Hurricane Season

LPK

Original Poster
Hi,
When is it hurricane season in America? I am going to WDW in september, and i don't really want to spend most of the trip in a hotel because the park has closed down the rides because of a hurricane warning. :(

PencilTest

It goes from June 1st until May 31st.

(Ha-cha-cha-chaaa!)

Nah, only from June to November, like Napnet said. But the parks won't close unless there's a hurricane literally bearing down on Orlando. And even if they did close down, they'd be back open the next day (barring some catastrophic damage).

MSTINKHERBELL01

Sorry! Napnet is right. Usually the Resort has activities and may run Disney Movies on the television if you are stuck in the rooms. They have also given waters and snacks as well. I am a fl res. who visits WDW once a month (including hurricane season) I've escaped So. Fla for Wdw during one of So. Fla's major hurricanes. Good Luck! Hope your Magic isnt ruined.:wave:

Pongo

You don't really have to worry about being stuck in your hotel unless there's the off chance that a heart of the hurricane is on top of WDW.

Which no one can predict.

MissM

The Atlantic Hurricane season - the one which effects Florida - runs June 1st through November 30th each year. September is the peak of the season. There's absolutely no way to know in advance (shy of a day or two) when a storm will form, where it will track, the path, the intensity or the amount of disruption to a trip it will cause. The closer to the end of the season, the better in terms of odds, however, if you're absolutely wishing to avoid any bad weather, skip a summer visit or add on some sort of travel insurance that will allow you to change/cancel your reservations penalty free.

It's going to be a busy hurricane season - this year and for the next decade or so. This doesn't mean you're going to get in the middle of one for sure, but it does mean there is a chance. Florida is sub-tropical and hurricanes come with the territory.
-m

Tim G

Guys???

Please move this into the Weather Forum...

You'll find there everything you want to know...

kachow

My wife and I last went in September 2004, when hurricane Jeanne hit, and it definitely shut down the parks for that. We got there the day before the hurricane was scheduled to hit and the parks closed at 7pm that evening, and everything was shut down the following day, including all the restaurants. We were staying a the Boardwalk and they wanted everyone to stay in their rooms as much as possible, but they didn't really enforce that. They didn't let you go outside though.

Buffet style meals were available for a price (I forget how much), and that was essentially your only food option other than what you could find in the convenience store in the hotel. They did put Disney movies on all the Disney Channels, and the characters showed up at the hotels during the day everything was shut down. The hotel bars were open, so you could at least still drink if you wanted, and the hotel staff put out some balloons and coloring stuff for kids to play with.

All in all it wasn't great, but it was a good story to tell, and the weather after that for the rest of the week was perfect, almost too perfect, as we could have used a few clouds to tone down the sun a little.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom