Hurricane Irma

drizgirl

Eh, not that either is ideal but sleeping in the heat isn't a hassle. There are ways to cope with that. Sleeping in frigid cold on the other hand, been there done that and no thanks. Lol. No matter how many quilts you throw on top of you, it isn't enough
Yeah, but when you're sleeping in the heat, don't you eventually run out of quilts (and clothes?) to take off? ;)

bclane

That would be a toss-up for me-living in the southernmost part of Canada, I have experienced both sleeping in a very hot and humid home in the middle of the summer and sleeping in a room with little to no heat in the middle of winter.
We lived in Wisconsin for about 5 years (about 4 1/2 years too many) and I was miserable in the cold. The people were great. I do love cheese and corn. But I don't think I can take the cold like that ever again. Had the power go out during the winter and sleeping in the cold wasn't the problem (though the extra blankets were heavy and annoying). But getting up and taking a cold shower in a freezing cold house was the worst torture I can imagine. Lol! Our house didn't have a fireplace so you were completely dependent on the power.

21stamps

Hello fellow WDWMagicians/Magiceers/Disnerds/DisAddicts..... :)

Hurricane IRMA paid Southwest Florida a visit and she left her calling card all over Key West (where 90% of the homes down there are destroyed, but the Hemingway House is still standing - not sure about Duval Street, though), Marco Island off the Collier County coastline (storm surge got as high as 5 feet), Naples (5th Avenue and 3rd Street South - high-end shopping districts) was underwater, Bonita Springs and Estero saw some incredible rising water from nearby Imperial River (4 days after IRMA - water levels are still 4 feet deep), and Fort Myers saw mostly landscaping damage (trees down, bent, destroyed) and minor structural damage (collapsed pool cages). Further inland where I was in Naples (My family and I stayed down there with my mother), we didn't experience any storm surge and the only flooding we received was from IRMA's rain. I knew my mother's house was structurally sound as it withstood Andrew in 1992, Charley in 2004, and Wilma in 2005 (Concrete block construction is a beautiful thing) and we were going to be just fine there.

My house in Fort Myers, well, we got a new roof on it a few months back, but we were questioning the windows as we did not have any storm shutters and had to make a post-haste rush to Lowe's to pick up fence paneling to cover the windows because plywood was in short supply. My wife and I started to going into survival mode and really thought out of the box with this one:

We used the following items to protect the house:

-Fence Paneling to protect/cover the windows
-50 pound bags of salt for well water systems for sandbags

Amazingly enough.....this worked and it worked well. Our house did not receive any damage and while do live across the street from a lake, the water came up (along with the rain water), and flooded our street, but because our house is up on a "hill" (about 5 feet higher than street level), the water came up about 3 feet up the driveway, a canal overflowed the retaining wall out front, and well..that was the extent of my flooding, but no water got into the house. :)

The only thing we lost in the hurricane was a couple of pieces of fencing....but I plan to get out tomorrow with some fencing nails...and hammer those babies back in and we'll be back in business.

But, I think people are going to be asking, "What was that like to be in the middle of IRMA?" It was pretty intense! I'm a tropical meteorology ("hurricanes and other tropical storms") nerd and I love tracking hurricanes, but to be in the smack dab center of a hurricane right before the calm, the winds can get pretty intense inside the "eye wall". Where I was in Naples - we experienced sustained winds inside the eye wall at about 135 mph with wind gusts up to 140-145 mph. The official (and highest) wind gust in Florida during IRMA was recorded at the Naples Airport: 142 mph!

Would I do this again any time soon? Well, I live in Florida, we just look at these storms, knock back a cold beer, laugh at them, and clean up the mess afterwards. No...not really, but it is a part of Florida life. Now I know why some of our "snowbird" visitors leave during the summer.....very smart on their parts. :)

I shared a Google Drive folder where you can see some of the pictures I took to showcase the damage caused by IRMA.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4vnmMBWlTcrOEpEQWhNTjhGUEE

To those without power still - hang tight....pack your patience.....they're coming! They will get to you! Down here in Southwest Florida, we have utility companies from New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Ohio, Missouri, Oklahoma, and I saw California earlier today! To those states - we can't thank you enough, but you know that when the weather turns bad during the winter up north - Florida Power & Light has your backs!

Thanks for sharing the pics. Glad you're ok!

The flooded house photo :(

21stamps

Yeah...that house is down the street from me (about 50 feet), but their backyard is pretty much the lake.....

I wonder what the total count is -of homes, businesses, vehicles, and boats that are flooded or completely destroyed. It has to be a staggering number.

disneygeek90

Eh, not that either is ideal but sleeping in the heat isn't a hassle. There are ways to cope with that. Sleeping in frigid cold on the other hand, been there done that and no thanks. Lol. No matter how many quilts you throw on top of you, it isn't enough
I personally would rather be all bundled up in blankets and sweatpants than sweating in my sleep, but neither is obviously comfortable lol.

crxbrett

For me personally, I think it's way easier to get warm than it is to stay cool. And that is even more so when trying to sleep. You can throw on 3 pairs of pants and wear 3 pairs of socks and a beanie and hide under 3 quilts to escape the cold. The heat? If the power goes out you are pretty much screwed unless you go wade in the pool every half hour or take a cold shower or dunk in a tub of cold water every 15 minutes. I live in the San Fernando Valley near Los Angeles and we had a big power outage in July when it was about 115 degrees in the afternoon. The power knocked out for about 8 hours from 6pm-2am and it was awful and miserable. My house got up to 92 degrees in a matter of a few hours that night!

I love warm weather. But it's a way bigger ordeal for me to stay cool than to get warm in a power outage. I've been in big snow storms up in Big Bear when it's only 10 degrees. In a power outage I would take that snow storm over the 115 degree heatwave any day of the week.

21stamps

This just came up on my FB "on this day". I was so upset that week because it stormed every day. My kiddo wants to do a lemonade stand this Saturday and Sunday to send his profits to the displaced victims. We live in a cul de sac without much traffic, I've contacted a few stores to see if we can set up there, also contacted the field where his soccer game will be. He wants to sell it during the games after his. Hoping to hear back soon!

This photo just makes me sad. Before, and after
:(

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

Delgado

weve lost electricity in an ice storm in Illinois and you couldnt sleep no matter how many blankets you had because you're body was shaking from being so cold.

wdwjmp239

I wonder what the total count is -of homes, businesses, vehicles, and boats that are flooded or completely destroyed. It has to be a staggering number.

Each individual county's emergency management department would have those numbers and will all come out once all the data is collected, processed, spindled, folded, and mutilated for the public to know. Right now, emergency management departments across Florida are still active and orchestrating the recovery efforts for their respective counties. Lee County is starting to clean up nicely....it almost looks back to normal, but there are pockets of areas that are just hosed!

disneygeek90

Each individual county's emergency management department would have those numbers and will all come out once all the data is collected, processed, spindled, folded, and mutilated for the public to know. Right now, emergency management departments across Florida are still active and orchestrating the recovery efforts for their respective counties. Lee County is starting to clean up nicely....it almost looks back to normal, but there are pockets of areas that are just hosed!
What is the gas situation in lee county right now? I am heading down there to my parents house tonight.

21stamps

From what I've last heard, 18% of Florida is still without power.

One friend in Broward still doesn't have power or water at her house.

I think a very small percentage of Monroe has power, but I don't think they have water. Yesterday it was stated that it may be a month before mid and lower key residents could return, but in the latest update today it's now anticipated to be much faster.

NearTheEars

Never checked in to say we are safe and sound in Ocala, and we're among the few that had power after the storm. Finished up clearing the yard today of branches and leaves. Only damage I've found so far is a leaning fence post. Unbelievably lucky to have power.

NearTheEars

Was just talking about that with my barber today (who thankfully just had power restored).

I said I'd been through a few blizzards in Ohio growing up without power, huddled together in one room with a kerosene heater.

Still not sure, but leaning toward cold being worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom