Hurricane Irma

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You'd think. One of my roommates said she was allowed to park at Epcot overnight because she was too drunk to drive home. You'd think if weather is bad they wouldn't be out sweeping the garages and towing cars..but I guess you never know. I also don't know how they monitor them and if it'd be suspicious if it was there for so long. Then again, paying to get a car back might be cheaper than damages caused by wind damage..
I honestly might consider it depending on how the storm looks this weekend.

I was told they really don't monitor the resort parking lots. I asked because we stayed at a resort for a few days before our first DCL cruise and was taking the cruise bus so we wouldn't get lost and miss the boat. Plus, the bus was cheaper than parking two cars at the Port. Our cars were fine for the additional 4 days.

Minnie1986

It's looking better each day to keep my scheduled trip beginning 9/16 through 9/24.
It makes me feel better that other people are keeping their scheduled trips for the same time I'm going. Not that I would mind being able to ride Space Mountain three times in a row.

21stamps

It was not meant to be serious, I'm sorry it offended you. In my work role I am currently working with many who are impacted in Houston, Puerto Rico, and am planning to determine how we'll manage our employees based in Florida. So, I'm very actively engaged in planning around supporting. I have family members who have canceled their planned trip for this and next week and are currently diverting themselves elsewhere. My comment on this site is not at all related to my opinion of the severity of the situation or my lack of concern for those involved.

I think you misread my post. I "liked" your post.. but didn't quote it. I wasn't referring to you at all :).

LAKid53

Premium Member
I live in Atlanta and not one soul is concerned about it here, mainly because we never really get anything but some rain and small gusts of wind. I would like we are in a safe area even if it does make its way up Florida and to Georgia.

No, you just get snow... ;)

MatthewWho13

I've never used any of the DS parking garages, so I don't know if Disney security sweeps them. But perhaps not... Think of all those patrons of the bars in DS who shouldn't drive home...and shouldn't have to worry that if they don't, their car will be towed.

Reedy Creek built, owns, is in charge of the parking garages.... I'm not sure about their practices as it's their security team.

Princess Leia

I didn't see it posted, but I think it's worth mentioning that Irma has killed 2 people and wounded 2 others in St. Barts and St. Martin.

Stay safe everyone.

JohnD

Original Poster
5pm update: This one is hugely important. The cone is shown off the coast of Jacksonville / Brunswick / St. Simon's Island by Monday.

210044_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Jeffxz

So here's the deal: I almost posted a few times today, but this thread is moving fast lol.

Shortly after my earlier post, we checked every La Quinta from here to Macon, GA. No availability. Seems pointless, but we can check Red Roof/other pet friendly hotels.

We checked if Best Friends Pet Care could extend our dog's stay - we're on a waiting list.

We can book a less expensive Disney room from Saturday to Tuesday (currently only about 5 show any availability at all (or maybe that's because I'm looking for FL resident discount.) Currently at AKL, moving to GF tomorrow & Friday night. This was a special occasion trip LOL.

If the storm goes up the west coast (not likely) we can go to Melbourne with family. (Father in law stubbornly hunkering down in Melbourne and he is elderly; I'm concerned.)

If it goes up the east coast, we can go to a friend's just south of Tampa. That would be preferable to the east coast, and then drive home via alligator alley assuming we can get gas around Naples.

We have friends in Atlanta, but it's going to keep going north.

Cabana Bay at Universal shows availability for those dates. The universal hotels are also pet friendly.

worldfanatic

I take it you've never been thru a major hurricane. You're lucky. Have a magical vacation :)
I was actually staying at Dixie Landings as Hurricane Andrew approached and then swing South and devastated Homestead. I've been going to WDW forr 27 years now, and pretty much always in September. I've been around hurricanes all that time.
I also follow weather religiously. And there's plenty of great sites available for that..
You've actually posted some good things here, but my concern is your crowding out other people that might want to contribute. Especially people who might be at the World right now watching the preparations.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Couple more updates from CNN:
  • Jose is now a Category 1 hurricane
  • Irma has destroyed 90% of Barbuda
If you have the opportunity to get out of Florida, or the coast of South Carolina, please be safe.

The eye went right over Barbuda...with a storm this size, we knew it was going to be devastating for them. I think only 1,600 people live there though, whether you take that as good news or not. Obviously not for the 1,600 though.

Tony the Tigger

Are you leaning towards any one of the options?

Tony, Steve just posted that the local TV station indicates winds up to 90 mph at WDW Sunday night into Monday morning. Will your baby be safe at the Disney kennel?

I live in Atlanta and not one soul is concerned about it here, mainly because we never really get anything but some rain and small gusts of wind. I would like we are in a safe area even if it does make its way up Florida and to Georgia.

Cabana Bay at Universal shows availability for those dates. The universal hotels are also pet friendly.

Thanks, all. @21stamps - yes, as of a few minutes ago, we are heavily leaning Atlanta. We confirmed with one of our many friends up there that it was OK to bring the dog. Also, in the time it took me to call WDW to talk about policies and what not, all available value resorts (and others) were gone. I had a room in my "cart" and went to check out, and it was gone. I'm told there will be more cancellations, talk to the front desk, etc.

But with that being a maybe, my pup's whereabouts being a maybe, and that thing about 90mph winds, Atlanta seems the smart move.

The one thing that was keeping it up in the air is B was supposed to start a new job on Monday. That job has been evacuated, but they said he could start Tuesday or maybe Wednesday and not to put himself or his family at great risk. We were understandably concerned about him losing that gig by seeming disinterested or something.

So we have a plan, which is a relief, and for now at least, our trip continues to it's scheduled finale on Friday night, leaving Saturday morning.

LAKid53

Premium Member
5pm update: This one is hugely important. The cone is shown off the coast of Jacksonville / Brunswick / St. Simon's Island by Monday.

210044_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

We're not out of the woods yet, still part of the western cone. But if Irma doesn't turn and instead passes through the Florids Straits, I'm heading NW up into Alabama. My daughter said they will evacuate to Pensacola. Told her NORTH, not along the Gulf Coast....

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks, all. @21stamps - yes, as of a few minutes ago, we are heavily leaning Atlanta. We confirmed with one of our many friends up there that it was OK to bring the dog. Also, in the time it took me to call WDW to talk about policies and what not, all available value resorts (and others) were gone. I had a room in my "cart" and went to check out, and it was gone. I'm told there will be more cancellations, talk to the front desk, etc.

But with that being a maybe, my pup's whereabouts being a maybe, and that thing about 90mph winds, Atlanta seems the smart move.

The one thing that was keeping it up in the air is B was supposed to start a new job on Monday. That job has been evacuated, but they said he could start Tuesday or maybe Wednesday and not to put himself or his family at great risk. We were understandably concerned about him losing that gig by seeming disinterested or something.

So we have a plan, which is a relief, and for now at least, our trip continues to it's scheduled finale on Friday night, leaving Saturday morning.

Evacuating in the face of a monster storm so you and your family are safe isn't what I'd call "disintetested" - I sure hope hubby's new boss doesn't think that way.

Have fun in Hotlanta (one of my college professors repeatedly called it that - he was having a slight mid life crisis) and stay safe. Hope Irma doesn't follow you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom