Hurricane Irma

Winter

Is this a really big hurricane (Like category 4 or even 5) or just a smaller one (Like Category 1 or a tropical storm)?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Too early to say right now if it will impact Florida and what its speed might be.

There are two main competing weather models which have completely different ideas on how Irma will travel. (Both of which have flipped flopped over the past couple of days). The GFS,which has been extremely unreliable lately, is supporting a Florida impact. The European model which has a better track record is pushing an off shore track. I should note a couple of days ago they were both flipped in what they were predicting.

I wouldn't be surprised if it flips again. True track should be firmed up by Thursday.

Tom P.

We are supposed to be driving into WDW on Monday. Our first night is kind of a "pre-arrival night" at All-Star Movies. Our "real" reservation begins Tuesday, with free dining, at Art of Animation for seven nights.

A couple of questions for those more in the know on these things than me:

1. If the predictions are correct for it hitting Florida, is it looking like everything should be clear by Tuesday at least? We could dump the All-Star Movies night and drive in a day later without too much trouble.

2. If you have a multi-night reservation and have to miss the first night for some reason -- say this thing slows down and really impacts Tuesday -- will Disney let you miss the first night and still show up for the rest of your stay, particularly if its a pre-paid package that's already paid in full?

Thanks folks.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So I'm living in Kissimmee right now, a couple miles south of the Animal Kingdom area. On the 3rd floor of my building, windows face west if it makes a difference. We went and bought water and some other stuff yesterday, planning on possibly getting a few other small things Tuesday if things continue their current track. I moved here last year right before Matthew did the near miss so I'm not exactly sure of what the best plan might be.

After Harvey, I'm worried about the cars. We don't have a garage or anything, we just park in a lot outside the building. It's not the flooding that worries me as much as the wind and flying debris. I thought about taking the cars to a parking garage (or at least the one nicer car that we are still paying off) and then getting a cab or uber back to the apartment but I'm not sure if there are any garages that would be open in the Kissimmee area. I know Disney Springs has garages but I don't think they were open to the public during Matthew last year. I could drive all the way to the airport and leave the nicer car at the MCO garage but it seems like such a long distance. I found some articles from last year during Matthew that you could park at certain garages in Downtown Orlando but it was for residents only. Is there anything like this in Kissimmee? Thoughts would be appreciated.
The big problem with Harvey was when it parked over SW Texas. That's why they got the 50+ inches of rain and heavy flooding.

I don't see a forecast where Irma is expected to park over central Florida for a week, so I wouldn't expect the same kind of flooding. Winds, some; rain, a lot, but it should run off fairly quickly. It all depends on if it cuts across the peninsula or slogs up the peninsula, and how much of it stays over warm water.

Cmdr_Crimson

Storm rolls in and Food & Wine foodies be like....
Hurricane-Drinking.png

ELG13

We are slated to arrive Sept 30...so after the storm hits, but my concern is the integrity of the bulidings and power etc. Does anyone know protocol? I called this morning but I was on hold for a long time and had to hang up. We've had our trip booked since last July and made this "our trip to remember" with grandparents etc....we are on the free dining plan but still have she'll dout over several thousand dollars to get the trip together. I'm praying for safety of everyone first and just wondering where this leaves us?

lazyboy97o

We are slated to arrive Sept 30...so after the storm hits, but my concern is the integrity of the bulidings and power etc. Does anyone know protocol? I called this morning but I was on hold for a long time and had to hang up. We've had our trip booked since last July and made this "our trip to remember" with grandparents etc....we are on the free dining plan but still have she'll dout over several thousand dollars to get the trip together. I'm praying for safety of everyone first and just wondering where this leaves us?
The EPCOT Building Code has stricter requirements than the Florida Building Code in force in the immediate area. Nobody can say anything about building integrity because nothing has happened but this wouldn’t be the first storm to impact Walt Disney World. While the Reedy Creek Improvement District is controlled by Disney, they take their role as the local building authority very seriously.

SJH'72

Was reading this thread earlier and Irma was just mentioned on BBC forecast too. Said it could hit Barbuda and British Virgin Isles heavily Tues/Weds and that then it COULD hit Florida by the weekend. Warned British tourists in those areas to pay attention to the local forecasts.

ELG13

The EPCOT Building Code has stricter requirements than the Florida Building Code in force in the immediate area. Nobody can say anything about building integrity because nothing has happened. While the Reedy Creek Improvement District is controlled by Disney, they take their role as the local building authority very seriously.
Oh I can only imagine...I guess I'm just wondering about reimbursement if they are closed...we don't have the policy purchased...so now we are afraid we might just be out our money if we can't go...

lazyboy97o

Oh I can only imagine...I guess I'm just wondering about reimbursement if they are closed...we don't have the policy purchased...so now we are afraid we might just be out our money if we can't go...
The link to Disney’s hurricane policy page was posted earlier in the thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom