I don't know what to do!!! Poly or WL???

I'm getting ready to book my WDW trip for next year since Free Dining is getting ready to end.
I don't know if I want to stay at the Poly or Wilderness Lodge. Money is not really a factor in the decision. I am going to stay in the cheapest room available no matter which resort I choose. There is approximately $150 difference a night between the two. We won't spend much time at the resort. We want to do a character breakfast at Ohana's at least once but I know that can be done whether I stay at the Poly or somewhere else. We won't have any kids with us (even though I feel like a kid when I'm at Disney and I love Stitch). We have never stayed at either resort. My dream vacation is to go to Hawaii but I have a HUGE fear of flying so I figure the Poly will have to do :)
I LOVE the idea of the monorail going right to the Poly. This would be great for me in the mornings so I can get to the park quickly instead of stopping at 2 or 3 other places first. Same thing goes for the evenings. I typically go to the park from open to close (and I usually park hop too). When I'm exhausted at the end of the day I don't want to possibly get stuck standing on the bus trying to hold myself up. I know the same thing can happen on a monorail too but at least they go a lot faster.
The BIGGEST factors in my decision are cleanliness and security. Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Which was cleaner? Which resort did you feel the safest at? Is there anything I'm missing when trying to make my decision?
Please help! I'm driving my husband crazy trying to decide and he's no help since he doesn't care which resort we stay at. Thank you!!!

flavious27

I'm getting ready to book my WDW trip for next year since Free Dining is getting ready to end.
I don't know if I want to stay at the Poly or Wilderness Lodge. Money is not really a factor in the decision. I am going to stay in the cheapest room available no matter which resort I choose. There is approximately $150 difference a night between the two. We won't spend much time at the resort. We want to do a character breakfast at Ohana's at least once but I know that can be done whether I stay at the Poly or somewhere else. We won't have any kids with us (even though I feel like a kid when I'm at Disney and I love Stitch). We have never stayed at either resort. My dream vacation is to go to Hawaii but I have a HUGE fear of flying so I figure the Poly will have to do :)
I LOVE the idea of the monorail going right to the Poly. This would be great for me in the mornings so I can get to the park quickly instead of stopping at 2 or 3 other places first. Same thing goes for the evenings. I typically go to the park from open to close (and I usually park hop too). When I'm exhausted at the end of the day I don't want to possibly get stuck standing on the bus trying to hold myself up. I know the same thing can happen on a monorail too but at least they go a lot faster.
The BIGGEST factors in my decision are cleanliness and security. Has anyone stayed at both resorts? Which was cleaner? Which resort did you feel the safest at? Is there anything I'm missing when trying to make my decision?
Please help! I'm driving my husband crazy trying to decide and he's no help since he doesn't care which resort we stay at. Thank you!!!

Well WL has a boat that takes you from bay lake to the front of MK, it is pretty cool.

If you are asking about security, poly is within a walk from the TTC; WL is tucked away a little bit.

When are you going, this time of year is nice at WL with the holiday decorations up. Poly is nice if it is warm and you can walk along 7 seas lagoon.

Upvote 0

Mick G.

You have to take buses from the Poly to AK, DHS, DTD, water parks, etc.

Very true. I should have noted that we spend most of our park time at MK and Epcot, and little at DHS, AK, DTD. Haven't been to a water park in years. So if any of these are your faves, the Poly won't offer much transportation advantage. I guess I'm thinking back to visits to the WL for lunch, and the really long wait for the bus. And for me, the monorail is one of my favorite attractions at WDW.

Mick

Upvote 0

CrazyForDisney

Original Poster
We will be there near the end of September 2011. My mind was set on the Poly but I recently read the following comment someone left on tripadvisor.com so now I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

"This was our 3rd trip to DW --first was in 8/2008 and I guess I was too thrilled with the landscaping of the PH to notice what I did this time --the hallway carpet looked liked it hadn't been cleaned in years and the walls and ceiling look dated; the furniture in our room had definitely seen better days and the worst was (I'm into full disclosure now) seeing years of fecal matter built up under the rim of the toilet bowl --I called the front desk immediately and was met at our door by a man with a toilet brush and clorox --not what you want to see in checking into a "deluxe" hotel --or any hotel for that matter ! --the shower was dated and the tub had years of grime ground into it ---to add insult to injury lthe family we went with stayed in an adjoining room and two of the girls woke up with bedbug bites !! --iwe stayed at the GF 10/2009 and the contrast between both hotels is stark (though there is not much difference in price) --the GF sparkled everywhere !! We will not be returning to the PH !!!!!!!"

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

I would love to stay at the Wilderness Lodge.

I have a friend who has stayed at the Polynesian - she said it was nice - especially the large bathroom.
The lobby is very beautiful w/ the indoor waterfall.
The outside is scenic too.

I just like the natural scenery at the Wilderness Lodge.

Upvote 0

magiconmainstrt

Poly VS WL

Since we had stayed at Poly 5 times previously we decided to give WL a try.
We were disappointed in hotel for an extended stay....but still had a magical time at WDW!

Reasons:
Atmosphere at Poly we preferred....(both family oriented) this may be due to personal preference, but the hotel itself had a feeling of "home" WL was a nice resort but not "home".
Food Choices... in our opinion Capt Cooks exceeds WL choices, and lines were insanely long at WL--Capt Cooks seemed more organized. Ohana is a must!
Pool: WL for looks is amazing-both hotel pools have +
Transportation: Poly has it beat... No comparison with a Monorail and Boat option to MK.
Rooms: No comparison, larger and roomier. x coffee, shampoos etc without requesting

We found when we stayed at WL, we drove 2 of our 5 days to Poly just to enjoy that hotel.
This would be my recommendation:
Book Poly with a discount code. (annual pass, room only discount or package-but stick with Garden View) and then "visit" the WL for an afternoon to take in the sights of the hotel, shops etc.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom