[Huge News] Nintendo Reveals Revolution's Controller

ogryn

Some rumoured specs from Digitalspy Forums:
Revolution CPU:
Processor: (1) IBM Custom Power-PC 2.5 GHz dual-threaded
Cache: 256 KB L1 cache, 1 MB of L2 cache (an L3 cache rumoured)
13 billion dot product operations per second

Revolution memory:
512 MB of 700 MHz 1T-SRAM

Revolution GPU:
Core: ATI Custom based RN520 core
GPU core at 600 MHz
Resolution: Support up to 2048 x 1268 pixels
HD support: Still being decided
Memory: 256 MB of 1T-SRAM (the RAM is supposedly better due to some "tweaking" compared to GC’s RAM. The latency, around 1.2 ns on average, and cells are much more efficient and faster).
Pipelines: 32 parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines.
Polygon Performance: 500 million triangles per second theoretical, average in-game would be <100 million/sec
Shader Performance: ~50 billion shader operations per second

Other Info:
Revolution will support a PPU chip (Physical Processing Chip). There will be 32 MB of its own RAM, which will link to the CPU and GPU and the controller. There will also be a separate sound card that will support only DD 5.1 - DTS 7.1 (rumour has it with 16 MB, like the Nintendo Cube DSP).
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=5710078#post5710078

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Well... Can someone in the know tell me what does that mean? hehehehe

It's like someone mentioned here already. It comes to a point where the race to have more power really doesn't mean anything... I mean, you have "good-looking game" competing agains "more good-looking game", even though they're both pretty much the same, and are kinda boring games to begin with. So yeah, I'm waiting for Nintendo to announce the Revo games, but I know from experience they usually go heavy on the story and experience sides, which is what I like.

NowInc

Rare re-did conker..and that was AWESOME for xbox (multiplayer especially)

As for the new "retro" kick on next gen consoles..

Its a bad market thanks in large part to Emulation. Its been around for almost a decade at this point and MOST of the people who want to play their "old games" are already doing so for free on their home computers.

One of the main reasons I originally bought an Xbox was for the hard drive. Once I modded it (yeah yeah) I not only put a much larger hard drive in there (300 gigs) but I loaded it up with a LOT of emulation software so I can do the classics on my TV. (Im a emu dev BTW so I know a thing or two regarding emulation). The PSP is gaining popularity now with the underground gaming community because of the ability some have found to run homebrew software on it (aka..emulation). Im sure a few will pay for the "retro" service, but it really shouldnt be a MAJOR focus of the system release.

NowInc

imagineer99 said:
NowInc said:
Rare re-did conker..and that was AWESOME for xbox (multiplayer especially)
Admit it, though, that game was just N64's Conker with a pretty face. The clunky camera remained...

That it was..but it was still a fantastic game remake. The camera..yeah..it was pretty bad...

Trust me...you havnt heard the last from Rare...they were a smart investment.

WDWBro

NowInc said:
That it was..but it was still a fantastic game remake. The camera..yeah..it was pretty bad...

Trust me...you havnt heard the last from Rare...they were a smart investment.

Can you say Kameo and PD Zero? AW YEAH!! :D

stitchcastle

speaking from a former gamer turned non-gamer, I gotta say Nintendo is ont he right track by totally going for soemthing completely new. The new controller concept is brilliant IMHO and would definately take gaming to a whole new world and open new possibilities as well as attract a large number of people who've always been afraid to tackle the large adn ever changing world of gaming. I'm definately getting me on of em Revolutions, in fact, I think it's the only 3rd gen console I'll be getting

NowInc

They just better pray it works!

Anybody else besides me get suckered into getting a powerglove and a u-force back in the 80s?

if so you can understand my wearyness towards this thing as of right now :)

MKCustodial

Original Poster
This is not the first time I'm hearing about this U-Force. What is it? I do remember the Power Glove, even though I don't think it ever came to Brazil.

NowInc

MKCustodial said:
This is not the first time I'm hearing about this U-Force. What is it? I do remember the Power Glove, even though I don't think it ever came to Brazil.

A really horribly non-responcive controller free input device. The idea was cool (wave your hand in front of it etc)...but it really didnt work at all..

http://www.nes.com.br/uforce.jpg

CaptainMichael

If this is going to be such a big deal, I believe that Microsoft and Sony will come up with something similar. As for me, I'll stick with a traditional controller for now.

Bring on XBOX 360 and Knights of the Old Republic 3!

MKCustodial

Original Poster
I just read Sony is pushing PS3 to be released "sometime late in 2006" in Japan, no word on the US and the rest of the world. You guys think it may have something to do with Revo, since up until now they were so sure they'd be launching in the beginning of the year?

CaptainMichael

MKCustodial said:
I just read Sony is pushing PS3 to be released "sometime late in 2006" in Japan, no word on the US and the rest of the world. You guys think it may have something to do with Revo, since up until now they were so sure they'd be launching in the beginning of the year?
Maybe...I wish Microsoft would have waited a little longer, but it's a little late for that. They're probably about to start manufacturing them for the Holiday Season. Initially they'll sell a bunch, but I'm not so sure it will be able to compete with PS3 when it finally comes out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom