hated the “original” Star Tours 2, and I hate the newer version with the recent characters even more. I experienced the newest Star Tours a few weeks ago to please my friend and disliked almost the entire experience.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
While I enjoy the new Star Tours quite a bit I totally understand TROR’s frustration. It's basically a random clip show generator and the queue has been made much less visually interesting. Before you had all this grungy junk laying around and the cool basket system overhead. Now it's luggage and some TV screens.

I miss the feeling that we were actually going to go somewhere. The original Star Tours at least gave us a minute before something went wrong. Mission: Budget Overlay has the same issue. We’re supposed to be on a tour but we don’t see any of it because the ride is in a rush to bounce us in front of a big screen tv.

George Lucas on a Bench

Star Tours II felt like it came a decade too late when it was finally updated, but I still like it for the fact that it has some really neat prequel scenes. I just don't like the flight glasses thing. Makes it feel dated as well.

The old one had some impressive 2D visuals like crashing through the ice and the swinging thing in the bay that felt more dimensional than the 3D visuals.

bluerhythym

The way I see it: I wouldn't want my favorite movie to have a new ending every time, or my favorite book. I wouldn't want my favorite painting to have a different sky when I revisit it. Why would I want my favorite attractions to be any different?

I highly doubt any of the Choose Your Own Adventure books are destined to become classics. As a kid, they're a fun novelty when first discovered, but you quickly realize you're not getting anything substantial from them.

Curious Constance

The way I see it: I wouldn't want my favorite movie to have a new ending every time, or my favorite book. I wouldn't want my favorite painting to have a different sky when I revisit it. Why would I want my favorite attractions to be any different?

I highly doubt any of the Choose Your Own Adventure books are destined to become classics. As a kid, they're a fun novelty when first discovered, but you quickly realize you're not getting anything substantial from them.

Right, and instead of just being a really good book, you end up reading a quarter of a book that wasn't all the great.

I'm not saying there is no place for variety, but you need to make sure the ride is rock solid first.

Curious Constance

Another draw back to the varied rides, if you don't get to experience all of them or you only get to ride twice on your vacation, and end up with the same version both times, you end up feeling cheated. Instead of being like, "Hey, cool, I managed to ride Star Tours twice on my Disneyland trip.", you end up saying, "Oh man, I rode twice, and ended up with the exact same version each time."

disneyC97

I’ve only done the DL version once so don’t remember but there were definitely less AA droids in the queue in Florida plus the removal of the moving conveyer belt. Felt like the revamp gave them an opportunity to cut costs and IMO lessen show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom