I am too lazy to google this one into the ground

jharvey

I am surprising my mother and father with a trip to the world in September. It will be those two, 60+ years old, as well as DW, DS, two DDs. Oh and me, the new favorite child.

I let my father know this morning and will be surprising my mother tonight. Both are old school Disney fanatics who have not been able to go back since January 1994. Where the title of this thread comes in is I want to showcase attractions they have never experienced. Of course, that would be the entire park when it comes to DAK. For those who have encyclopedic callback, what is new to the parks (no need to add DtD or resorts because I do not see them wanting to do any of that) since 1994? Have any of the hold over attraction experienced major revamps in that time frame?

I went three times by '94 and did not return until '10. Therefore, my knowledge base has a large gap. Exact list are not needed, so if you know of onesies and twosies feel free to post.

thanks

jharvey

Original Poster
also, I am going to make this a catch-all for this trip-

The trips I have taken as an adult have not included seniors tagging along. For those..... more seasoned disney vets, is
-Illuminations worth it to you?
-Is DHS even worthy of a full-day (no commentary on how most nearly nobody sees DHS as a full-day park)
- My mother is a few years removed from a series of smaller strokes. She has all of her facilities, but I see her tiring on a few days, especially DAK. Taking small kids in the past, I always allow for multiple breaks throughout the day. If we were so inclined to get a scooter, what would I be looking at per day to rent one. I would prefer to rent at the park instead of from an outside vendor.

thanks

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
A LOT has changed since '94.

MK - Fantasyland

Snow White's Scary Adventures is now gone and is being replaced with a Princess Meet and Greet (not completed)

The "New Fantasyland Expansion" added a new "french inspired" Be Our Guest restaurant where you can eat inside the Beast's Castle, a show/meet and greet with Belle, a Quick Service "Gaston's Tavern" with unique offerings, and the Little Mermaid Ride. There is a Mine Train ride coming, not it's not completed yet (and probably won't be during the time of your trip)

Mickey's Starland has been removed and replaced with Storybook Circus...which included several changes / additions.

1) A New fountain attraction based on Casey Jr.
2) Dumbo ride was moved over there from behind the castle, and has been doubled.
3) Goofy's Barnstormer (now called Great Goofini) is a kids roller coaster (very fun!)
4) Pete's Silly Sideshow (a meet and greet)

Mr. Toads Wild Ride has been shuttered and replaced with Winnie the Pooh.

20,000 Leagues under the Sea may have already been closed on their last trip, as it closed in '94, as I recall...not sure exactly when though. But, anyhow, it's gone. Likewise, the Skyway is also defunct.

Mickey's PhilharMagic is an entertaining 3D show that plays where Magic Journeys / Legend of the Lion King used to be.

MK - Adventureland

A spinner ride similar to Dumbo has been added outside the Tiki Room that is themed off Aladdin.

The Tiki Room will be very similar to how they'll remember it in '94, but the show is a bit shorter

MK - Main Street

Center Street has been carved up into expanded shops, but otherwise the EXTERIOR of Main Street will feel very similar. However, the interior has been almost all converted into one massive shop / eateries, including a Starbucks which recently opened. Gone is the Penny Arcade, gone is the dedicated Mickey Mouse theater (replaced with an art gallery, though it still does play cartoon shorts in there). If you want to play an old penny arcade machine, two of them (maybe more, but I think just two) were moved into the Main Street Train Station.

Also, Mickey Meet and Greet has been added.

MK - Tomorrowland

The Skyway has been removed.

Mission to Mars (which probably would have been closed in 94 for conversion to ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter) has been revamped again to include Stitch. A word of warning, this is a fun show, but smaller kids may freak out. It's rather intense.

Dreamflight has been removed and replaced with Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin, a shooting dark ride (lots of fun).

The Monsters, Inc Laugh Floor has been added, which is a unique "stand up comedy" style show starring the characters from the movie interacting with the crowd.

MK - Frontierland

The canoes are gone, but Tom Sawyer Island is still accessible!

Otherwise, this area hasn't changed much.

MK - Liberty Square

This area hasn't changed much...though, the Hall of Presidents has been updated (of course) and the Haunted Mansion got a new interactive queue and new hitchhiking ghost effects.

EP - Tomorrowland

This is where I think you will notice the most drastic changes...

The entrance to EPCOT has been dramatically redone, removing the large "crystals" and replacing it with granite (I think) features that allowed guests to purchase plaques with their names and pictures on them.

Spaceship Earth has been through two show updates since 94 (depending on when you went in '94). If you remember Cronkite doing the narration, then you went before August...if you remember Jeremy Irons, then you went after...

Anyhow, now the new show has interactive features build into the ride vehicles, an updated presentation / play area after the ride ends, updated characters and decent scenes, and is narrated by Judy Dench.

Universe of Energy has been reworked, with several major changes (and some minor). It is now hosted by Ellen Dejeneras (sp).

Horizons is closed, and has been replaced (building and all) with Mission: Space, which is a simulator ride of a mission to Mars.

World of Motion is now closed, and has been replaced by Test Track.

Imagination is showing Captain EO (though, you may remember Honey I Shrunk the Audience, that film started in mid 94). The upstars Imageworks is now closed, and has been moved downstairs at the exit of the ride. The ride has been completely redone. Dreamfinder is now gone, and replaced with Dr. Nigel Channing and a largely animated Figment.

The Living Seas now has some new buddies. A dark ride with Nemo and Friends, some zany seagulls outside, a meet and greet with Crush the Turtle (WORTH seeing, quite fun), but otherwise hasn't changed much inside, outside of new color schemes and some Nemo themes.

The Communicores are now called Innoventions, and have been drastically reworked. Innoventions opened in 94, so you may remember them, but even if you do, they've changed a LOT since the 94 incarnation.

The Land pavilion still has the boat ride, but it no longer has a human narrator in the last part of the ride.

The Food Court has been completely redone.

Kitchen Kabaret / Food Rocks has been removed and replaced with a new (very thrilling) ride called Sourin'.

Symbiosis, which used to play in the upstairs theater, has been replaced with Circle of Life: An Environmental Message (based on Lion King).

The Odyssey restaurant closed in '94, and has never been reopened for general use.

The Wonders of Life pavilion was closed in '07 and has never been reopened for general use. The rides and attractions in there are now defunct.

In the Mexico Pavilion, El Tempo Del Rio (The boat ride) has been replaced / updated with Donald and the Three Caballeros.

China's Circlevision Theater has gotten a new movie.

France got a few new shops and restaurants, as well as Ratatouille (well, a robotic version of him) who makes table visits at Les Chefs de France

The Freedom Boats don't run as much as they used to...and the busses are gone.

The Nighttime Show (Illuminations) has been replaced / updated. It's awesome!

Canada got a new movie and a new outdoor show / live band (Off Kilter).

Morocco got a new outdoor show / live band (Mo'Rockin)

Italy got two new restaurants, and the old restaurant that was there is now gone.

So, that pretty much sums up EPCOT...lot...isn't it! Told you it would be! But, oh I almost forgot...

They added an interactive game for World Showcase called Agent P. It's based on the characters from Phineus and Ferb. It's a load of fun for adults and kids alike. Check it out!

<whew> This got a lot longer than I had expected...I think I'll save Hollywood Studios for another post in a bit as I need a break, and there are some major changes / updates there as well...

Cheers!

Upvote 0

jharvey

Original Poster

MK - Fantasyland

Snow White's Scary Adventures is now gone and is being replaced with a Princess Meet and Greet (not completed)

The "New Fantasyland Expansion" added a new "french inspired" Be Our Guest restaurant where you can eat inside the Beast's Castle, a show/meet and greet with Belle, a Quick Service "Gaston's Tavern" with unique offerings, and the Little Mermaid Ride. There is a Mine Train ride coming, not it's not completed yet (and probably won't be during the time of your trip)

Mickey's Starland has been removed and replaced with Storybook Circus...which included several changes / additions.

2) Dumbo ride was moved over there from behind the castle, and has been doubled.
3) Goofy's Barnstormer (now called Great Goofini) is a kids roller coaster (very fun!)

20,000 Leagues under the Sea may have already been closed on their last trip, as it closed in '94, as I recall...not sure exactly when though. But, anyhow, it's gone. Likewise, the Skyway is also defunct.

Mickey's PhilharMagic is an entertaining 3D show that plays where Magic Journeys / Legend of the Lion King used to be.

MK - Adventureland

A spinner ride similar to Dumbo has been added outside the Tiki Room that is themed off Aladdin.

The Tiki Room will be very similar to how they'll remember it in '94, but the show is a bit shorter

MK - Main Street

Center Street has been carved up into expanded shops, but otherwise the EXTERIOR of Main Street will feel very similar. However, the interior has been almost all converted into one massive shop / eateries, including a Starbucks which recently opened. Gone is the Penny Arcade, gone is the dedicated Mickey Mouse theater (replaced with an art gallery, though it still does play cartoon shorts in there). If you want to play an old penny arcade machine, two of them (maybe more, but I think just two) were moved into the Main Street Train Station.

MK - Tomorrowland

Mission to Mars (which probably would have been closed in 94 for conversion to ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter) has been revamped again to include Stitch. A word of warning, this is a fun show, but smaller kids may freak out. It's rather intense.

Dreamflight has been removed and replaced with Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin, a shooting dark ride (lots of fun).

The Monsters, Inc Laugh Floor has been added, which is a unique "stand up comedy" style show starring the characters from the movie interacting with the crowd.

MK - Frontierland

MK - Liberty Square

This area hasn't changed much...though, the Hall of Presidents has been updated (of course) and the Haunted Mansion got a new interactive queue and new hitchhiking ghost effects.

EP - Tomorrowland

The entrance to EPCOT has been dramatically redone, removing the large "crystals" and replacing it with granite (I think) features that allowed guests to purchase plaques with their names and pictures on them.

Spaceship Earth has been through two show updates since 94 (depending on when you went in '94). If you remember Cronkite doing the narration, then you went before August...if you remember Jeremy Irons, then you went after...

Anyhow, now the new show has interactive features build into the ride vehicles, an updated presentation / play area after the ride ends, updated characters and decent scenes, and is narrated by Judy Dench.

Universe of Energy has been reworked, with several major changes (and some minor). It is now hosted by Ellen Dejeneras (sp).

Horizons is closed, and has been replaced (building and all) with Mission: Space, which is a simulator ride of a mission to Mars.

Imagination is showing Captain EO (though, you may remember Honey I Shrunk the Audience, that film started in mid 94). The upstars Imageworks is now closed, and has been moved downstairs at the exit of the ride. The ride has been completely redone. Dreamfinder is now gone, and replaced with Dr. Nigel Channing and a largely animated Figment.

The Living Seas now has some new buddies. A dark ride with Nemo and Friends, some zany seagulls outside, a meet and greet with Crush the Turtle (WORTH seeing, quite fun), but otherwise hasn't changed much inside, outside of new color schemes and some Nemo themes.

The Communicores are now called Innoventions, and have been drastically reworked. Innoventions opened in 94, so you may remember them, but even if you do, they've changed a LOT since the 94 incarnation.

The Land pavilion still has the boat ride, but it no longer has a human narrator in the last part of the ride.

Kitchen Kabaret / Food Rocks has been removed and replaced with a new (very thrilling) ride called Sourin'.

Symbiosis, which used to play in the upstairs theater, has been replaced with Circle of Life: An Environmental Message (based on Lion King).

The Odyssey restaurant closed in '94, and has never been reopened for general use.

The Wonders of Life pavilion was closed in '07 and has never been reopened for general use. The rides and attractions in there are now defunct.

In the Mexico Pavilion, El Tempo Del Rio (The boat ride) has been replaced / updated with Donald and the Three Caballeros.

France got a few new shops and restaurants, as well as Ratatouille (well, a robotic version of him) who makes table visits at Les Chefs de France

Italy got two new restaurants, and the old restaurant that was there is now gone.

So, that pretty much sums up EPCOT...lot...isn't it! Told you it would be! But, oh I almost forgot...

They added an interactive game for World Showcase called Agent P. It's based on the characters from Phineus and Ferb. It's a load of fun for adults and kids alike. Check it out!

<whew> This got a lot longer than I had expected...I think I'll save Hollywood Studios for another post in a bit as I need a break, and there are some major changes / updates there as well...

Cheers!
Awesome. I have been back, but honestly, aside from the fantasyland changes, I was so busy with the little ones, I failed to notice the vast majority of this. Very cool. Thanks for the ammo. Also, I don't think I saw where you mentioned Norways restaurant. I wanna say when I was a kid I went to a TS in the Nroway pavillion. It was terrible. I have assumed it is Akershus(sic). Am I remembering this right?

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Awesome. I have been back, but honestly, aside from the fantasyland changes, I was so busy with the little ones, I failed to notice the vast majority of this. Very cool. Thanks for the ammo. Also, I don't think I saw where you mentioned Norways restaurant. I wanna say when I was a kid I went to a TS in the Nroway pavillion. It was terrible. I have assumed it is Akershus(sic). Am I remembering this right?

Yes. It is now Akershus (the food is pretty good, actually). It's got a cold all you can eat bar of Norway themed foods, and then a menu to order your entree from. It's also one of two Princess Meals on property (the other is Cinderella's Royal Table in the Castle at Magic Kingdom (which, I forgot to put on my list...that is also new. It used to be King Stephon's Restaurant as I recall).

Both are good.

Upvote 0

Mukta

also, I am going to make this a catch-all for this trip-

The trips I have taken as an adult have not included seniors tagging along. For those..... more seasoned disney vets, is
-Illuminations worth it to you?
-Is DHS even worthy of a full-day (no commentary on how most nearly nobody sees DHS as a full-day park)
- My mother is a few years removed from a series of smaller strokes. She has all of her facilities, but I see her tiring on a few days, especially DAK. Taking small kids in the past, I always allow for multiple breaks throughout the day. If we were so inclined to get a scooter, what would I be looking at per day to rent one. I would prefer to rent at the park instead of from an outside vendor.

thanks

Illuminations is worth it. I love that show. Grab an ADR at Rose and Crown so your Mom can sit and watch.

You can fill at day at DHS with all of the shows and a nice sit down meal or 2.

Upvote 0

JohnD

englanddg, you're mixing up MK Tomorrowland with all of Epcot. So, the biggest change in TomorrowLand is re-theming it from a 1970's out-dated vision of the future to a retro future as seen from the 1950s or so. I haven't been back in more than 20 years and look forward to my trip in October.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

We hated our dinner food at Akershus but the kids loved the princess interaction so we were glad overall that we'd gone there. But never again.

I'll second the suggestion to see IllumiNations while eating a late dinner at Rose & Crown.

Great descriptions @englanddg.

Upvote 0

JohnD

EP - Tomorrowland

Cheers!

Okay, just found your "MK - Tomorrowland" info above this. I think you meant to split out Epcot as "EP - Future World" and "EP - World Showcase", not call it "EP - Tomorrowland"

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
englanddg, you're mixing up MK Tomorrowland with all of Epcot. So, the biggest change in TomorrowLand is re-theming it from a 1970's out-dated vision of the future to a retro future as seen from the 1950s or so. I haven't been back in more than 20 years and look forward to my trip in October.

As noted, it was a slip of the tongue (or fingers) when I was typing the headers. Sorry about that...I did mean EP - Futureworld, not EP - Tomorrowland.

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh, and I also noticed I didn't put in a header for World Showcase...sorry about that...

I sortof was mentally lost blurting all that out and was trying to think of things that had changed and got distracted.

Upvote 0
My mother is a few years removed from a series of smaller strokes. She has all of her facilities, but I see her tiring on a few days, especially DAK. Taking small kids in the past, I always allow for multiple breaks throughout the day. If we were so inclined to get a scooter, what would I be looking at per day to rent one. I would prefer to rent at the park instead of from an outside vendor.

Hi

I am so happy to hear about your trip! What a nice surprise for your mom and dad.

This is my first time posting, so I thought I would give you some advise about your mom because we had similar circumstances.

Last time we went to Disney, we had a large group of 12--two of them were my mom (66) and step father (79). Before we left, we purchased a scooter for him off of Craig's List. We got a good deal. My mom insisted she would be fine walking.

When we got to to our second park, AK, which is HUGE, my mother got very tired, so we rented a scooter that day and then every day for the rest of the trip (got to be expensive).

Also, we spent a great deal of time worrying that granddad or grandmom was going to hit somebody with the scooter (they seemed to be using them for a kind of ride all there own). In fact, he did get my little niece's foot. And one late night, he didn't see a curb in the parking lot, and my husband just saved him from going off.

After we left Disney, we all agreed that it would have been a lot easier to rent or take along a transport wheelchair.

So my little bit of advice would be, if your mom likes her independence and is a safe driver, rent the scooter (I think you can get a better deal renting off site and having it delivered to the hotel.) If you would be worrying like we were, rent a wheelchair or bring along your own.

I hope you have a great time. I cannot wait to go back

Upvote 0

jharvey

Original Poster

MK - Fantasyland

MK - Adventureland

MK - Main Street

MK - Tomorrowland

MK - Frontierland

MK - Liberty Square

EP - Tomorrowland

Cheers!
Alright, question for you. I have asked my parents if there was a restaurant that they remembered liking. They both answered with Crystal Palace. That surprised me, so I reminded them that it is a character meal. Has it always been character?

Upvote 0

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Alright, question for you. I have asked my parents if there was a restaurant that they remembered liking. They both answered with Crystal Palace. That surprised me, so I reminded them that it is a character meal. Has it always been character?

Crystal Palace has been character since at least the 2003 renovations.

I'm not sure if it was a character meal in 94 or not...I just don't remember.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom