Hurricane Matthew

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I've been watching, didn't see that one.. But I don't doubt what they're saying. I've prepared so many times..and then the storm changes path and hits somewhere else or weaker than it was. I had a house full of guests who evacuated from Key West to my house for Wilma.. And then Wilma changed and hit us instead, leaving them stuck at my house for a week. No power, no water, lived on the top floor, generator went out day 3 and we had to literally carry buckets down 20 flights of stairs to retrieve water from the pool.
Hell is the only way to describe that situation.

It's almost addicting to watch a storm's path..and people should always prepare.. It's just tough to know what's going to actually happen until closer to. I don't envy the meteorologists in these situations.

I don't know if I would cancel my trip at this point, but I definitely wouldn't be thrilled.
Man, sorry to hear that. Must have been such an awful experience for you and your guests. I went through Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and that was brutal, we were lucky and our roof was left in tack but many of our neighbors weren't as fortune. If i lived anywhere in Florida right now, I would take the proper precautions as 21stamps alluded to, you really never know where mother nature will take this thing.

Dubman

I've been watching, didn't see that one.. But I don't doubt what they're saying. I've prepared so many times..and then the storm changes path and hits somewhere else or weaker than it was. I had a house full of guests who evacuated from Key West to my house for Wilma.. And then Wilma changed and hit us instead, leaving them stuck at my house for a week. No power, no water, lived on the top floor, generator went out day 3 and we had to literally carry buckets down 20 flights of stairs to retrieve water from the pool.
Hell is the only way to describe that situation.

It's almost addicting to watch a storm's path..and people should always prepare.. It's just tough to know what's going to actually happen until closer to. I don't envy the meteorologists in these situations.

I don't know if I would cancel my trip at this point, but I definitely wouldn't be thrilled.

I hear you there.. As much as I've always wanted to experience a Hurricane, I would not want to be in the kind of situation you were in..

Just yesterday, almost all the tracks called for it to hug the coast and hit NYC, possibly even up the Hudson Valley into upstate NY! So much variation, and so many possibilities. They have their work cut out for sure!

JohnD

Original Poster
One of the reports this morning, the Today Show, said long range forecasters are calling for Matthew to curl off the North Carolina coast, move back to the south and cross over southern Florida into the gulf of Mexico. Still lots of uncertainty, but that is one of the possible solutions going into mid to late next week.

http://www.today.com/video/hurricane-matthew-when-and-where-could-it-hit-the-us-779573827973

We're talking the Today Show on NBC which wants to play up the drama as much as possible. Please. Just several days ago, forecast tracks had it going straight up the east coast nowhere near Florida. These things are more likely to follow the Gulf Stream and continue north up the Atlantic Ocean up toward Greenland and die out. Let's just wait and see.

Edit. I don't want to diminish that it could hit anywhere along the East Coast, however. It's still a dangerous storm.

Cletus

So I think we might try to change our flight from Friday to Saturday. The problem is I have been trying to call the airline (stupid Frontier) for two days now and it just disconnects me when it goes to the transfer portion. It's getting frustrating to say the least! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

21stamps

Man, sorry to hear that. Must have been such an awful experience for you and your guests. I went through Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and that was brutal, we were lucky and our roof was left in tack but many of our neighbors weren't as fortune. If i lived anywhere in Florida right now, I would take the proper precautions as 21stamps alluded to, you really never know where mother nature will take this thing.
Andrew was by far worse, I was a teenager and still vividly remember just being in shock at the utter devastation. But I think Wilma will always stick with me more.. Maybe because it was the most major one of my adult life. I had 5 people staying at my condo, one was an 8 month old baby. There was a county wide curfew, 4 hour lines to get $20 maximum of fuel.. Unbearable heat..and the no water thing absolutely sucked..looking outside and seeing a marina collapsed and boats and yachts just stacked on top of each other haphazardly. However, we were all safe. So I'll take being uncomfortable over the alternative.

21stamps

I hear you there.. As much as I've always wanted to experience a Hurricane, I would not want to be in the kind of situation you were in..

Just yesterday, almost all the tracks called for it to hug the coast and hit NYC, possibly even up the Hudson Valley into upstate NY! So much variation, and so many possibilities. They have their work cut out for sure!

I think people in Florida were just used to having hurricane parties and then the storm actually missing us. Those are fun.lol. I've never been at WDW during one, but I guess that a hurricane party in a Disney resort wouldn't be the worst thing ;)

Hopefully everyone remembers 11 years ago..and aren't being blasé about Matthew.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It will be long gone by then.
The latest GFS model has it looping back around and staying in the approximate area through the middle of next week.

at201614_model_zoom.gif

JohnD

Original Poster
One of the reports this morning, the Today Show, said long range forecasters are calling for Matthew to curl off the North Carolina coast, move back to the south and cross over southern Florida into the gulf of Mexico. Still lots of uncertainty, but that is one of the possible solutions going into mid to late next week.

http://www.today.com/video/hurricane-matthew-when-and-where-could-it-hit-the-us-779573827973

Love the drama of her throwing out an early model where it could wrap around and hit Florida but then "too early at this stage." Then the obligatory important walk from the weather monitors to Matt's and Savannah's desk to heighten the drama.

JohnD

Original Poster
The latest GFS model has it looping back around and staying in the approximate area through the middle of next week.

at201614_model_zoom.gif

I don't doubt there is one model that does that. I was watching The Weather Channel last night. In the right hand corner, they had an illustration showing all the models at the same time. It showed one model where it hooks left through Jacksonville into Georgia then immediately makes a southwest turn back into Florida and into the Gulf. Not realistic at all. During Hermine, the Euro model had it as a Cat 2 or 3 slamming into New Orleans. We'll just have to see if the other models come into agreement with this one.

fotofx

Andrew was by far worse, I was a teenager and still vividly remember just being in shock at the utter devastation. But I think Wilma will always stick with me more.. Maybe because it was the most major one of my adult life. I had 5 people staying at my condo, one was an 8 month old baby. There was a county wide curfew, 4 hour lines to get $20 maximum of fuel.. Unbearable heat..and the no water thing absolutely sucked..looking outside and seeing a marina collapsed and boats and yachts just stacked on top of each other haphazardly. However, we were all safe. So I'll take being uncomfortable over the alternative.

I was a police officer when Andrew hit. Working the Florida City and Homestead area in the days afterwards was truly an eye opening experience. Unless you have been someplace that has been hit like that, you can not possibly appreciate/respect what a hurricane can do. When we drove down on the turnpike there were no street sign or landmarks to even figure out where you were. Allot has changed as a result (exit numbers are now painted on the ground along the turnpike among other things) and the building codes have been strengthened. Unfortunately from all the near misses, many Florida residents do not take the storms as serious as they should.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Models this, models that. This channel says this and this channel says that. As mentioned before, tv plays it all the drama up for ratings.

Best thing to do is just be prepared for anything. Mother Nature is unpredictable. I live in Southwest Florida and none of the models have it affecting us but I still bought the essentials just in case. A slight shift west and boom, we're in Matthew's crosshairs. IF you're going to be in the Orlando area, then prepare for possible Tropical Storm conditions as you see fit. Disney is already being cautious by moving people from FW to other resorts and assisting with any possible cancellations so that should tell you something.

At the end of the day, be vigilant, be safe, and please, don't drive through standing water.

EDIT (11;14 AM): Didn't realize this until I just glanced the Orlando Sentinel a few moments ago. Orange, Osceola counties are under a Hurricane Watch (other counties such as Volusia are as well). Please take precautions and stay safe out there folks.

Last edited:

JohnD

Original Poster
TropicalTidbits.com has a lot of the computer models. Yes, including the GFS (the only model showing Matthew dramatically looping around and hitting Florida again). None of the other models show that. Will they come into agreement on that path? Who knows? Other models show it continuing up the East Coast.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
TropicalTidbits.com has a lot of the computer models. Yes, including the GFS (the only model showing Matthew dramatically looping around and hitting Florida again). None of the other models show that. Will they come into agreement on that path? Who knows? Other models show it continuing up the East Coast.
I am going with the Jim Cantore model. When he shows up in your area, run like hell.;)

OliveMcFly

I have clients leaving on Saturday for WDW. They asked "what would you do". I would fly the plane myself to get to WDW :hilarious:
All I could really say is keep an eye on it. I do know that Volusia and Osceola schools are closed Thurs and Fri. We'll see what happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom