I GOT TO RIDE PIRATES - Cast Preview

Magic Maker

Original Poster
Arrrrrrrr me mateys!

Most of you know that I am a DVC Cast Member at WDW. Well last minute, I was sent out here to Disneyland for two weeks to help the Disney Vacation Club Associates out here.
Last night was a surprise Cast Preview of Pirates of the Caribbean. First, I must say that I once again love the DL Pirates so much better than WDW. I hope that the WDW redo of Pirates helps upgrade the ride to the level of Disneyland.

I will put my review up in a few seconds.

Magic Maker

Original Poster
***************SPOILERS****************

I do not want to tell you all of the new effects, because then it just wouldn't be as much fun when you make it on the ride.
Overall, for someone who is not a big Disney buff the ride may not seem too different at all. But for those of us whoa re detail oriented it will be a great experience.
97% of the ride is the same. Every scene appears to be touched up, all the AA's move much more fluidly. The music in the beginning matches the movie which was a nice touch.
There was a really cool effect featuring Davy Jones, I pray to God we get the same effect in WDW. Jack Sparrow, excuse me CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow AAs are very, very life like. So much so it almost clashed with the classic AAs.
The opening battle scene now features Barbossa, I assume that since he was fully human that the ride tells the story of the pirates before the curse. Hard to tell if the story is meant to be before, after, or during the movies' story timeline.

Overall, great experience and very happy with how it turned out.

I also snuck in to see 15 minutes of PoTC 2 since they were testing the projector on the huge screen for the World Premiere.

I am so lucky.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Magic Maker said:
***************SPOILERS****************

I do not want to tell you all of the new effects, because then it just wouldn't be as much fun when you make it on the ride.
Overall, for someone who is not a big Disney buff the ride may not seem too different at all. But for those of us whoa re detail oriented it will be a great experience.
97% of the ride is the same. Every scene appears to be touched up, all the AA's move much more fluidly. The music in the beginning matches the movie which was a nice touch.
There was a really cool effect featuring Davy Jones, I pray to God we get the same effect in WDW. Jack Sparrow, excuse me CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow AAs are very, very life like. So much so it almost clashed with the classic AAs.
The opening battle scene now features Barbossa, I assume that since he was fully human that the ride tells the story of the pirates before the curse. Hard to tell if the story is meant to be before, after, or during the movies' story timeline.

Overall, great experience and very happy with how it turned out.

I also snuck in to see 15 minutes of PoTC 2 since they were testing the projector on the huge screen for the World Premiere.

I am so lucky.

Appreciate the review and congrats for getting to ride! I wouldn't exactly call any of your information "spoilers" though, because all of the information you've provided is actually less than what you can read about the ride elsewhere. Sorry, but you haven't really provided anything new that most of us didn't already know. For example, I'm assuming the "really cool effect featuring Davy Jones" that you are referring to is the mist projection that we've all read about already. Is there an additional effect featuring Davy Jones that you're referring to? Also the fact that Barbossa is in the opening battle scene is common knowledge too. Sorry. Glad you enjoyed it though!

dxwwf3

Magic Maker said:
97% of the ride is the same. Every scene appears to be touched up, all the AA's move much more fluidly.

Sounds GREAT to me. I wish our version would recieve more changes than DL's, but I know that's not happening and if we just get THIS, it would be a great change in my book.

Computer Magic

CHAPPS said:
Appreciate the review and congrats for getting to ride! I wouldn't exactly call any of your information "spoilers" though, because all of the information you've provided is actually less than what you can read about the ride elsewhere. Sorry, but you haven't really provided anything new that most of us didn't already know. For example, I'm assuming the "really cool effect featuring Davy Jones" that you are referring to is the mist projection that we've all read about already. Is there an additional effect featuring Davy Jones that you're referring to? Also the fact that Barbossa is in the opening battle scene is common knowledge too. Sorry. Glad you enjoyed it though!
You really had to point that out :rolleyes: .....Why not just let it go and thank the OP for providing information.

I'm glad you took the time to give us a nice report about your experience.

CHAPPS

Account Suspended
Computer Magic said:
You really had to point that out :rolleyes: .....Why not just let it go and thank the OP for providing information.

I'm glad you took the time to give us a nice report about your experience.

Sorry but it just seemed odd that he put "spoilers" in the heading and then proceeded to tell us....basically nothing. I was glad to hear that the OP liked it though! He seemed excited about the changes and that is definitely a good thing!:sohappy:

MKCP 1985

If a person hasn't been on the ride, any information about it is potentially a spoiler. Spoilers can also be found in "what you read about the ride elsewhere." It would be a mistake to assume that everyone clicking onto this thread has as much background information as you have, Chapps.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing the changes myself. I was fortunate to be at the Magic Kingdom during the last week the Pirates were open before closing for the rehab, and made sure to get a last go of it before Captain Jack comes to town. :)

Magic Maker

Original Poster
OK then you guys want real detailed spoilers then fine... :)

I am sorry. I have been working my butt off out here since I was sent out to help Disney Vacation Club out. I am exhausted. I am headed home tomorrow.

******************** REAL JUICY SPOILERS****************

- The background in the bayou is now a deep, deep purple backlighting effect
- The skull and bones over the big drop is now more regal looking with banners and swords.
- There was also a HUGE pile up of boats waiting to go down the drop, don't know if that is normal.
_ The Davy Jones effect is a smog projection effect. It appears as though your boat is entering another waterfall, with the image of Davy Jones callign us fools for daring to explore a pirate's curse. You go through the projection and if you turn around it looks as though he is looking at you menacingly.
- The battle scene seems more intense, more cannons, more action. There is a projections of two pirates dueling, their silouttes, to the right of the ship.
- The mayor dunking scene is the first spot for Jack. He is attempting to hide and he leans and peers back and forth, for a split moment he leans behind a dress form so it looks like he is wearing a dress. His movements and face are very detailed and real looking. The Jack AAs look as though he is a real person that is playing on the ride.
- In the next scene the drunk pirate that is talking to the cat and the woman in the barrel, is not trash talking Jack Sparrow and low and behold it is Jack who is peering out of the barrel.
- The rest of the ride is the same. Again the scene appear to be fresher and the AAs move better, the dirty foot pirate didn't seem to have an extremely dirty foot now, but maybe that's me.
- The final scene with the gun happy pirates and their treasure is now hom to Captain Jack sitting on the throne amidst treasure and rum. His movements are great, but to me his face did not look as good as the other 2 AAs, but it was a nice way to end the ride.

If I had more time I would go into some more detail but I must return to work.

MainSt1993

Magic Maker said:
- There was also a HUGE pile up of boats waiting to go down the drop, don't know if that is normal.

That's not normal. Must have been something up downstream. Thanks for the news! I can't wait to see it this Thursday!

MainSt1993

sillyspook13 said:
Slightly off topic.... How big are the drops on the ride, compared to WDW's version?

The first drop is pretty long - 50' I think. The second is much smaller, like WDW's. The drop is very utilitarian - you have to go underneath the railroad tracks to get beyond the berm where the main show building is. Same on Mansion. You actually board an elevator, and walk underground to the show building.

dxwwf3

sillyspook13 said:
That stinks..... If the big drop on Splash makes me sick I know I couldn't handle Pirates!:cry:

It's all about the angle. I haven't been on POTC at DL, but I would bet my life savings on that drop not having near the angle of a SM type of drop. Sort of how EE's drop may be 80 feet, but most people feel that it is less intense than the 52 foot drop on SM.

imagineer boy

dxwwf3 said:
It's all about the angle. I haven't been on POTC at DL, but I would bet my life savings on that drop not having near the angle of a SM type of drop. Sort of how EE's drop may be 80 feet, but most people feel that it is less intense than the 52 foot drop on SM.

Its no where near as bad as Splash's drop. The first drop is about the size of the one in WDW, and the second drop is about half as big.

LilDucky

sillyspook13 said:
Slightly off topic.... How big are the drops on the ride, compared to WDW's version?
Although it could technically be longer than the MK's, it feels just as long. The second one is even shorter, so I dont think you'll have any problems.

It is most definitely not as bad as Splash, and that's coming from someone who HATES drops. It's honestly not bad.

However, I got SOAKED from the first drop. Yes, soaked! :lol: I dont remember getting that wet at the MK pirates. I was in the first row on the one at DL, but I always do that at the MK, and still dont get as wet :lol:

MainSt1993

Just got back...

I just got back from a week in LA, and of course rode Pirates several times. TIP: When the line splits into two at the bridge, take the line to the right. The line to the left is much longer. It goes to the extended queue (which used to accomodate both lines back in the day, but the stinky Tarzan Treehouse mistake took too much room out of that space to accomodate two lines), whereas the line to the right does not. It shaves about 10 minutes off your wait. That said, Pirates is the most efficient ride in the park, and even when the line looks long it still moves super fast.

The new animatronics are amazing! Captain Sparrow looks totally human.

I don't get Davy Jones, and have no clue what he sez. Cool effect, but I prefer the old cave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom