I got a "fake" PIN discount in the mail

Hot Lava

Yesterday's mail had an envelope from Disney. Right on the front in large font, highlighted in yellow, is a PIN #. Open it up and it is just for free dining. Although it is for dates up through 12/22.

Makes me sad that Disney now is using this coveted discount to try to trick people now.

Mr_Incredible

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

Original Poster
Not a joke. B/c I thought that the PINs were supposed to be great discounts on the rooms. I know a lot of people love/need the DDP; but to me this appeared to be just the regular discount out there in disguise.

Disney has been doing this. I got a pin in email awhile back; same as the public discount.

I still consider this lacking, based on what I know about the PINs. So sorry if you are offended.

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

Original Poster
Disney HAS been sending out general discounts under the guise of its PIN system. Since this was only a DDP free offer, that is what I assumed. I would think that a PIN discount would be deep discounts on rooms. Maybe Disney is getting stingier with its PIN discounts as well.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

Not a joke. B/c I thought that the PINs were supposed to be great discounts on the rooms. I know a lot of people love/need the DDP; but to me this appeared to be just the regular discount out there in disguise.

Disney has been doing this. I got a pin in email awhile back; same as the public discount.

I still consider this lacking, based on what I know about the PINs. So sorry if you are offended.
I think the point we are trying to get across is a PIN code is considered any special offer for something that's not available to the general public. Whether you can use it is a different matter. However, if you received a PIN for "free dining" up until 12/22, you have been offered something that's not available to the public at this time. In other words, Disney is offering you a discount that it's not offering me. That very much is a PIN.

BTW, "free dining" generally is considered a better discount than "room only" discounts. "Free dining" saves more money if you intend to use the DDP.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Last time I checked...free dining is a very common PIN option to receive. In fact, the last PIN I got and used (2010) was a free dining PIN. I was grateful for it since my dates missed all of the general public discounts. As for the value...it depends on your family size and dining styles. For us, room discounts are the better value since our dining preferences don't map over well to DDP provisions, but I know plenty of people with older kids who find a lot of value in free dining and would be green with envy over your PIN.

Soooooo...nothing fake about this.

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

Original Poster
BTW, "free dining" generally is considered a better discount than "room only" discounts. "Free dining" saves more money if you intend to use the DDP.

It is considered a better discount to some people. And I am not one of them. For me, at this time, a 30 or 40% room discount would be far better.

And I am fully understanding of what the PINs mean - or used to mean. But the fact that Disney has been sending out PINs for general discounts IS my point. I just happen to have been mistaken in this circumstance. I have now said this over and over and there has been other posts regarding the "fake" PINs. I and others have received these "fake" PINs. Just b/c I happen to have been incorrect in this particular circumstance, do not assume that what I have stated is completely incorrect. Or go ahead and do so - whatever.

Upvote 0

ParentsOf4

And I am fully understanding of what the PINs mean - or used to mean. But the fact that Disney has been sending out PINs for general discounts IS my point. I just happen to have been mistaken in this circumstance. I have now said this over and over and there has been other posts regarding the "fake" PINs. I and others have received these "fake" PINs.
Yes, I have received a few "fake" PINs; PINs for discounts that were exactly the same as what was offered to the general public. My guess is Disney does this as a form of advertising, sort of "By the way, we're offering a discount." But rather than simply treat it as "look at what we're offering" they try to fool you into thinking you're receiving something special. It irritates me each time I receive of of those.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Yes, I have received a few "fake" PINs; PINs for discounts that were exactly the same as what was offered to the general public. My guess is Disney does this as a form of advertising, sort of "By the way, we're offering a discount." But rather than simply treat it as "look at what we're offering" they try to fool you into thinking you're receiving something special. It irritates me each time I receive of of those.

Now those ... those ... I DESPISE! :mad: I haven't gotten as many over the last 6 months or so, but my poor dad gets a new one each week + the FL res stuff...so, I get to go through them for him just to confirm it's nothing. Annoying.

Upvote 0

DisneyWall-E

A PIN is a PIN. It means the same thing it always has. A discount of any type that is not released to the general public yet. Just because you don't want it does not mean it is "fake". Wish I could get that Free dinning PIN. I guess by your reasoning any one who months ago got a PIN for 30% off room rates this summer got a "fake" PIN.

Upvote 0

piazza

I have been waiting to receive that exact PIN......yet I am left wanting. Its my only hope of a second trip this year, and even if you don't normally get DDP you still have to pay for food while you are there. This way you would save 100% of your food cost especially if you use quick service plan....not too shabby of a deal!

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

Original Poster
A PIN is a PIN. It means the same thing it always has. A discount of any type that is not released to the general public yet. Just because you don't want it does not mean it is "fake". Wish I could get that Free dinning PIN. I guess by your reasoning any one who months ago got a PIN for 30% off room rates this summer got a "fake" PIN.
Please actually read the posts re: Disney's current use of PINs. A PIN is no guarantee that it is a discount unavailable to the general public - NOT ANYMORE. I do not know how this could be more clear. As to your last sentence, please do not apply your inability or unwillingness to follow the rules of logic to me.

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

Original Poster
For those of you so convinced that I posted this to be snarky or nasty:

MEA CULPA, MEA CULPA, MEA MAXIMA CULPA!!

Is that enough contrition?

I made a mistake that this was yet another of Disney's fake PINs. They are out there and I have already received several.

I don't share the love of the free DDP as do so many of you. It doesn't work for me, or a lot of people. I don't know why people get so upset about those of us who do not see the free DDP as the same deal that you do.

If you believe I am ungrateful, I guess you can pray to the Disney gods that I never receive any more PINs, if that helps you feel better. Perhaps you can feel grateful your trip is not being taken under the circumstances mine is. I am happy to be going at all, and hoping all members of my party are able to make it then as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom