I’ve had enough of snow (and high taxes)...

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
My wife and I (or at least me) have simply had enough. We live in the Boston area and after COVID and a long winter , I think I’ve hit my breaking point. We have a young family with a 15 month old and are both teachers. I’m almost certain my wife would find work in FL fairly easily but it might be tough for me. I’d have to reinvent myself or teacher a wider, broad subject to find a job. The love of Disney is so strong we are seriously considering making the move. Our relatively simple, mediocre 1955 house is worth insane money. We are young, mid 30’s, if there is ever a time... it’s likely now.

I’d love to hear from people who made the move and their overall experiences.

CaptainAmerica

I loathed living in Florida. It's too hot and has no sense of community. People don't leave the air conditioning. You'll miss the seasons.

If you're in the Boston area and based on what you said, I'd look into Western Massachusetts, Northwestern Connecticut, or Southern New Hampshire.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
I loathed living in Florida. It's too hot and has no sense of community. People don't leave the air conditioning. You'll miss the seasons.

If you're in the Boston area and based on what you said, I'd look into Western Massachusetts, Northwestern Connecticut, or Southern New Hampshire.
I miss the seasons until it’s 445 AM and I’m snow blowing in 12 degree weather with a windchill of -5.

John park hopper

Left NY many many years ago and moved to a small town in SC for me it's the perfect place rarely gets snow and when we do it's gone in a day, we have change of seasons and it's only a 5or 6 hour drive to WDW

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Central North Carolina is perfect as far as I'm concerned. 1.5 hours to the ocean, if that's your thing and 1.5 hours to the west if you want mountains and a little more snow than the rest of the south. Taxes are good, jobs are probably the best in the south as well. Even though the Pandemic shut down a lot of things, they are starting to open up again. Not sure why "liberal" is a factor because as individuals we have very little say in what goes on anyway. But, to the point, about 50/50 on the lib/conservative population. The only warning if you must be away from the Libs. the best bet is on the coast or in the mountains. The big section around Raleigh is fairly progressive, thus the better job opportunities and overall healthy economy. Pretty much anything one might want in food, entertainment and vast medical facilities and a very good educational system is centered here. And if you like golf it is a haven. Snow? Only a slight dusting over the last two years. Our primary adverse winter weather is freezing rain and we haven't had that in two years either. That doesn't matter though because it simply closes down until all has melted. The difference in cost for heating alone is a small fortune in savings.

I left Vermont after 63 years to come to this place and after 10 years the only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner.

mousefan1972

I say do it. Like you said, now is a great time. It only gets harder once your kids are in school and don't want to leave their friends. I wish we had moved when our kids were young. My high school senior is leaving to attend the University of Tampa. Once my son graduates high school in 2024, we will be joining her in the sunshine state. Will not miss winters nor the liberal bs that is always present in this state. Good luck!

MrMcDuck

Western MA is more politically mixed (although Democrats still control mostly everything), but the winters are brutal, so if he's trying to get away from that, it's not really the answer.

Lilofan

My wife and I (or at least me) have simply had enough. We live in the Boston area and after COVID and a long winter , I think I’ve hit my breaking point. We have a young family with a 15 month old and are both teachers. I’m almost certain my wife would find work in FL fairly easily but it might be tough for me. I’d have to reinvent myself or teacher a wider, broad subject to find a job. The love of Disney is so strong we are seriously considering making the move. Our relatively simple, mediocre 1955 house is worth insane money. We are young, mid 30’s, if there is ever a time... it’s likely now.

Try living in Central FL during the hot brutal summer ( and humid nights ) including August and Sept during peak hurricane season and see what everyone goes through pre prep , during and post clean up hurricane. You could have a better picture .

tpac24

You should look at Auburn AL. Lots of beautiful affordable homes, low taxes, Gov. Ivey is adorable, tons of great locally owned restaurants and shops, very easy to get a teaching job in or around the Auburn area, and it's only a 400 mile drive to Disney and less than that to the panhandle . A great start park near by, lots of activities on campus and you are close to Atlanta, Montgomery, LaGtrange, and Birmingham. I could go and on. I would move back to the area in a heart beat. You also get a version of all four seasons.

LovePop

I once read about a teacher who moved from the northeast to orlando and got a job easily. Then the economy tanked, they gave her the "pink slip" and her family ended up getting food from the local food bank to survive. They eventually couldn't hack it and moved back. It's better to move to Orlando if you are financially independent and don't have to work, like if you are retired or something. Because a lot of people move to Orlando because of WDW, and yet the population there hasn't really grown that much over the years, meaning that most don't make it staying there.
I think Boston sounds awesome. I live in the northwest. Lots of snow and long, cold winters, but no Boston either. Only dirt roads and bears in the backyard. Our taxes are fairly low. Ain't nothing around here to spend tax money on.
I am planning on moving to Orlando in 8 years to retire there.

bhg469

I am in the same boat. We live in Western NY and just listed our house last week. (60s ranch) Got 50k over asking and we are committed to moving down to FL. We are starting out with an apartment, where, we don't know yet. That is actually going to be decided on a long weekend trip this week. We are leaning towards Hunter's creek. My wife is a health coach and I do some work for a major sports league but am currently on furlough. We have about a year's rent saved up and then we will be profiting 6 figures from the sale of our home so we will be in ok financial shape for a bit, but there is a bit of nervousness. Good luck with your move, and maybe we'll see you down there!

The Mom

Premium Member

I was born and raised in RI. My husband was born and raised in the Philadelphia area. We moved down here in 1982 and I will confess that the first couple of years were tough- a bit of a culture shock - but now we can't imagine ever moving back North again. My parents moved down to join us and both died here. A brother also moved down here to get away from the cold. Lived in the Keys, then on the Gulf coast, and now lives about 30 mins away.

Florida is a lot more than Orlando, Miami, and Tampa. There are definite neighborhoods in Jacksonville - we live in a 100+ year old house, but there are also new areas being developed. Although many communities are work, religious and school based, there are also active circles of people joined together by political groups, ethnic groups, arts, Gay community, etc.

We have somewhat cooler weather in Winter - I still have to have a winter coat - and the heat is not as bad in summer. Many people vacation in the mountains of North Carolina or at the Beach. It is about a 30 min drive from downtown Jacksonville.

Yes, it is a drive to WDW (about 2-3 hours) but when my children were young we went for a weekend every month or so.

This is my neighborhood:

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Left NY many many years ago and moved to a small town in SC for me it's the perfect place rarely gets snow and when we do it's gone in a day, we have change of seasons and it's only a 5or 6 hour drive to WDW
Wait, so you're saying do as I say not I as I do?
Please don't ---We have had a big influx of people from the NE and when they move here (SC) they try to change it to how it was where they came from

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Only thing to consider is if you are at a public school, don't you have time towards tenure? Work is very important to happiness and if you like where you work don't think it is always so easy to replicate. Florida schools tend to lag way behind northeast schools, I don't know the reasons but maybe teacher pay has to do with that. Those high taxes help pay teachers.

eliza61nyc

lol read "the florida move guide: the unofficial warning/guide to moving to florida:
by Ron Stack.

very enlightening. the basic premise is that almost some thing like 70% of the folks who relocate to florida from the northeast end up moving back.

Now I'm not sure the love of disney is enough to base a very expensive decision like moving on. Visiting any vacation destination is light years different from living there especially at your young age.

so I am about to retire and like most older folks I'm tired of the snow and cold also (Pa/NY'er),

tread very carefully. I spend a least a year doing some serious research.

Lilofan

I am in the same boat. We live in Western NY and just listed our house last week. (60s ranch) Got 50k over asking and we are committed to moving down to FL. We are starting out with an apartment, where, we don't know yet. That is actually going to be decided on a long weekend trip this week. We are leaning towards Hunter's creek. My wife is a health coach and I do some work for a major sports league but am currently on furlough. We have about a year's rent saved up and then we will be profiting 6 figures from the sale of our home so we will be in ok financial shape for a bit, but there is a bit of nervousness. Good luck with your move, and maybe we'll see you down there!
Hunters Creek on the edge of Orlando/Kissimmee is a nicer area than the areas it borders with. Just get used to the new Brightline train from the airport straight to WDW that runs by Hunters Creek and the 417 toll road that will be operating in a few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom