I am looking for....

Tom Orrow

Original Poster
Can anyone tell me if there are books or dvds about the history of Walt Disney World? I would like to know more indepth about why they built it were they did, and how they built it. Also how it transformed from 1971-2010. Thank You for reading my post!

travelgip

I would just go to Amazon.com and plug in Walt Disney World. It will come up with just about every book ever written on the subject:)

WDWmazprty

I know there are lots of info on the history of WDW. You can look on Amazon.com, I would guess YouTube, EBay, I even have a couple DVDs I burned from Netflix from programs like Modern Marvels that talk about the engineering of WDW.

janoimagine

Books:

Project Future.

Realityland.

Designing Disney.

Imagineering Legends.

The history channel has a great DVD you can buy at the parks, and there is an imagineering DVD on WDW.

Those are just a few. Enjoy.

Tinkerbell 8

I have the Disney Parks:The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes DVD pack. There's 6 dvds (Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Hollywood Studios, Disneyland, and Disney at Sea). For books there's always the Imagineering guides for Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, they are pretty interesting.

CP_alum08

I found a few really cool ones at our library. Of course if you live in a fairly small town with a small library your selection may not be as good.

There are a few shows like Modern Marvels and a few others that have back issues of WDW. Also like someone mentioned Netflix has 2 or 3. Somewhere on this site someone had/has a list of Disney books with isbn numbers.

rkelly42

I found Project Future to be really in depth. It really goes into the the goings on behind the project from possible locations prior to the current location to how the land was purchased and how it was kept secret.

disney dharling

Since The World Began - Walt Disney World The First 25 Years by Jeff Kurtti

Harder to come by now that it is almost 15 years old, but covers the history pretty well. Found one on a used book website. Hoping they will put a new one out next year for the 40th.

CaptainWinter

Can anyone tell me if there are books or dvds about the history of Walt Disney World? I would like to know more indepth about why they built it were they did, and how they built it. Also how it transformed from 1971-2010. Thank You for reading my post!

Designing Disney by John Hench w/ Peggy van Pelt (http://amzn.to/8XHNvb) is a beauty, gorgeous and informative. Loaded with history. The paperback is a steal at $14 (amazon). A lot of what we love about WDW is due to John Hench.

The History Channel's WDW documentary (http://amzn.to/bQRLoN) is OK. It's interesting enough, but a little lacking in *history* per se (IMHO of course).

Michael Barrier's Walt Disney biography (http://amzn.to/dzNDCl) has interesting information about DL especially and a bit about WDW, particularly in the later chapters. It's about Walt's whole life though, and not really so much about the parks.

The Epcot field guide (http://amzn.to/9n4ilY) is good. Haven't read the other three field guides but heard good things about them.

Also, there's the treasure trove of videos online by Martin Smith at martinsvids.net.

One last thing. Ricky Brigante's podcast is very good for keeping tabs on goings-on at WDW (). You'll also pick up some history along the way.

The Animated Man - this book is great, gives a real look at who Walt was.

Project Future - written by a guy that teaches law at Alabama I think - Gives a great look at all of the red tape they had to go through to make WDW happen, it was no walk in the park. Goes into specifics about the land and other very interesting facts.

If you are on this forum, chances are youll enjoy both of these books.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom