I Don't Understand...

Scar Junior

well said.

that comparison can be made for many things. especially the majority of my school who sit on their butts and rip on the people who risk their lives every day, then complain that those people pay less for school.

Or those people who complain the student athletes get scholarships...

Life is different for everyone.

EDIT: "It's like those people who complain that student athletes pay less and get benefits, even though they promote the school on regional and national television every week."

My parents have never worked in the service industry and tip 18-25%. Only one have I seen them tip 10%. There is no universal rule about people and the way they tip. I have worked in the industry and have tipped nothing when I recieved no drink-refills and only saw my server twice: when ordering and receiving the bill.

I tend to feel that servers complain too much. But that's just me and my experience working at two restaurants and having server friends.

Scar Junior

Am I going too far with saying this:

They say "those who can't... teach"
I say, "those who can't... wait tables"

Actually I like servers. They're usually cute! :kiss:

When we went to WDW in May, we were on the Dining Plan.. It was quite nice being on the plan and we never had CM's "suggesting" we get other, more expensive things.. We had no problem dropping another $5-10 (or more) for a tip on our dining plan meals if the server was great.. If they just did their job, we let Disney do the tipping...

Vernonpush

We always tip a little extra (over 20%) when the wait staff is part of the "show", like the 50's Primetime Cafe or Whispering Canyon. We also tip more to those who smile and chat with us (we enjoy talking to waiters at World Showcase about their homelands,etc.) We have never used the DDP but have used the Disney Dining Experience (20% dicount card), this made figuring tips very easy. Price before discount = price after discount with 20%tip, lol.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Pumbas Nakasak said:
either that are they dont feel pressured into following a herd mentality. Do you tip cleaners?

Perhaps everyone should do some time in the military then they wouldnt whine so much at the horrors of not receiving a tip.

I understand what you are saying.

While military service is indeed a very noble profession, it hardly can be compared to the service industry.

My point was not that the servers should be pitied because they make less than a reasonable sum and should be given a handout. But that people should understand the reality of the situation, and not bite the hand that feeds it (so to speak.)

And if all else fails, for those who refuse to tip.....
there's always fast food.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
unkadug said:
And if all else fails, for those who refuse to tip.....
there's always fast food.

see that’s the thing, if most people tip in the region that is claimed on here, servers at Disney’s restaurants must be on wages akin to people with professional qualifications, which is nice, but what about all the other CMs working at counter service outlets and janitorial?

Besides whether I’m a good tipper or not, its not something Id come on a board and bum about.

amykissangel

Original Poster
Gravydeen said:
Are you still supposed to tip at those rates for a character meal or do you consider the entertainment value as non tippable(if that is a word)? When my family of five goes to Cinderella's Table and spends $160, or whatever it is, a 15% tip will be $24, which seems sort of high for a tip. What do you think?

I know this is a little old, but I was going through old posts and had to answer this one:

It doesn't matter how expensive of a restaurant you go to. Hoop de Do Revue, Cinderella's Table, Ruth Criss (sp?) Steakhouse, or Perkins. You tip based on the service you receive.

I completely agree with Epcot_Rocks when he states:

Less than Ideal Service: 10% (If you leave them nothing, and they tip out the busser, bartender, and host(ess), they have actually paid you to eat there)

Fair Service: 15%
Good Service: 20%
Excellent, or Above Average Service: 20% and above

If someone's bill is $200, and they throw a $20 on the table, thinking they're doing the server a favor, AND they were given good service...that's an insult.

If your bill was $200, AND your service was good, here's what happened:

A host(ess) seated you and will expect to be tipped out at the end of the night.

Your waiter/tress got you drinks, appetizers, main course, desserts, refills, chatted with you, got you extra salad, bread, dressing, etc.

When they got your drinks, the drinks came from a bartender who expects to be tipped out.

When your food is bagged up and table is cleared, that is done by a busser, who expects to be tipped out at the end of the night.

So if you tipped them $20, and they tipped out:
The busser
The bartender
The hostess....

You haven't even left them 10% anymore, AND they did a good job. If this is classy restaurant, and they worked from, say, 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. with a four table section, they might only have 15 tables all night.

I know how everyone feels - if the restaurant would just PAY the server a decent wage, then you don't have to worry about a tip.

True.

But restaurants in the US (or most) DON'T. If everyone in this country worked for ONE day in the service industry, as well as the retail industry, I believe many people would feel differently.

OK, done with my rant. Enjoy your afternoon!

BTW, anyone living near Green Bay, WI, our battered women's shelter is hosting a small charity event on Lombardi Ave. tomorrow, if you want to come!:wave:

kachow

I think the assumption about wealthy people getting the dining plan is probably not a certainty. I think the plan was enacted to draw people who weren't eating on property as much, or at the nicer places, but that doesn't mean wealthy people wouldn't use it too.

That said, regarding tipping, I actually had a conversation recently with a server at a fairly upscale restaurant, who said the idea that tipping standards have increased from 15% to 20% is incorrect. This is a guideline, obviously, but he said 15% should be looked at as the minimum, meaning if you go below that you are stiffing the server, and if the service was exceptional, increase to 20% (or whatever you feel like).

I think Disney probably figured 18% was a good medium point, since many people might think an automatic 20% was too much. This way it leaves a little lee-way for someone to throw down some additional cash if they feel like it.

The cat

I haven't been following this all the way through but from what I have read (and coming from the UK), it strikes me as kind of sad. Shouldn't waiters/waitresses/servers be paid proper wages by their employers? It seems to me to be patronising that servers should have to be assessed according to their performance by the diners. If I feel the chef has not 'performed' do I retain a proprtion of the menu bill? If the decor is not to my liking should I pay less? Or pay more if the fireworks are particularly good from the vantage point of the California Grill? I'd personally feel better knowing that all servers received a proper remuneration and any tip I felt was due were to be in addition and to be divided amongst everybody involved in the delivery of the meal. But quite frankly it shouldn't be necessary. In my line of work I am paid for what I do in terms of a salary ; not for my, - perceived and subjective - , performance on a day by day basis, so should waiters etc be paid according to the whim of diners? Maybe this is a cultural thing.

slappy magoo

I never waited tables, but I delivered pizzas working my way through college. I went to plenty of 7-figure houses who would either give me no tip, or just the change on the last dollar, meaning if the bill was $10.85, they'd give me $11 and tell me I could keep the change. I was using my own car, paying to keep it up and running and fueled out of my own money. Some nights, the tips were so poor you'd get sick to your stomach, just imagining all the bills you wouldn't be able to pay that week.

The amount of money a person has, or seems to have, does not necessarily determine what kind of tip he or she will leave.

It is unfortunate that wait staffs in America have to rely on tips to supplement their sub-minimum wage, but it is. However, I do believe that it should also inspire a server to be that much more vigilant in providing good service, instead of being TOO Zen about it: "I'll either get a tip, or I won't, que sera sera" was not my mindset.

I honestly don't know how servers are paid in WDW. But from what I understand, the employer is supposed to guarantee that the server get at least minimum wage at the end of their shift if they didn't get tips. If your tips don't bring your salary up to that, the employer has to compensate you.

Maybe someone should ask Mr. Pink from Reservior Dogs his opinion.

prberk

SteveUK said:
Coming from the UK, I find the concept of having an 'obligation' to tip slightly strange. Here in the UK, if I receive very good service I will leave a tip, in such a case 10-15% would be considered quite generous. If the service is not very good, then we have no issue with simply not leaving any tip. There is no problem with not leaving a tip, because the staff are being paid to provide a service. I'm not sure how it works in the US, but here the tips that such staff receive are a bonus for going the extra mile, not an expectation for simply doing their job.

I know that in America, the expection has grown that everyone deserves a tip, but I have to agree with SteveUK here. This view is refreshing. And it would be good if we were able to go back to it: Tip is just that, a TIP (a gratuity, something extra); and that good service got one, but great service got an exceptional one, period.

If you get particularly bad service, you should not be expected to leave a tip.

In fact, I was told at one point in my life, that a penny could make the difference:

- If you got great service, you should place a penny on top of your already generous tip, and ....

- If you got crappy service, you should simply leave a penny by itself (which says, "Yes I remembered the tip; no you don't get one!") :lookaroun

Normally, I do leave a good (15%+) tip. I just wish it were not so "expected" these days.

Paul

Dukeblue1016

15% is the general rule... I always leave 20% only because its usually (for me and my girlfriend) only the difference of a couple bucks... which brings me to my next question... how is 15% considered cheap... and 20% is considered "you know how to treat a server" On $40 a day... if you pay that for a meal... 15% is 6 bucks... where 20% is 8 bucks... WOW... I just don't see how $2 less makes you cheap opposed to spending that 2 more dollars and being "wealthy"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom