Hurricane Milton coming to FL 10/9

Lilofan

I don’t think I would agree with that as a blanket policy. Many people may need those rooms and likely would have no where else to go.
During Charley in 04’ thousands from Tampa area drove to Orlando and stayed in hotels so hotels indeed are open for business for many seeking shelter. That’s why Disney resorts are ensuring rooms are available to ones who seek shelter and the small crew of cast being paid on the clock 24 hours a day to be on the ride out crew for rooms available to them , the cast will be working day and night to assist the guests and eventually in the big post storm clean up.

Brian

Not if they are arriving because it's safer than where they left
Indeed. A lot of folks may be looking to Orlando for an evacuation destination from the gulf coast. Orlando will be hit for sure, but there’s no storm surge considerations, which is consistently the most deadly element of these storms.

Lilofan

Talahassee is advising anyone can get in touch with Myfloridalegal.com when they see price gouging going on as a result from Helene and Milton. There are sadly a few bad apples trying and some profiting from many peoples sufferings.

Last edited:

Ayla

That’s 100% not true. You’re really just being ridiculous honestly.

Some of those arrivals may be people leaving from more vulnerable areas. Many may already be here and leaving isn’t as easy as you seem to think.
Since the obvious needs to be pointed out, there are other directions to go in FL.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Nobody said it was the ONLY option. But it is an inland, well built option with robust infrastructure and resources, and tens of thousand of rooms.

So your argument is that WDW should turn people away but other options should remain open and accommodating? C’mon.
Disney has historically made it clear that they are not an evacuation shelter. Their priority is sheltering guests who are unable to evacuate.

A lot could be accomplished by more timely notification of operational changes. I would bet that a significant percentage of guests in the parks right now don’t even know this thing is headed for central Florida.

Lilofan

Disney has historically made it clear that they are not an evacuation shelter. Their priority is sheltering guests who are unable to evacuate.

A lot could be accomplished by more timely notification of operational changes. I would bet that a significant percentage of guests in the parks right now don’t even know this thing is headed for central Florida.
I don’t know about that . During the 3 freakish hurricanes to strike Central FL in 12 weeks on 04’ and parks closed for all 3 hurricanes smartphones did not exist and we all had those pocket size flip phones . Now with all having smartphones information can be in all phones immediately to warn of impending weather.

Brian

The reason why many gravitate to Orlando, even if it's in the path of the storm, is the reliable and plentiful supply of hotel rooms. Folks from the gulf coast could stop in Lakeland, Plant City or even Brandon and be perfectly fine storm surge wise, but try finding a hotel room there during an evacuation like the one expected for this storm.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I don’t know about that . During the 3 freakish hurricanes to strike Central FL in 12 weeks on 04’ and parks closed for all 3 hurricanes smartphones did not exist and we all had those pocket size flip phones . Now with all having smartphones information can be in all phones immediately to warn of impending weather.
The only time most people get push notifications are when watches or warnings are issued. That leaves 24-48 hours to make decisions.

While smart devices usage has exploded since the early 2000’s, I still believe that in vacation mode most of that is tuned out.

An unplanned closure is a tremendous hit to the bottom line, Disney and others are walking a tight line in how to proceed.

Lilofan

The only time most people get push notifications are when watches or warnings are issued. That leaves 24-48 hours to make decisions.

While smart devices usage has exploded since the early 2000’s, I still believe that in vacation mode most of that is tuned out.

An unplanned closure is a tremendous hit to the bottom line, Disney and others are walking a tight line in how to proceed.
That’s going to be the reason why the company stock is down when Iger and the CFO reports quarterly earnings to Wall Street in public conference call trying to justify not meeting Wall Street expectations (“ because of Hurricane Milton , parks and resorts numbers were affected etc etc etc” )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom