I-10 along the gulf coast...is it ok to drive?

Fido

Original Poster
Hi! I am driving down to WDW in early February, and I was wondering if anyone knows how the interstate along the coast is now that Katrina hit. I usually take I-10 along the coast and then take I-75 in Florida to get to WDW. Does anyone know if there are problems with taking this route now? Thanks in advance!

Debbie

Fido said:
Hi! I am driving down to WDW in early February, and I was wondering if anyone knows how the interstate along the coast is now that Katrina hit. I usually take I-10 along the coast and then take I-75 in Florida to get to WDW. Does anyone know if there are problems with taking this route now? Thanks in advance!

I'm assuming you are coming down I-55 to I-12 to I-10? I believe all is clear. However, check back here Monday (Jan. 9), and I can tell you for sure. My sister went to Pensacola this weekend and she can let me know.
If you go I-55 to I-10, and route thru New Orleans, the twin spans were supposed to open yesterday. I wouldn't recommend this, however, because you are on your way to the happiest place on earth. This route will certainly disturb you.

Fido

Original Poster
Debbie said:
I'm assuming you are coming down I-55 to I-12 to I-10? I believe all is clear. However, check back here Monday (Jan. 9), and I can tell you for sure. My sister went to Pensacola this weekend and she can let me know.
If you go I-55 to I-10, and route thru New Orleans, the twin spans were supposed to open yesterday. I wouldn't recommend this, however, because you are on your way to the happiest place on earth. This route will certainly disturb you.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, we come down I-55 through Mississippi and get on I-10 at the first opportunity. We don't get too awfully close to New Orleans.

bayoutinkbelle

I'm a Louisiana resident and I made the trip to WDW in October. I drove I-10 in the state, skipped over to I-12 around New Orleans and then got back onto I-10 to continue on with no problems -- except, of course, seeing the utter destruction all around.

You shouldn't have any trouble, but check with the states' transportation departments' Web sites to be sure. That's what I did and it really helped out. Good luck!

Fido

Original Poster
bayoutinkbelle said:
I'm a Louisiana resident and I made the trip to WDW in October. I drove I-10 in the state, skipped over to I-12 around New Orleans and then got back onto I-10 to continue on with no problems -- except, of course, seeing the utter destruction all around.

You shouldn't have any trouble, but check with the states' transportation departments' Web sites to be sure. That's what I did and it really helped out. Good luck!

Thanks for the info!

Number_6

I work for the RTMC(Regional Traffic Management Center) for the State of Florida, located in Orlando. To the best of my knowledge, you should have no problems travelling I-10 to I-75. When you reach Florida, I would recommend that if you have a cell phone, you utilize the State '511' Traffic Information System. This will provide you with estimates on travel times and let you know of any major incidents on the Interstates. When you call, you will hear a recording start. Just say "Statewide" which will give you a recording verifying that you want Statewide travel reports. Answer yes to verify, then ask for Interstate 10. It will verify that with you, then ask if you want a full drive time summary. Tell it no and when it says that it has summaries for multiple segments, tell it "All segments." I'm pretty sure for I-10 there are only two segments, "Alabama State Line to US-27 Tallahassee" and "US-27 Tallahassee to I-95" or something along those lines. When you get about 15 minutes or so from I-75, do the same thing and just ask for I-75. That way, you'll know if there's any major delays. I don't have to do recordings up there for 511 too often, so I think you'll be alright. Of course, once you hit Central Florida(mainly Orlando) you get better info because we have a full camera system to show us just about every delay. Eventually, I think FDOT will expand things so that we have cameras covering a wider area, but for now this will do.

Here's the website, in case you want to get an idea:
http://www.fl511.com/

PixiePower

Number...great info! Thanks

As for the drive...I drove 10/75 from TX to Orlando in Dec and back again this month. No problems. We had a clear shot straight thru with a few slow downs. Took 12 around New Orleans

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom