Hurricane Milton coming to FL

DrAlice

I would guess it wouldn't apply to Disney's transportation based watercraft. In fact, i'm not even certain if this order would apply to Disney at all since they're not technically part of Orlando. This isn't the first time the city has closed off boat ramps, I think they did so after Ian as well and I don't recall Disney stopping the boats. Could be wrong though, maybe someone else knows better.

The friendship boats (at least the ones that go to the resorts and between Epcot and DHS) again are important for transport. They're not likely to shut down the Magic Kingdom resort ferries either.
I assume the lake ban is related to bacterial and/or chemical contaminants in the water due to flooding and broken pipes. Not sure how much flooding/broken pipes has occurred on property and if WDW would go the "ban the lake route" if there was contamination. You are right, they probably won't since they are needed for transportation. Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. :)

lazyboy97o

I assume the lake ban is related to bacterial and/or chemical contaminants in the water due to flooding and broken pipes. Not sure how much flooding/broken pipes has occurred on property and if WDW would go the "ban the lake route" if there was contamination. You are right, they probably won't since they are needed for transportation. Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow. :)
Contaminants is part of it and the source can also be intentional dumping of sewage into the water. The other is that the lakes are all very high right now. There’s all sorts of stuff that isn’t normally under water that is currently under water. These types of restrictions are pretty common for individual lakes.

Disney has suspended service due to the waters not being suitable for navigation. There really aren’t a lot of transport boat services in the urban areas of central Florida so these restrictions are more aimed at personal recreation.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Those temporary bans on waterways are often driven by extremely high lake water levels that will likely continue to increase over the next week or two. If the water is very high, putting properties at risk, adding boating, and the waves that can come with it increases the risk of property damage. Rather than trying to single out one lake vs another as potentially impacted, it's easier to restrict them all until things settle down.

John park hopper

Duke Energy seems particularly sluggish in restoration following this storm. They've been very impressive and efficient in recent years, but now it seems like they're back to their old habits.

I promise I'm not just saying that because my power is still out. I'm basing that on their own data.
Could be a lack of transformers, wire, poles Helene remember took a lot out and still people have no electricity ----just giving them the benefit of doubt.

Gringrinngghost

Duke Energy seems particularly sluggish in restoration following this storm. They've been very impressive and efficient in recent years, but now it seems like they're back to their old habits.

I promise I'm not just saying that because my power is still out. I'm basing that on their own data.
There was a hurricane that took out a lot of Duke infrastructure two weeks ago.

Cmdr_Crimson

Just curious..With big storms like this and flooding inside MK...How does this affect with the Utilidors? With the other 3 parks and areas that tend to flood surley cloggage in drains are a problem..

Goofyernmost

No, no - they store it all in the underground tunnels.
They have a whole city under the entire resort. Underground Roads connecting all the resort hotels, etc. Plenty of space for a castle.
It’s a wonder they didn’t just make alll the parks retractable into the ground. Would have been so convenient.
I know that you are just joking but what good would come from being below ground level in a flood? High winds maybe, but water tends to react more to gravity. Plus and I just say this as a reminder. Trying to make funny out of a total disaster for millions of people is probably not the kindest thing or proper thing to do.

Purduevian

9:30am wait time check for the first day back 10/11/24:
85: FOP
65: Kilmanjaro Safaris
60: ROTR, Remy
55: Frozen,
45: Na'vi, MMRR, Meet Anna and Elsa
40: 7D, Meet Mickey in AK
35: Pan
30: RnRC, Pooh
25: MFSR, Everest

Everything else 20 or less.

My takeaway is AK seems very busy, EPCOT and DHS seem pretty normal, maybe a little light, MK seems very light.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom