Hurricane Helene (2024)

JohnD

Tennessee/WNC/Flooding.....
We are not done and entire main streets of towns are gone
The residual moisture was drawn to west Tennessee/Kentucky and will be coming back tomorrow night.
This is a historic flood event over a wide area

Just one town of many EDIT!!! THE DAM DID NOT BREAK!!!!!

One more to drive the point home, this is not a joke, is not a hoax this is life for these people

So my home was okay in Tallahassee. But my brother and sister-in-law went to visit their daughter at Appalachian State in Boone, NC. You can guess what happened next. To make a long story short, my niece was stuck in her apartment but my brother and sister-in-law had to flee a mountain cabin out of fear of a mud slide. They were stuck under a carport but were eventually saved by a guy in an ATV. They're safe but the only clothes they have are from Goodwill, TJ Max, etc. and their car is a mess. They're still trying to figure out how to get home.

Lilofan

I know the focus is completely on NC and TN right now, but Florida took a big hit off this as well. St. Pete and the beach areas have been absolutely destroyed from everything I've seen (even without a direct hit, they set records for storm surge). They don't have the loss of life, but there are a lot of homes destroyed, tons of businesses wiped out, and it's going to have a huge effect on the economy as well (beaches are destroyed, dunes are gone, hotels are ruined, so no tourism). I genuinely wonder how everything is going to get rebuilt between all the destruction in FL up through GA, SC, NC, and TN.
There's going to be a number of insurance companies cancelling policies moving forward on homeowners through no fault of their own to limit company exposure in the future , pulling out of storm related state , raising homeowners rates and or going bankrupt trying to pay all the claims. This doesn't include a number of contractors charging more than the insurance dollar amount to fix and repair if the homeowner wants it done in a timely manner. I'm saying based on frustrating experience.

Last edited:

Lilofan

So my home was okay in Tallahassee. But my brother and sister-in-law went to visit their daughter at Appalachian State in Boone, NC. You can guess what happened next. To make a long story short, my niece was stuck in her apartment but my brother and sister-in-law had to flee a mountain cabin out of fear of a mud slide. They were stuck under a carport but were eventually saved by a guy in an ATV. They're safe but the only clothes they have are from Goodwill, TJ Max, etc. and their car is a mess. They're still trying to figure out how to get home.
Boone NC is a complete mess, a favorite of some skiers from FL looking for some powder in the winter but one town - pure destruction and parts of the town completely under water is beautiful Asheville NC.

JoeCamel

Wow, talk about being in the thick of it. Boone was hit hard so good to hear they are getting out

Captain Barbossa

Good to hear you made it through and can start rebuilding, terrible devastation over a wide area

My only effects from the storm here in East Tennessee have been the inability to go south to NC (I-26 washed out and closed) and slow cell service and no cell based internet so only broadcast TV.
50 miles east is a different story with entire main streets destroyed, people stranded in the mountains as the roads washed out and community water systems non-existent. It will be years rebuilding but will never be the same.
I-40 between Knoxville and Asheville washed out and is closed and countless surface roads and streets are rubble and impassable so rescue cannot get in to help. Helicopters are air dropping supplies where they can with volunteers pouring into the affected towns trying to help. Getting the help to where it is needed will be the challenge and while these are resourceful people there is only so much you can do without massive amounts of heavy equipment and that takes time.
Help if you can or at least keep the region in mind and thoughts as Appalachia rebuilds it's home again.
Thinking about everyone in WNC and ETN. Absolutely devastating. WNC is like my home away from home. Countless vacations and day trips to the Blue Ridge and Smokies. I’ve got friends & family in the Asheville area and Townsend, TN. I’m sure the wind was awful, but it looks like the main culprit was flooding. Those areas got much more rain than we did. Still trying to confirm if the Lake Lure dam (Chimney Rock) failed or not. Been seeing conflicting reports. If it did fail, that’s a big concern. The Lake Lure dam feeds into the Broad River basin and the Broad River runs through my county.

JoeCamel

Thinking about everyone in WNC and ETN. Absolutely devastating. WNC is like my home away from home. Countless vacations and day trips to the Blue Ridge and Smokies. I’ve got friends & family in the Asheville area and Townsend, TN. I’m sure the wind was awful, but it looks like the main culprit was flooding. Those areas got much more rain than we did. Still trying to confirm if the Lake Lure dam (Chimney Rock) failed or not. Been seeing conflicting reports. If it did fail, that’s a big concern. The Lake Lure dam feeds into the Broad River basin and the Broad River runs through my county.
The dam did not fail, several reports that mass evacuations were started for several dams they said were failing only to be walked back minutes or hours later. I'm not sure if it was malicious fake reports that spread or what people were thinking but this dam did not fail.

Eric Graham

Looked so awful what happened in Asheville, expescially around I4 and the surrounding area with mudslides etc. And, the whole Biltmore village was practically underwater and part of the Biltmore estate area.

happymom25

The dam did not fail, several reports that mass evacuations were started for several dams they said were failing only to be walked back minutes or hours later. I'm not sure if it was malicious fake reports that spread or what people were thinking but this dam did not fail.
It did not fail but it was very close. It was eroding around the side of it but by the grace of God it held. Evacuation orders were not due to malicious or fake reporting.

There were also evacuation orders on Saturday along the Catawba as water was directed to Lake Wylie. They had to open all the floodgates on Lake Norman as it reached 100 ft and that’s the max. There is a nuclear plant right next to the dam. They cannot let it overflow or fail.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think they were just be cautious, I saw video of the Nolichucky (?) dam with insane amounts of water flowing over the top of the dam and the surrounding embankments, thankfully it survived but dams aren’t designed for that. Once the spillways and overflows are at capacity there’s a real risk of washout and failure.

Captain Barbossa

Upstate SC took a big hit here on the coast we had 4" of rain minor wind. Captain stay safe danger now is people with chainsaws who are inexperienced
Don’t worry, I don’t fall into the inexperienced chainsaw operator category.

Came across a neighbor Saturday that was struggling with theirs. I stopped and asked if they needed help. They informed me that they were having trouble finding the gas tank………

……it was battery powered.

A much needed humorous moment to say the least.

Lilofan

Looked so awful what happened in Asheville, expescially around I4 and the surrounding area with mudslides etc. And, the whole Biltmore village was practically underwater and part of the Biltmore estate area.
Operation Blue Ridge is FL teams and other teams assisting post Helene with supplies, manpower and looking to assist Floridians trapped in the areas including Asheville to get them safely back to the Sunshine State.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom