I don't like this CoP rumor. . .

General Grizz

Original Poster
From Jim Hill:

QUOTE:
My sources inside of WDI are telling me that we should all consider these "Buzz Lightyear" -themed Halloween decorations to be sort of a coming attraction. Meaning that "Toy Story" 's little green men will mostly likely be moving into Tomorrowland's theater-go-round building -- offering WDW visitors flying saucer driving lessons -- sometime in late 2007 / early 2008.

Photograph at the bottom of this new article: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1270

==========================================

We shall see. :brick:

General Grizz

Original Poster
Heh, actually, a LOT of what I've read on Jim Hill has been very true. (Rumors regarding raft ride, project gemini, horizons show building in M:S). . .

Anyway, just thought it was worth pointing out.

DisneyFan 2000

General Grizz said:
Heh, actually, a LOT of what I've read on Jim Hill has been very true. (Rumors regarding raft ride, project gemini, horizons show building in M:S). . .

Anyway, just thought it was worth pointing out.

And then we had the Pirates park, a Pocahontas Splash Mountain for DLP, a renewed Swiss Treehouse with Jack Sparrow for DLP.. :rolleyes:

dxwwf3

This had better be a rumor and only a rumor. Lose a classic attraction for the lowest form of amusement park entertainment in history? Let's all hope not.

Lauriebar

My biggest question would be, why would they choose to replace CoP with another attraction based on Toy Story(Buzz Lightyear)? Right next door to Buzz's Spin?

tigsmom

General Grizz said:
From Jim Hill:

QUOTE:
My sources inside of WDI are telling me that we should all consider these "Buzz Lightyear" -themed Halloween decorations to be sort of a coming attraction. Meaning that "Toy Story" 's little green men will mostly likely be moving into Tomorrowland's theater-go-round building -- offering WDW visitors flying saucer driving lessons -- sometime in late 2007 / early 2008.

Photograph at the bottom of this new article: http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1270

==========================================

We shall see. :brick:

Grizz, you are no longer my favorite bear! :(

PLEASE do not close the CoP...EVER!

ogryn

Lauriebar said:
My biggest question would be, why would they choose to replace CoP with another attraction based on Toy Story(Buzz Lightyear)? Right next door to Buzz's Spin?

Same way as DCA's is getting Monsters Inc and The Incredibles in Hollywood I guess (see the same JH article)

ralz28

Bring it on, I know everyone here hates change, but it would be an improvement that could be open year round and get people on the ride.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Rumors of some sort of flying saucer attraction have been floating around for 3-4 years at least. They seem to waffle back and forth on being located either in the TimeKeeper theater, or or CoP locations. Many believe that the TK theater would be a lot less expensive to renovate and the CircleVision screens could be integrated to create the space environment for such an attraction.

I've even seen speculation that this segment from the Christmas Parade show is an early prototype of the ride vehicle.

imagineer boy

ralz28 said:
Bring it on, I know everyone here hates change, but it would be an improvement that could be open year round and get people on the ride.

We do not hate change. Change is good, but sometimes it can be bad. Adding another cartoon ride in Tomorrowland will ruin the theme and you can't have two Buzz Lightyear attractions in one land, let alone one park. Grizz, if this ever comes true, we will have to take some VERY seriouse action. We can't just sit around do nothing about it.

General Grizz

Original Poster
ralz28 said:
Now, I don't think that "everyone here hates change" is true at all. Many here feel that Carousel of Progress is one of the Disney attractions that should always remain in one of the parks, like Pirates. (Heck, CoP was the only attraction Walt requested stay in his parks!) It's not that I want CoP to gather dust as a museum; I'd like to see the latest technology and showmanship brought to the attraction.

That being said, people are "anti-change" when they feel things are regressing. Who knows - an example can include the Diamond Horseshoe Revue being converted into a Meet and Greet, perhaps Stitch's Great Escape - perhaps -, and perhaps a good example, the Journey into Imagination with Figment. But many celebrate GOOD change. I've seen a lot of good response to the second-newest Magic Kingdom attraction, Mickey's Philharmagic.

Bumper cars are already at Disney Quest. Your local fair. Losing a classic Disney story (that actually FITS into Tomorrowland) and replacing it with a few thrilling ride vehicles that can be ditched for the next-best thing? Please!

egionet

Oh gosh, I really hope this isn't true. Now, I like Toy Story and all, but don't replace CoP. A lot of people are going to be upset, including me. Talk about ruining Walt Disney World by removing one of Walt Disney's creations. It would be like removing Small World! I hope it's just a rumor and nothing more!

General Grizz

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
Grizz, you are no longer my favorite bear! :(

PLEASE do not close the CoP...EVER!
Sorry, it certainly isn't MY decision!

Thank you, imagineerboy. If something like this goes into the planning stages, I'm sure Disney will meet a lot of angry visitors. www.D-Troops.com will at least promote letter-writing.

ogryn

donsullivan said:
I've even seen speculation that this segment from the Christmas Parade show is an early prototype of the ride vehicle.

Isn't that like the Aquatopia vehicles?

Moustronaut

ogryn said:
Isn't that like the Aquatopia vehicles?

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic. I think it's a sample of the ride vehicle tech used in Tokyo's Pooh ride and Aquatopia. It makes sense that WDI is looking for a home for that ride tech somewhere in Florida. But for that to really shine you'ld need a much larger area than either TK or CoP currently has.

You'ld need something on the scale of... maybe... the 20K lagoon.

Ooooo new rumor started here. :lol:

Jerm

DisneyFan 2000 said:
And then we had the Pirates park, a Pocahontas Splash Mountain for DLP, a renewed Swiss Treehouse with Jack Sparrow for DLP.. :rolleyes:

I don't understand the hate for Jim Hill. He is one of the main people that give us rumors to talk about on here and his record is not bad. You listed ideas that he even said were "blue sky projects" or "in the planning stages." While Jim has never been dead on he has given more interesting stories then any other web site IMHO. While he did disagree the Grizz he stated his facts for the things and offered ideas on the same subject.

I have been a fan of Jim for as long as i can recall, but I don't read all his stories and say "oh my god they can't do that" and bash him. He is just passing along info that he gets from people he knows. I do know that he will not print a story unless he has, I believe, 3 different sources back up the info. I don't want to see CoP go but in the end it is not ours call nor is it Jim Hill's or Al Lutz's fault. They just report info they get as 2 of the leading Disney info/rumor fan sites.

I think we have learned one thing over these past few years it is Disney does what it thinks best for the parks, not for the die hard Disney fans. We have been screaming and yelling about balloons for how many months now, when we should really be screaming about a clone of a "ok" at best attraction from DCA of all places being dropped into The Land. We can not win every fight, hell if you look at our (Disney geeks of the world) track record we have not really won any, but we have to keep supporting everyone that helps us along the way. Jim Hill, Al Lutz, and Grizz are 3 names that seem to be on the top of the list of people who give us info about the fights we go after.

J

P.S.-- I don't want to hear anyone say anything about "we saved" Great Moments with Mr.. Lincoln. Because that was way before the internet and the world was a much smaller place.

DONE WITH RANT

GenerationX

General Grizz said:
If something like this goes into the planning stages, I'm sure Disney will meet a lot of angry visitors.
I guess it depends on how you define "a lot". Does your average park visitor really care about CoP's fate (or almost any single attraction's fate, for that matter)? I believe your average park visitor, first and foremost, wants to be entertained. And CoP, while it has its quaint, endearing qualities, is not dazzling and represents one small piece of an enormous entertainment complex. Outside of this board (I don't read other Disney boards), I have not heard anyone even mention this attraction, and I get into WDW discussions with friends, relatives, and co-workers all the time.

General Grizz

Original Poster
Certainly, many guests don't care for Carousel of Progress. But I know there are a lot of fans (sorry, not the BEST use of the word 'visitor') who will speak out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom