Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree

AJFireman

Are you able to copy paste the article here? It’s locked behind a paywall
I generally google the title of the article and can pull it up that way from a different source. This came from the SBSUN.

Disneyland’s Hungry Bear restaurant brings back barbecue and Country Bears​

Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree won’t offer character dining or feature audio-animatronic bear figures.​

A thematic, musical and menu overhaul coming to the Hungry Bear restaurant in Critter Country will bring back a Country Western bear band missing from Disneyland for two decades and a barbecue feast not available at the Anaheim theme park in nearly a decade.

The Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree will bring back the Country Bears music and theme along with a regional barbecue menu when the Disneyland restaurant returns from an extended refurbishment of Critter Country tied to the debut of Tiana’s Bayou Adventure.

ALSO SEE: Disneyland unions vote overwhelmingly to authorize strike

The backstory for the refreshed restaurant finds the Country Bears bringing back a menu of barbecue favorites discovered while on tour with a music soundtrack featuring the band’s greatest hits.

It’s been awhile since the Country Bears and Southern barbecue have been part of the mix at Disneyland.

Country Bear Jamboree opened in 1972 as the centerpiece of the new Bear Country themed land at Disneyland. The audio-animatronic musical variety show starring a troupe of foot-stompin’, knee-slappin’ and rip-snortin’ bears closed in 2001 to make room for the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh dark ride in Critter Country.

The updated Country Bear Musical Jamboree returned on July 17 at Florida’s Magic Kingdom with a new soundtrack of country-western versions of “A Whole New World” from “Aladdin,” “Kiss the Girl” from “Little Mermaid,” “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from “Toy Story” and “Try Everything” from “Zootopia.”

The original Disneyland attraction featured a song lineup that included “My Woman Ain’t Pretty, but She Don’t Swear None,” “Mama, Don’t Whup Little Buford,” “Pretty Little Devilish Mary” and “All the Guys That Turn Me On Turn Me Down,” according to Yesterland.

While the updated restaurant will feature a Country Bears soundtrack, don’t expect to find Big Al, Henry, Trixie or any of the bear band members at Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree.

Disneyland has no plans to feature Audio-Animatronic bear figures at the Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree restaurant, according to Disneyland officials.

Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree won’t offer character dining with meet-and-greet opportunities with the bear band.

Disneylanders have been without a Southern-style barbecue ribs and chicken restaurant for nearly a decade — having to settle for Bengal Barbecue skewers and the occasional burnt ends offerings at River Belle Terrace.

Big Thunder Ranch opened in 1986 with a petting zoo, blacksmith demonstrations and a series of barbecue restaurants with various names. The ranch area closed in 2016 to make way for the debut of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge in 2019.

ALSO SEE: Disneyland to close 6 attractions during busy summer season

Hungry Bear closed in early July for kitchen refurbishments as part of the larger Critter Country overhaul. Disneyland has not yet released a menu for Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree.

Disneyland has not yet announced opening dates for Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree, Tiana’s Bayou Adventure or Critter Country.

Originally Published: July 22, 2024 at 2:28 p.m.

Phroobar

WDI has to work by pitching projects constantly in hopes for a greenlight. The pointless redo of Hungry Bear reeks of WDI trying to keep their job.
It was pretty dated. I'm not sure if country versions of Disney songs was the right way to go either. I guess it is cheaper.

The Chatbox Ghost

It was pretty dated. I'm not sure if country versions of Disney songs was the right way to go either. I guess it is cheaper.
They said the restaurant is going to have the bear's "greatest hits", so it's not going to be just Disney music. They're likely going to play the raw audio from the other versions of the show, because I doubt they had the bear's new VAs record more than just the songs from the new show.

Phroobar

They said the restaurant is going to have the bear's "greatest hits", so it's not going to be just Disney music. They're likely going to play the raw audio from the other versions of the show, because I doubt they had the bear's new VAs record more than just the songs from the new show.
Which makes me wonder if there is licensing difference.

mickEblu

It is my hope that the music is instrumental and played softly.

Same here but I doubt it’ll be only instrumentals. I’m a little more hopeful about it not being played too loud but perhaps that’s foolish considering how loud they Blast that new soundtrack at San Fransokyo. Granted, they re going for a different ambiance. Man, I can’t remember what it was like when we trusted WDI and gave them the benefit of the doubt. Seems like a long time ago

The Chatbox Ghost

Which makes me wonder if there is licensing difference.
I've always wondered- pretty much every song in all the shows are Disney-made covers, pretty sure Pianjo and Blood on the Saddle are the only non-covers that are taken directly from albums. Don't they own their own covers? I'm not sure how music copyright works, but if Taylor Swift can make new versions of her old songs that she doesn't own the rights to and it's totally legal, surely it's the same for singing bears.

C33Mom

I've always wondered- pretty much every song in all the shows are Disney-made covers, pretty sure Pianjo and Blood on the Saddle are the only non-covers that are taken directly from albums. Don't they own their own covers? I'm not sure how music copyright works, but if Taylor Swift can make new versions of her old songs that she doesn't own the rights to and it's totally legal, surely it's the same for singing bears.
I am not your lawyer and this is not legal advice (and I only know enough copyright law to be dangerous) but there are different elements of copyright rights with music (the lyrics/music itself, the right to perform, a specific recording, etc.) and Swift being the original artist who wrote the song gives her more flexibility, especially if she only signed away a specific recording. For the original songs, Disney likely had a limited license and not a universal license with no limits. Having said that (and having two elementary school aged kids who LOVED Blood in the Saddle and now stream the Tex Ritter song), if I was the estate of many of these artists, I would offer an extremely cheap license to get a new generation interested in my music.

The Chatbox Ghost

I am not your lawyer and this is not legal advice (and I only know enough copyright law to be dangerous) but there are different elements of copyright rights with music (the lyrics/music itself, the right to perform, a specific recording, etc.) and Swift being the original artist who wrote the song gives her more flexibility, especially if she only signed away a specific recording. For the original songs, Disney likely had a limited license and not a universal license with no limits. Having said that (and having two elementary school aged kids who LOVED Blood in the Saddle and now stream the Tex Ritter song), if I was the estate of many of these artists, I would offer an extremely cheap license to get a new generation interested in my music.
That makes sense. If they licensed the songs for 50 years, I'm sure it wasn't expensive. Especially with how many years the CBJ was showing to near-empty theaters, if it were pricey they would've pulled the plug long ago. I guess we'll see when the new restaurant opens what the music is!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom