I don't need the fries

disneydad04

Original Poster
Stopped by the American Pavilion last week for a bite to eat and asked for cheeseburger with no fries or apples - just the sandwich. Cast member informed me that I have to take the fries/apples. I told her I didn't want them but she said they don't sell the sandwich without fries. I can order it but they will charge for the fries even if I don't get them. Is this a change in policy? I have been buying lunch without fries for years. Any thoughts on this?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Was this ever a thing? Sorry but it sounds perfectly reasonable to me. They're legally obligated to give you what you ordered. If it's a meal, you pay for the meal regardless of you wanting the french fries or not. The same would apply to any quick service/fast food venue. Take the fast food burger, for example. Asking to have pickles and onions removed from a burger wouldn't make the burger any cheaper in price.

You might have been able to substitute but I don't think it's reasonable to expect a price drop simply because you don't want fries with your meal. Wanting just a burger isn't unreasonable though. It's just not how it works. It's a packaged deal.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It's just not how it works. It's a packaged deal.
It's not. You can almost always get just the entree for a couple of dollars cheaper. One of three things happened:

1. A misinformed cast member
  2. Something unique about that one QSR where the normal process doesn't apply
  3. A change in policy

A good example is turkey legs, which are listed on most menus as a meal with chips. You can always get the turkey leg alone for a lower price than what's posted.

correcaminos

It's not. You can almost always get just the entree for a couple of dollars cheaper. One of three things happened:

1. A misinformed cast member
  2. Something unique about that one QSR where the normal process doesn't apply
  3. A change in policy

A good example is turkey legs, which are listed on most menus as a meal with chips. You can always get the turkey leg alone for a lower price than what's posted.
Agreed! I personally haven't run across this but if I want the adult menu item, I never want the sides so I opt not to have them. Though apples are better than the previous default I skipped. Still it's either new, a CM didn't know how to, or something odd about QS there. Though I know I got the sandwich only in the past there (but it's been a few years)

Dad 2 M & M

Stopped by the American Pavilion last week for a bite to eat and asked for cheeseburger with no fries or apples - just the sandwich. Cast member informed me that I have to take the fries/apples. I told her I didn't want them but she said they don't sell the sandwich without fries. I can order it but they will charge for the fries even if I don't get them. Is this a change in policy? I have been buying lunch without fries for years. Any thoughts on this?
I'd lean to CM error or being misinformed. I will say. however, Disney does not seem to credit as much nowadays when asking for no fires. In the past two weeks we ordered the Mojo burger at Electric Umbrella, with no fries. They credited only $1.50. The Comobo was $13.49, and it was $11.99 for just the burger. The credit wasn't really enough, and we were tempted to just pay the $13.49.....we opted not to as the fries there, like almost everywhere on property are lousy. Only decent QS fries are at Y & Y CS, and the Dinner Steak fries at ABC.....
And at Flame Tree, always ask for double beans and no cole slaw. We do the opposite...double slaw and no beans.....
we do the opposite....no beans and double slaw

mm52200

Chances are the cast member wasn’t aware of the sandwich only button on the register, unless for some reason that location doesn’t have that anymore maybe???

Club Cooloholic

Was this ever a thing? Sorry but it sounds perfectly reasonable to me. They're legally obligated to give you what you ordered. If it's a meal, you pay for the meal regardless of you wanting the french fries or not. The same would apply to any quick service/fast food venue. Take the fast food burger, for example. Asking to have pickles and onions removed from a burger wouldn't make the burger any cheaper in price.

You might have been able to substitute but I don't think it's reasonable to expect a price drop simply because you don't want fries with your meal. Wanting just a burger isn't unreasonable though. It's just not how it works. It's a packaged deal.
He didn't say he ordered a meal. Have always been able to just order the sandwich either at a QS in Disney or McDonalds. Hope WDW has not changed policy.

Phonedave

I'd lean to CM error or being misinformed. I will say. however, Disney does not seem to credit as much nowadays when asking for no fires. In the past two weeks we ordered the Mojo burger at Electric Umbrella, with no fries. They credited only $1.50. The Comobo was $13.49, and it was $11.99 for just the burger. The credit wasn't really enough, and we were tempted to just pay the $13.49.....we opted not to as the fries there, like almost everywhere on property are lousy. Only decent QS fries are at Y & Y CS, and the Dinner Steak fries at ABC.....
we do the opposite....no beans and double slaw

They may be "re-configuring" things again. Some people try to game the system by ordering certain things to come up with a cheaper alternative, and then when WDW catches on, they change the pricing to prevent it.

Years ago you used to be able to get a plain hamburger bun for $1. Sometimes people would order one because they liked bread. other times a kid wanted a cheese sandwich, so a parent could order a bun for a $1 an a slice of cheese for like 50 cents. Then the internet caught on, and all of the "tips" sties started saying you could go to Pecos Bill's order a double cheeseburger with fries, and a extra bun, then make it into two cheeseburgers, and still get to load them down with fixings. Suddenly WDW was selling tons of single buns. What had been an occasional thing to accommodate corner cases became a cost cutting tip. To combat it, the hiked up the price of the buns to a point where the savings were not there. Kind ruined it for the kids who wanted a cheese sandwich

Dad 2 M & M

They may be "re-configuring" things again. Some people try to game the system by ordering certain things to come up with a cheaper alternative, and then when WDW catches on, they change the pricing to prevent it.

Years ago you used to be able to get a plain hamburger bun for $1. Sometimes people would order one because they liked bread. other times a kid wanted a cheese sandwich, so a parent could order a bun for a $1 an a slice of cheese for like 50 cents. Then the internet caught on, and all of the "tips" sties started saying you could go to Pecos Bill's order a double cheeseburger with fries, and a extra bun, then make it into two cheeseburgers, and still get to load them down with fixings. Suddenly WDW was selling tons of single buns. What had been an occasional thing to accommodate corner cases became a cost cutting tip. To combat it, the hiked up the price of the buns to a point where the savings were not there. Kind ruined it for the kids who wanted a cheese sandwich
I remember those tips and also recall they were from or consolidated on the same page....it also included the PB & J sandwich for the cost of the bread from food court breakfast items.....with the peanut butter and jelly being taken as condiments

Hockey89

Reading this board you know for a fact people would do this and say that it was ok...Just ruins it for everybody...

Hockey89

Also, although I love french fries almost as much as air, I don’t eat them anymore and here is why:

Yeah, having French fries two times a week or more will probably have huge impacts... Having them a few times a year is not going to kill you...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom