I CANCELLED MY DISNEY TRIP

correcaminos

You beat me to it, I was just coming back to post that.
Took me a while to find too. I knew it was announced everywhere and here there is a ton of good news articles to share especially with D23 that year!

the term i am hearing is REVENGE VACATIONS.. and that WDW is experiencing it right now.. so are almost all other resorts as well.. However.. its gonna die down.. you have almost three years of no travel wrapped into ONE YEAR. .and if Disney TICKS OFF AS many as it seems that it has.. the numbers are going to drop.. and drop like a rock.. THE LAWS OF ECONOMICS APPLY TO DISNEY AS WELL.. again Sears and Penney's were the world's two biggest stores.. and GM was the world's biggest car maker.. it can happen..raising fees is raising a tax.. the higher you raise the less product you sell..
Revenge vacation is real. I know so many who did that. How much and when it will drop for Disney is the unknown.

SteveAZee

Premium Member
Took me a while to find too. I knew it was announced everywhere and here there is a ton of good news articles to share especially with D23 that year!

Revenge vacation is real. I know so many who did that. How much and when it will drop for Disney is the unknown.
As with most things in the natural world, it'll taper off. Bell curve or Poisson Distribution or something... but it'll taper to something that may be lesser than what it once was, due to all the changes of the last year or two.

It does make me wonder if, knowing that, Chapek and others are intentionally gouging the 'revenge' vacationers (make hay while the sun shines) and then if things do taper off to something unacceptable to the bean counters, they'll do a mea culpa and fix some of the things we see as broken. Perhaps not lower the costs but raise the quality level to match the expense a little better.

eliza61nyc

the term i am hearing is REVENGE VACATIONS.. and that WDW is experiencing it right now.. so are almost all other resorts as well.. However.. its gonna die down.. you have almost three years of no travel wrapped into ONE YEAR. .and if Disney TICKS OFF AS many as it seems that it has.. the numbers are going to drop.. and drop like a rock.. THE LAWS OF ECONOMICS APPLY TO DISNEY AS WELL.. again Sears and Penney's were the world's two biggest stores.. and GM was the world's biggest car maker.. it can happen..raising fees is raising a tax.. the higher you raise the less product you sell..
I wish some one would tell me when. ;) one. could argue that sears and jcpenny did not die out because they raised prices
Drop like a rock? well my next big trip is September of 2023 so hopefully your prediction will come true and the parks will be empty.

eliza61nyc

As with most things in the natural world, it'll taper off. Bell curve or Poisson Distribution or something... but it'll taper to something that may be lesser than what it once was, due to all the changes of the last year or two.

It does make me wonder if, knowing that, Chapek and others are intentionally gouging the 'revenge' vacationers (make hay while the sun shines) and then if things do taper off to something unacceptable to the bean counters, they'll do a mea culpa and fix some of the things we see as broken. Perhaps not lower the costs but raise the quality level to match the expense a little better.
Oh absolutely and I think that's the one thing prognosticators never take into account. Believe me if the so call sharp drop off the deep edge even begins to appear, the bean counters will make adjustments accordingly

eliza61nyc

If the parks are indeed empty like some are dreaming expect less offerings and shortened park hours.

If the parks are indeed empty like some are dreaming expect less offerings and shortened park hours.
Interestingly enough on another thread someone said that the reasons why the current room discounts were offered because summer attendance had plummeted.
I'll just say what I always say. I wish all these predictions of empty parks and Disney comeuppance will hurry up.

Lilofan

There's many at my job that have banked vacation time from the previous couple years that are spending longer on vacation now. A person can roll over up to 200 hours, that's alot of time to burn up.
Must be nice to use vacation . Some I knew who survived the firm's layoffs had much more on their responsibility plate that they hardly used the allowed vacation time that they earned .

Animaniac93-98

There's many at my job that have banked vacation time from the previous couple years that are spending longer on vacation now. A person can roll over up to 200 hours, that's alot of time to burn up.

Lucky them, many jobs will require you to use vacation time within a calendar year and not bank hours.

Patcheslee

Must be nice to use vacation . Some I knew who survived the firm's layoffs had much more on their responsibility plate that they hardly used the allowed vacation time that they earned .
Guess that's one of the benefits of union, can't be denied vacation request unless too any other people are already scheduled for the same time. Each department is capped by department head count, but taking off meant getting behind the past couple years, so less people used it, and it rolled over vs lost. They didn't do layoffs, office personnel worked from home, hourly employees still reported and had extra duties dumped on them that office personnel couldn't do. They actually have plans to go places because office personnel were finally cleared to return so less demands, restrictions are almost nonexistent, and the extra cash from overtime has given them the chance. This is the first year I haven't HAD for work 60+ hours a week since covid.

Tom P.

Guess that's one of the benefits of union, can't be denied vacation request unless too any other people are already scheduled for the same time. Each department is capped by department head count, but taking off meant getting behind the past couple years, so less people used it, and it rolled over vs lost. They didn't do layoffs, office personnel worked from home, hourly employees still reported and had extra duties dumped on them that office personnel couldn't do. They actually have plans to go places because office personnel were finally cleared to return so less demands, restrictions are almost nonexistent, and the extra cash from overtime has given them the chance. This is the first year I haven't HAD for work 60+ hours a week since covid.
Many companies have stopped allowing banking of vacation time from year-to-year for another reason that has nothing to do with being unkind or greedy. It's because the evidence shows that when employees do not take periodic vacations, but instead work constantly and just build up their vacation time, they burn out and become unhappy and unproductive. It's just not healthy to work endlessly with no time off. So many companies have decided to adopt a "use it or lose it" policy for vacation time in a year because they actually want to encourage people to have some downtime.

Patcheslee

Many companies have stopped allowing banking of vacation time from year-to-year for another reason that has nothing to do with being unkind or greedy. It's because the evidence shows that when employees do not take periodic vacations, but instead work constantly and just build up their vacation time, they burn out and become unhappy and unproductive. It's just not healthy to work endlessly with no time off. So many companies have decided to adopt a "use it or lose it" policy for vacation time in a year because they actually want to encourage people to have some downtime.
They tried to do that here with the same reasons, but it was voted down. The contract was due in July 2020, so not exactly the time to propose a change either. Exempt salary employees has a use it or lose it policy.
DH has a use it ot lose it policy at his job, but they are backwards enough to make employees use vacation for things companies normally wouldn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom