Hungry Bear Barbecue Jamboree

Consumer

Is this a response to the success of CBMJ? Is Disney continuing to test the waters for CBJ interest in California? Strange to have some representation in Grizzly Peak and then some in Critter Country.

I’ll admit, I’m actually a little disappointed by this. I love BBQ and I love the CBJ, but the Hungry Bear’s fried chicken sandwiches were my favorite thing at Disneyland and I would hate to lose those. And as Patricia mentioned, I don’t want them to touch that beautiful Hungry Bear sign.

That all said, it’s probably a good change. Disneyland’s needed a BBQ place since the closure of Big Thunder Ranch. Hope the food is good and I hope there’s lots of Country Bear references, including Max, Melvin, and Buff ala the Mile Long Bar. Maybe they’ve taken the old figures from Winnie the Pooh and revived them for this restaurant.

Unhinged conspiracy - maybe Critter Country will reopen and CBMJ will have replaced Winnie the Pooh with nobody knowing.

mickEblu

Is this a response to the success of CBMJ? Is Disney continuing to test the waters for CBJ interest in California? Strange to have some representation in Grizzly Peak and then some in Critter Country.

I’ll admit, I’m actually a little disappointed by this. I love BBQ and I love the CBJ, but the Hungry Bear’s fried chicken sandwiches were my favorite thing at Disneyland and I would hate to lose those. And as Patricia mentioned, I don’t want them to touch that beautiful Hungry Bear sign.

That all said, it’s probably a good change. Disneyland’s needed a BBQ place since the closure of Big Thunder Ranch. Hope the food is good and I hope there’s lots of Country Bear references, including Max, Melvin, and Buff ala the Mile Long Bar. Maybe they’ve taken the old figures from Winnie the Pooh and revived them for this restaurant.

Unhinged conspiracy - maybe Critter Country will reopen and CBMJ will have replaced Winnie the Pooh with nobody knowing.

I hear you. I’m conflicted by this. BBQ is a natural choice for Hungry Bear and I’ve suggested it many times. BBQ has been lacking at DLR since Big Thunder BBQ closed. Riverbelle doesn’t cut it. I don’t like the modern Disney wordy name change and not sure why that’s necessary. They could have just added more of a CBJ presence. I’m also worried for THE sign and all the old iconic signage actually. I guess we should just be happy that Hungry Bear survived Tiana and will probably be around for a very long time.

It is kind of at odds with the GRR rumor. From no CBJ presence to two parks? Maybe they decided against GRR and went with this instead?

Last edited:

CaptinEO

This is great news any way I see it. The Disney dry burgers can be had at galactic grill already.

Awesome fit for Disneyland now that Big Thunder BBQ is gone and I like that its per item and not all a 50 dollar all you can eat meal (which has little value to me).

Brer Oswald

I’m in no way opposed to more Country Bear presence. The thing is…Hungry Bear already is “CBJ Inspired”. Besides the name “Hungry Bear”, there’s plenty of signage that referenced the characters. It was a Bear Country Original. And the added subtitle “barbecue jamboree” is overkill IMO.

Consumer

If I want to be really pedantic, Country Bear Jamboree's primarily musical inspiration comes from the Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee, out near Knoxville. The primary food of that region is less more of a Southern comfort (fried chicken, fried okra, etc.) rather than BBQ. Memphis, which is all the way on the other side of the state, is where Tennessee's BBQ is found.

A small gripe, really, but I still feel compelled to call it out.

mickEblu

RIP “new” Hungry Bear sign

2021 - 2024

You warmed our hearts
and never did get the Hunny
but rest easy
and give our best to Brer Bunny.

8FA336C6-4FEA-4A02-8690-2BCC07816542.jpeg

DABBCC07-DBE1-4DBF-8DE8-F5DC15FB7550.jpeg

This guy should survive right?

8A850E07-68D0-4BA0-B96C-F0F47B7DBF8D.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Sullivan

Just don't mess with the sign bear going for the hive.

That will be the first thing to go. It's too creative for modern Disney.
Say goodbye to the Hungry Bear sign near Galaxy’s Edge. 😭 No way it survives this.
Can they even get rid of it without permission? They said in the Forward meetings with the council that Hungry Bear is on the state historical registry (don’t remember the reason why I just remember it is) and that typically means the building and iconography connected to or associated with it in the general vicinity can’t be altered without permission from the body that oversees the historical sites. Unless they have an exemption to that.

mickEblu

Can they even get rid of it without permission? They said in the Forward meetings with the council that Hungry Bear is on the state historical registry (don’t remember the reason why I just remember it is) and that typically means the building and iconography connected to or associated with it in the general vicinity can’t be altered without permission from the body that oversees the historical sites. Unless they have an exemption to that.

🤞🏼

Would definitely be in favor of them just changing the name on the app and map. I don’t think people will mind or be confused. Or maybe they add extra signage or append the existing signs to reflect the name change?

Last edited:

DavidDL

They’ll definitely be replacing the signage above the cashiers and pick-up windows with the newly revealed one.

IMG_2680.jpeg

I would guess the signage made of sticks along the side of the building is probably safe because it just says “Hungry Bear”, which is technically still accurate.

IMG_2682.jpeg

However, I’m sure the signage at the entrance to the ramp and near Galaxy’s Edge are destined to be updated with the new restaurant name. There’s always a small chance that they keep the same style and just update the names on the signs themselves, but I’m not holding my breath.

mickEblu

We’ve learned that nothing is safe. When do they change the iconic Blue Bayous name? I think if it survived Tiana it’s probably safe for quite a while. Anything without an IP attached is at risk. Cafe Orleans maybe becomes a Ratatoulle themed restaurant? Bengal BBQ = Shere Kahn’s?

mickEblu

They’ll definitely be replacing the signage above the cashiers and pick-up windows with the newly revealed one.

View attachment 802171

I would guess the signage made of sticks along the side of the building is probably safe because it just says “Hungry Bear”, which is technically still accurate.

View attachment 802172

However, I’m sure the signage at the entrance to the ramp and near Galaxy’s Edge are destined to be updated with the new restaurant name. There’s always a small chance that they keep the same style and just update the names on the signs themselves, but I’m not holding my breath.

I’m ok with that one being changed. I was more concerned about the below…

(And the Bear/ hive sign of course)

4CFF4C3D-FCA8-4564-9C66-FAC90431D375.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom