Pre-Trip I can't get into this trip.

I don't post a lot here, but I read nearly every day. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I leave tomorrow morning for WDW and I wish I wasn't even going. I wonder if any of you have any suggestions to get me into that magical mood.

I'm going with my 7 year old, my dad, my brother, my sister, and her husband and two kids (5 and 3). This is our third annual family trip. Our mom hasn't come to WDW with us since we were kids and my parents were still married. We found out in April that my mom has cancer. I felt like we should postpone the trip, but got outvoted by the rest of the family on that. As it turns out, her treatment won't start until we return, but she's stressed and in pain, and I feel terrible leaving (and being away for Mother's Day). That's bad enough.

I'm at a really bad spot in my relationship with my boyfriend (he's not coming on the trip for other reasons). Our breakup is inevitable, but we've been delaying it, and I'm moody and negative and sad about it all. the. time. I barely want to leave my house these days, let alone travel.

My son started running a low grade fever and coughing a lot today, and my nephew's allergies are causing a bad cough and other respiratory issues. My sister is a nervous wreck of a person and she's going to be very touchy and hard to deal with.

To top this all off, my dog started peeing blood tonight. My ex will take her to the vet tomorrow, but she's got a history of problems and I'm scared she'll need emergency surgery while I'm gone.

I don't want to go anywhere. I don't want to share a hotel room with anyone. I don't know how I'm going to have the energy for WDW, and I can't believe I'm not the slightest bit excited. And that's really sad, because it's my happy place. I'm sad knowing I'm going to be sad and stressed and distracted there. I keep trying to think of things I can do there to get happy and enjoy the vacation, but I'm coming up blank.

Apologies that this post is such a downer. But if anyone has any suggestions, I will gladly take them!

fractal

I don't post a lot here, but I read nearly every day. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I leave tomorrow morning for WDW and I wish I wasn't even going. I wonder if any of you have any suggestions to get me into that magical mood.

I'm going with my 7 year old, my dad, my brother, my sister, and her husband and two kids (5 and 3). This is our third annual family trip. Our mom hasn't come to WDW with us since we were kids and my parents were still married. We found out in April that my mom has cancer. I felt like we should postpone the trip, but got outvoted by the rest of the family on that. As it turns out, her treatment won't start until we return, but she's stressed and in pain, and I feel terrible leaving (and being away for Mother's Day). That's bad enough.

I'm at a really bad spot in my relationship with my boyfriend (he's not coming on the trip for other reasons). Our breakup is inevitable, but we've been delaying it, and I'm moody and negative and sad about it all. the. time. I barely want to leave my house these days, let alone travel.

My son started running a low grade fever and coughing a lot today, and my nephew's allergies are causing a bad cough and other respiratory issues. My sister is a nervous wreck of a person and she's going to be very touchy and hard to deal with.

To top this all off, my dog started peeing blood tonight. My ex will take her to the vet tomorrow, but she's got a history of problems and I'm scared she'll need emergency surgery while I'm gone.

I don't want to go anywhere. I don't want to share a hotel room with anyone. I don't know how I'm going to have the energy for WDW, and I can't believe I'm not the slightest bit excited. And that's really sad, because it's my happy place. I'm sad knowing I'm going to be sad and stressed and distracted there. I keep trying to think of things I can do there to get happy and enjoy the vacation, but I'm coming up blank.

Apologies that this post is such a downer. But if anyone has any suggestions, I will gladly take them!

Adulthood can certainly suk at times.

I would use this trip to go back in time - try to find your inner child. Experience WDW as if you were your son's age. The adult stuff can wait until you get back - and connecting with the person you used to be may just help you get through this bumpy road.

Enjoy the trip!

cdndisneygirl9

As a mum and a daughter that has lost a mum to cancer, my heart is sad for you and all that you are dealing with. Deep breath. Exhale. Your mum would be so upset if you didn't enjoy yourself. This is the fun and wonderful break you need before stuff gets real. The dog is getting the care he/she needs and your mum (like every mum) will be strong and brave.
I know from experience the battle that lies ahead, your wee one does not. Give him the magical holiday he deserves...and you.
God bless your mum, you, and your family. You are all in my prayers.

PS. I always found it easier to have my breakdowns in the shower, I would cry my eyes out and by the time I dried off, I was ready to take on everything that was thrown at me. You got this.

njDizFan

I'm not very good at giving advise but maybe this trip is exactly what is needed. Don't go having unreasonable expectations, try to relax and enjoy your happy place and don't let the other circumstances bring you down. I know going to Disney brings can rekindle past nostalgia of all the fun memories you had from the past, which can sometimes in turn bring you down. But remember this is a chance to be with you mom and share that experience with your own child.

Life is hard and it seems to get harder every year, a Disney trip can be a reminder that there is still joy in your life and things for better or worse will pass.

Have a great trip and greetings from a fellow Garden Stater.

LAM378

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your kind words. I'm here relaxing at the Poly with some hot chocolate (it's CHILLY here!). It was a hectic day but we're here. It looks like my dog is going to be fine at home with some antibiotics, and our kids were happy and illness-free since last night, so I'm counting my blessings and trying to focus on being in the moment here. One week from today I'll be home again and allllll the problems will still be there, so I will try to find happiness in my happy place while I'm here.

I really, really appreciate all the kind words and prayers. I'll keep you guys posted this week.

GenerationX

I can't tell you how many different times I've gone to an event or on vacation with very low expectations, certain it was going to be a chore. The key for me has always been to go into the event with an open or even curious mind (sometimes, I've had to consciously will myself to get to that state). If I manage to do that, I oftentimes leave thinking I was glad I decided to go. Given that the event in question here is WDW, which has many many ways to engage and delight the curious mind, you stand a great chance of the trip beating your original expectations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom