I-4 and 192 Construction

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
we've been fighting the Lakeland to WDW construction coming from Tampa on the weekends. Can anyone recommend a different route around the construction that the new 192 area mess has created?

MissM

I don't have any other recommendations but man....who isn't sick of I-4 being under construction? Ugh. It's so great once you get out of Ybor and it's all completed. Three lanes, easy driving. Then you reach the sign that spells dread for the rest of the trip. "Construction next 35 miles."

I don't think that road will ever be done. They've been working on it in different ways as long as I've lived here. (20 years now)

When it gets bad, it gets sooo bad. Other options would be nice.

Anyway, just saying I feel your pain.
-m

Upvote 0

Ralph Wiggum

Account Suspended
Original Poster
yeah, it makes no sense whatsoever. that 35 miles of highway is so screwed up. to lakeland is perfect. (except the idiots in the left lane doing 60) do the project in STAGES. I just wish they would connect the dots or give us a 2 lane highway into the WDW area. the Celebration exit is horrible now that 192 is under works. I'm happy to see someone feeling my pain. I'm ready to start flying to MCO. :)

Upvote 0

WTBAD

Can someone tell me where the construction on 192 starts? I come down Hwy 27 to 192 then turn in to WDW on World Dr. Any chance I won't get caught up in the construction? Will be headed to WDW in June.

Upvote 0

KevinPage

Living in Orlando and going to Legends Field Yankees spring training) a few weeks ago has made me swore off ever going to Tampa again in the foreseeable future. (ie - 30 years :D )

The I-4 drive is absolutely horrid, even on a weekend, no matter what time of day.

I can understand traffic during rush hour, but there is no pattern to it. It's traffic all the time, any day of the week, and I'm used to Long Island rush hour traffic. That was a pattern and you could at least avoid it if you planned ahead.

Mother in law has free tickets to Busch Gardens and I already told her I'm not dealing with that nonsense getting to the parks. It's even harder getting back to Orlando from Tampa, it's sickening.

Upvote 0

Flbeachbum

I-4 is terrible right now. We just opened a new office in Orlando and I have to travel a day or two a week from Tampa to Orlando to train the new staff. Its an avg drive of 3 or more hours. When it used to take an hour or less...

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Being from out of town :lol: :lol: I'm not entirely sure about the area which you're discussing - can someone be a little more specific (ie exit numbers) and how long is it likely to be affected ?

Upvote 0

SummerInFL

Went to WDW a few weekends ago and because of an accident that was OFF to the side we were stuck between Lakeland and WDW for 4.5 hours. :mad: :brick:
I have also looked for alternate routes going to WDW and unless we want to drive really far north or south we are stuck. :/

Upvote 0

KevinPage

What they need to do is remove I-4 (most people hate it and don't heed the warnings they are given), fund a teleporation device to zap you b/w Tampa and Orlando.

Granted they will start taking bids, the budget will be cut in half and when it opens, only half the person's body will be teleported, causing alot of customer complaints (not to mention plenty of deaths).

They will then add a few inane comments during the journey and hope that qwells public opinion.

FYI, this has nothing to do with SGE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

SummerInFL

KevinPage said:
What they need to do is remove I-4 (most people hate it and don't heed the warnings they are given), fund a teleporation device to zap you b/w Tampa and Orlando.

We actually voted on a bullet train from Tampa to Orlando and it was approved but then when people saw how much it was going to cost us to make it, they "revisited" the idea the next vote around. At that time it was then denied.:( It's sad really because I was in love with this idea, no more traffic to my favorite place AND I wouldn't be the one doing the driving.

Upvote 0
Ralph Wiggum said:
we've been fighting the Lakeland to WDW construction coming from Tampa on the weekends. Can anyone recommend a different route around the construction that the new 192 area mess has created?

Well I don't have any other routes to get you around I-4 but you could exit at wourld drive to avoid the 192 contruction, and if traffic gets bad the only other exit that I can think would be US 27 north to US 192 east then take that to world drive, that section of 192 isn't under construction. yet...

Upvote 0

MissM

The problems really start about three exits before the Celebration/Mickey Power Line exit. I've sat for upwards of three hours before just basically at a park for no reason. Overheating cars and overheating people. Some nights I've been stuck on the way home too. They've completely shut down all lanes of traffic before to bring in bridge parts and such. It's a weekend night and it's right after WDW closes. You think they could find a better time then that!

It's such a nightmare. It really is. And I'm one of the [large] majority who voted approval for the Tampa-Orlando bullet train. Both the first time and the second time. I think we need some kind of alternative transport between the two areas. I-4 isn't working and hasn't for years. It's a miserable hell-hole and it never gets better. They work for decades on a section but by the time it's done, it's already not enough. If we had some sort of commuter rail, or something to ease some of the traffic flow, it'd go a long way to I-4's usability.

You just never fully experience I-4 until it takes you almost five hours to get from Tampa to Disney when it's only about 85 miles total.
-m

Upvote 0
I hear what you are saying, also keep in mind the us 27 exit is about 3 or 4 exits before celebration. the worst night I have seen is when a power line fell on I-4 off the mickey pole and I-4 was closed and traffic was detoured onto 192 to us 27, I live on 192 and have to take at lt to get home, it took me 1 hour for 3 miles.

Upvote 0

coasterphil

When is construction on I-4 scheduled to be over? I ask because on our next Disney trip either late this year or next year will probably include a trip to BGT to ride Shiekra and I definitely don't want to deal with that mess.

Upvote 0

Figment1986

coasterphil said:
When is construction on I-4 scheduled to be over? I ask because on our next Disney trip either late this year or next year will probably include a trip to BGT to ride Shiekra and I definitely don't want to deal with that mess.

Um.. I hate to say 7 but i heard 7 years???

Since their is still that chunk from WDW to Orlando to "finnish/fix"

I dont remember a time when I-4 was not under construction.... :eek:

I fear it will always...

Have fun... It gets fun where the lanes get detoured and your move alot.. the good thing.. a lot of the road is finnished... just 2 parts aren't finnished yet.... one is a bridge... the other is i forget...

you could take a detour and hit SR 50 or SR 60.. then head for I-75......

Upvote 0

nbarney

Polk County shortcut

I live in Bartow and usually take State road 17 through Haines City and Davenport to SR 54. Following other backroads I come out on the Disney property at Animal Kingdom. It takes me 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. That is also my shortcut to the House of Blues. I know some Disney Castmembers who use that route to avoid 27, I-4, and 192.

Upvote 0

DISMUM

Can someone tell me where the construction on 192 starts? I come down Hwy 27 to 192 then turn in to WDW on World Dr. Any chance I won't get caught up in the construction? Will be headed to WDW in June.

If you head east on 192 and then take Sherbeth and folow it to the end you hit Osceola Park way where you can get to anywhere you like .You can also take Black Lake -Sherbeth but you need to watch out for the turning from BL onto Sherbeth

Upvote 0

Lokheed

Coming that route (27 to 192 to World Drive) the only construction you will hit on 192 is where the new overpass is going in for the 417. There are currently no lanes blocked off for that, but the three lanes each direction do narrow a bit there. The major construction on 192 is at the I-4 overpass, and then further east from 535 into Kissimmee proper.

Upvote 0

NitroStitch

MissM said:
It's such a nightmare. It really is. And I'm one of the [large] majority who voted approval for the Tampa-Orlando bullet train. Both the first time and the second time. I think we need some kind of alternative transport between the two areas. I-4 isn't working and hasn't for years. It's a miserable hell-hole and it never gets better. They work for decades on a section but by the time it's done, it's already not enough. If we had some sort of commuter rail, or something to ease some of the traffic flow, it'd go a long way to I-4's usability.

You just never fully experience I-4 until it takes you almost five hours to get from Tampa to Disney when it's only about 85 miles total.
-m

I voted for the bullet train both times too - I've always been of the opinion that anyone who voted against it or thought it was unnecessary should have to spend a LOT of time driving I-4. Clearly they haven't spent time on I-4 if they can consider an alternative unneeded. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom